Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!  (Read 25927 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2020, 07:06:24 pm »

Both could always be true.
I mean, I doubt he codes anything these days.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2020, 07:28:46 pm »

Alright, so I'm posting this more for the humor than anything else:
From Paradox:
This month we will publish two community challenges and, should you accomplish them both, you will get a chance to win a Magna Graecia Content Pack key!

And the funny part: To prove your deeds, you will have to send us a screenshot for both challenges AND the reason why you should get a copy of Magna Graecia (get creative!) before May 1, 2020, 16:00 CEST at this email address (don’t forget to mention your name the initial letter of your surname or use a nickname): imperator-communitychallenges@paradoxinteractive.com.

So I guess "You owe me" won't cut it.

I also liked this part of their terms and conditions (items 2 & 3):
"The competition is open to everyone across the world aged 16 years or over except employees of Paradox Interactive and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition."

That means, obviously, if someone wins with a pirated copy, they still get the expansion, right?  No purchase necessary, open to everyone, right?
...and since the prize is a key, someone could pirate the game and give me the key, right?  ::)

I wish people actually read their terms and conditions before trumpeting them...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2020, 08:17:16 pm »

Requiring a purchase would have legal ramifications. That doesn't mean piracy becomes legal. It's not a smart legal battle to get into with them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2020, 07:38:27 am »

Requiring a purchase would have legal ramifications. That doesn't mean piracy becomes legal. It's not a smart legal battle to get into with them.

Well, as I see it, the entrants need only send an email with screenshots, any name they chose to go by, and their plea why they should win.  No personally-identifiable information is required.  So a pirate could very well win.  I mean, if nobody really cared enough to do both challenges except someone that pirated the game, then I pretty much guarantee that they would win, since it would better to give out the prize than admit that nobody really wanted it that badly.

Please note two things, for the record:
1) I own the base game
2) The prize is a DLC to the base game, and thus useless to someone that pirated the game, unless they wanted to go legit and buy the game to install their prize.  Which would be a win for the company as it results in a sale they otherwise would not have.

EDIT: Also note that I'm not really advocating piracy, I just find the whole thing interesting.  But thanks for taking the humor out of it.   :'(

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2020, 03:56:06 am »

Contestants could also use a friend's copy, which would be a way to submit an entrance with a legit copy

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2020, 05:36:55 am »

So the challenge is to find the trigger for the screenshots...  ;)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2020, 10:42:46 am »

A new content pack is out.  Nobody seems to care, I wonder why.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »

$4, free if you bought the higher game tiers, mostly cosmetic or quest related:

Quote from: Features
Unique Army Model for Epirus
Unique Ship Model for Epirus
Special Epirote Monument: the Oracle complex of Dodona
6 Event Chains related to the life of Pyrrhus of Epirus each with new art
3 Additional Epirus Event chains, new to Imperator: Rome
One new music track
$4 is pretty cheap, but this seems rather narrow and unrelated to any of the game's many, many deficiencies. I wonder if they've accepted that it's a really niche game now, or if they just can't stop themselves from churning out story pack DLC nobody wanted.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:20 pm »

I'd want this pack if I still played Rome. I love me some Pyrrhus
Love, scriver~

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2021, 09:19:12 pm »

Heirs of Alexander came out today (and therefor there huge 2.0 overhaul).

Haven't played it yet, so I have nothing else to add. But figured I'd get this thread alive and people a heads up the update is out.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2021, 02:49:55 am »

Have they ever fixed the 'run out of characters because they're too stupid to marry and produce heirs' unless you assimilate the characters from everyone you conquer?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2021, 09:42:17 pm »

I liked Imperator in some ways but I gave it a bad Steam review because while it has neat systems like the population promotion system (though I'd wish it was easier to emancipate your civilization's slaves even if that doesn't fit so much with the time era; with a tradeoff of course) it still feels like it could use some work.

I bought it on one of the early pandemic sales. I am glad they are still working on it, because I do think it has plenty of potential.

The thing I liked the least was the AI alliance making not being sensible. For example, as Rome, whoever Carthage allies to greatly determines your path. It makes sense for Carthage to block you, though not right at game start as Carthage's first alliiance. It would make sense once Rome starts ballooning (I save the Etruscans for later usually). Sometimes however Carthage offers it's first alliance to Rome, and I'm like why me? Why the backwater Italian province? How does that help Carthage when I don't have a navy to speak of? I should be completely off the radar so to speak for them. The Etruscans would have made much more sense if it had to be in Italy. Othertimes Carthage picks a one province power.

I do kind of like how easy it is to raise legions though it's much less challenging managing them than CK levies. The AI also didn't make the same kinds of doomstacks I was making as Rome either, even comparable powers early game such as the Etruscans, Carthage or bigger Italiot alliances.

I also REALLY disliked that Rome has a national decisions or whatnot (can't remembe what it's called in this one) tree that has a peaceful unification path, but it seems to function in that it's absolutely impossible to bribe, befriend, cajole or threaten 100% of Italy because it seems to be scripted to force you to fight at least one of the proposed alliance targets; which also seems to be somewhat random which will reject your offers if you've increaed their opinion on each as much as you can. Even if you can manage to get them all to positive relations before triggering the decision, at least one will always reject you and you'll have to fight them.

I guess the point is getting a whole bunch of alliance, not a complete unification, but it's so costly compared to the conquer path.

This is frustrating because going the peaceful path is actually much, much more time consuming and resource expensive than just building a legion doomstack and DoW neighbors. The conquer tree also has some nice positives.

Also wasn't a fan of all the post victory executions; I'd rather not have to adopt them as new politicians most of the time (unless they are pretty great; I found bloating your politics with foreign cultures can cause minor problems later; I assume if I had built more theaters and culture related buildings that would reduce as they convert to Roman culture) but don't want to murder them either.

I did have some good times though; once my Rome had ballooned and wanted I think Sardinia. Carthage was allied with them, and had many boats. I snuck a small army to Sardinia before the Carthaginian navy arrived. Then I moved my doomstack to Carthage's furthest East territory and rampaged West all the way to Carthage. I kept going long after 100% warscore because of all the loot and populations I was taking. I had to stop or face a revolt from long war penalties. Good times.

EDIT: I also tried a short Tribal game, and I was amazed how fast Tribals gain technology compared to the Romans. It's so much cheaper, though limited to a lower tier. As Rome it felt like I unlock maybe one or two per tier before the next tier is reached. With Tribal I could have unocked the whole first tier because their tech as a one county/province power is like 5 gold or something compared to Rome's being many times that even at game start.

In other words, technology felt very expensive as Rome.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:13:31 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2021, 10:46:45 pm »

My opinion is its okay and vastly better than it was before (though I actually do NOT like the UI changes), but I've barely touched it. I think Imperium Universalis mod for EU4 is a ton better with way better systems and what not (granted its still built on EU4), and a vastly better looking map than imperator rome (not the size but how it actually looks)...and its a mod...though I think pops are better in imperator just cause its specifically designed for that. Mostly though I think the map for the mod is just so far ahead in quality that its kinda sad a map is worse in a paid game in relatively same era.

Granted mod not out till next week for 1.30 (old version is no longer supported and very old), but I gave the dev test version a go and its just so far ahead of Imperator its kinda sad.

Also playing small nations is stupid now in Imperator. Maybe tribals are better? But at least sparta was possible before, but now its just a BS experience and all the small nations like them.

So to sum it up...

Whats the point of buying (or playing if already bought it) Imperator when a mod is better lol. Though I suppose still gotta buy EU4 for it...but its still better.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:50:18 pm by The_Explorer »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2021, 11:43:20 pm »

So since above was a bit negative (I just think the mod based in same time period is better and it has multiple start dates, both earlier and there is one same start as imperator roughly).

So despite it being a straight nerf to small nations like Sparta, I think the army/war system is so much better. Its a huge improvement over EU4 if playing a medium/big nation. Taking people within the land (if they are willing) and using them as levies is really fitting for the time period and does make this part better than the mod which just has huge standing armies (it is EU4 after all). The wonder system is cool, and I look forward to it being in more of their games (paradox seems to LOVE their wonder mechanic that they are putting them in every game of theirs lol).

And that is probably the best change for me. Wars and military are a lot better. I think a lot of minor/smaller (for me) improvements to, so overall game is better in general than it was. Like I said though, UI is worse for me but I never had a problem with the UI before so heh. I think its more how it looks color wise than the UI itself though.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2021, 08:25:08 am »

Some things Imperator does right. I am super glad pops are back, I think theyre a super fun part of any game theyre in--and it's certainly fun messing around with different population sizes are placement. Colonization and de population. Road building I think is a good stab at infrastructure--although it ends up being too easy and underdeveloped--but nevertheless a fun idea.

However, the family system just feels meh and its hidden in its own menu/made to feel more like a little side game to the real game. You know honestly, I wish there was an option to fully automate family politics--it would be fun (I think) to have to hold nations together through the reigns of truly awful rulers. Sometimes rebellions are unavoidable. I think it would help some of the conditions of history that made aggressive expansion so difficult.

Also I can't put my finger on it, but something is slightly off about army building...

X/Y/Z other thing, but thats the big stuff.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12