Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Glitch fortress succession game.  (Read 9950 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch fortress succession game.
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2019, 08:42:26 pm »

Got it. I'll put you in front of Vindcara for now.
Spoiler: Turnlist (click to show/hide)

Should I send the PMs to the remaining three players? Or is it time to start?
If we're starting now... wierd, which of us would you like to go first? I've no real opinions on the matter.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2019, 08:58:42 pm »

It seems that whenever a fort is played in the glitchworld, the parent civ somehow gets fully revived in ~3 years and starts sending trade caravans and outpost liaisons.
Is there a way to kill off the civ to the point that migrants won't arrive after the 2 hardcoded waves?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2019, 12:27:02 am »

I don't know...  Perhaps do a single embark them "retire" immediately-- that will give the civ an actual existing pool of histfigs to draw migrants from that is EXTREMELY limited. That should bypass whatever magic-hat routine is generating random dwarves in subsequent embarks??

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2019, 12:35:11 am »

My extremely limited testing shows that embarking, then retiring immediately (<1 day after embark) doesn't disable Fortress mode, so that's a good sign.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2019, 08:09:54 am »

In a ressurection game I played - zero dwarf civilians in the civ - on my third fort in that world, I would get about 90% named dwarves and then some spontaneously created dwarves as well.

So limiting might be hard. Set pop-cap maybe?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2019, 08:37:40 am »

Who starts first?  I dunno.  I want to jump into the mess somebody else starts though.  I have a nasty habit of either picking places that are unsuitable even for demonic occupation, or places that are too rainbows and sunshine, and when I try to do otherwise, I overthink the situation.

It's better for me to just delegate where I have such obvious weaknesses.  I made a world where there is a lot of variety of ways to die.  How we end up dying, I like that to be a surprise.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2019, 08:53:12 am »

Welp, guess I'm kicking this off then. *glup*

Is there anything left we need to sort out before we start? Pop-cap or whatever?
And what should our embark be like? How large? What sort of geology? Aquifer or no aquifer? What should the geography be like-- flat ground as far as the eye can see? Towering cliff-face to dig into? Rolling valleys to build over?

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2019, 09:10:09 am »

That's the beauty of delegation; I dont want to pick those things, and I get to roll with whatever somebody else picked.

I just want it to be sufficiently challenging... So, someplace with a persistent and ever-present danger to dwarven life. There's quite a few forms to pick from.

I dont really have a preference concerning elevation, but some geographic randomness makes surface control of the embark more difficult, and thus more fun/challenging. Again, I have difficulty in picking something that is not either "Oh gawd why?" or "really? You honestly thought I would feel challenged by this?" --- hence delegation.

So-- Just surprise me, and go with your gut.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2019, 09:16:37 am »

Bit of a warning: In my experience, mud has a tendency to "evaporate", making farm plots built on muddy ground useless until remuddified. I guess you have to account for that, somehow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2019, 09:41:39 am »

Similar to .40d then.  Just use a deep cistern with a floodgate. Connect it to some persistent water source, and dummyproof with a floodgate on the intake. Calculate total fluid volume of the cistern using its dimensions to allow a close to 50-50 mix of 1 and 2 deep water in the growing chamber. 

This allows you to refill the cistern from the inlet, and once full, it is primed to perfectly re-mud the room without flooding the fortress.

(say for instance, you have a grow chamber that is 10x10, or max farm plot size. You want your cistern to contain as close to exactly 150 water as possible (perfect mix of 1 and 2 deep water when completely flooded). You want your cistern to be multiple Z deep, so you have pressure to rapidly fill the grow chamber when the floodgate is opened, so you want each level of the cistern to contain approx 75 water, and be 2z deep.  The closest perfect (and square) number, using 7 depth water in each level of the cistern, is a 3x3 room. This gives us 63 water per level, or 126 water total, which is enough to fill the grow chamber to a mixture of approx 75% 1 deep, and 25% 2 deep water every time.)

So, something like this:

Code: [Select]

Z-1
                     O---O
(water source)       |XXX|
         |---------> FXXX|
                     |XXX|
                     O---O

Z-2
    O----------O
    |          |
    |          |
    |          |
O---O          |
|XXX|          O-------------------
|XXXF  (GROW)  D   L  L   (To Fortress -->)
|XXX|  (ROOM)  O-------------------
O---O          |
    |          |
    |          |
    O----------O

Where F are floodgates, D is door, and L are levers to control the floodgates.

This could be adapted to be a multi-purpose setup:  Since each cistern is 2Z deep, each can be used to ALSO supply a single well from the floor above the waterworks level, while having the cisterns be connected to a communal water intake pipeline controlled by the dummy shutoff floodgate.  The additional water stored in the pipe network between growing chambers would just get us closer to the "Ideal" mix of 50-50 1 and 2 deep water per chamber. (current single cistern design is a little dry, but sufficient.)  We could have a whole network of small cisterns, feeding several growing chambers, all controlled by 2 levers.  First lever controls the master shutoff from the water intake source, and the second throws open all the grow chamber floodgates at once.  This totally drains all cisterns into their respective grow chambers, and empties the pipe network.  We empty all the cisterns at once, so that water in the connecting pipes is distributed evenly between all chambers, instead of flooding one in excess of 2 deep water on accident.

In this way, we could have a hospital in the floor above, for instance.

With the "200 max seeds of each type crop" limit, and with "Limited to underground crops only" restriction imposed by no soil tiles, and thus no surface plant availability-- we would need AT MOST 8 such grow chambers. We could not operate more than that, and that is assuming 100% utilization on all possible crops. (If we accept having some rooms only run half the year, we could run maybe 2 more than that, making very seasonal crops like rock nuts.)  To get more than that (and it is hard to imagine needing more than the output yeild from that with skilled farmers!) you would need to use herbalism on a massively excavated room that you regularly flood, and allow to grow moss (and wild underground plants).

It would be easier to use underground lakes for such a secondary project.  The primary one could be accomplished with some murky pools I think.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:01:33 am by wierd »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2019, 01:01:07 pm »

Just surprise me, and go with your gut.
Oh. Oh dear.

Well, I've selected a spot. It's pretty murderous, but with careful planning we should, uh... die slightly slower? It's got the geographical variation at least.

Now then... I'm going to start work on porting this over to Community Games & Stories.

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2019, 01:22:31 pm »

*squee*

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2019, 01:58:01 pm »

In light of the whole "civ-that-wouldn't die" issue, I here present a revised backstory, drawing off the magnificent piece of work wierd put up.

Spoiler: Dark Crucible (click to show/hide)

Anything y'all want changed before I finalize this?

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2019, 02:28:08 pm »

I would do it more like this I think...

Quote from: dark crucible backstory

Among the gods, there has always been a rivalry between the divinities of darkness, and those of creation. War in heaven has been tried in the past, but the results are too terrible even for the gods themselves. Even the lords of eternal night have forsworn to never act in such a way again.

Instead, to settle disputes and challenges, a system of "resolution through proof" was established.  It was through this new celestial decree, that the world of the Dark Crucible was created.

The forces of light and creation, disturbed by the corrupt and destructive nature of the beings produced by the forces of darkness, laid a challenge before their foul kinsmen. "We labor eternally to create worlds of peace and harmony, and you create nothing. You take what we have made, and twist it into horrors. You take the great forests we labor to cultivate, and turn them into barren expanses of death and decay.  We challenge you: CREATE SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN."

And so, they did.

In a shameless mockery of the denizens of light and creation, the dark gods created a world like no other. Every effort was taken. The safe, orderly matter of the world's foundations they instead produced from the essences of pestilence, pain, cruelty and decay themselves given solid forms. Unspeakable horrors innumerable they created wholesale, and placed upon the world. Vast forests of evil, seas of despair, deserts of madness, and savannas of cruelty they meticulously crafted.  Then, in a final backhanded blow, the gods of darkness performed one last act of blasphemous creation.

They created perfect replicas of the favored children of the light-- Elves, Men, and Dwarves-- and placed them into this savage charnel-house of their own design. To test their plans, they watched for a millenium, as the creatures they had made ruthlessly slaughtered the facsimiles of the light: quickly, efficiently, and in their totality. Content with their design, the evil ones laughed, and gloated, and rested... not realizing in their hubris that they were wrong; Stalwart and hardy, they had made their copies of dwarven kind only TOO well. Clinging to existence in dark places overlooked even by the dark gods themselves, small pockets of the proud children of the mountains took refuge, gnawing impotently at the roots of great peaks, clawing through the filthy rotting flesh of the world to take refuge in its bones beneath, or hiding in obscurity in dark goblin pits as either prisoners, chattel, or illegal residents. No-one knows how many lie in hiding, awaiting the fullfillment of their inner natures-- Riches, Power, Prestige and Order. A mighty civilization to be proud of, built on honest labor and the merits of fine craft...

Self-righteous, and full of pride, the lords of darkness challenged back:

"Take what we have made, and make this a world of order! Do so only with what we have created, since you loathe having things changed so much!" they jeered-- A million voices both seductive and foul alike, cackled from the blackness of creation like the wails from an asylum.

With a subtle touch, the light shone on a single spot on this accursed plane.

A multiverse waits with bated breath, as seven children of Armok creep into the jungle with the name "Dawnthunder" at their lips, a vision of a new life and a fire in their hearts guiding them...

But who will stand last, masters of the crucible?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:44:38 pm by wierd »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »

Yup, that works.

I'm gonna hop over to CG&S and get cracking on a new thread. Anybody want a dorfing? Our seven founders are:

- Sakzul Roastedportals (Miner/Diagnostician) (claimed)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- Iden Inkycried (Weaponsmith/Cook) (claimed)

- Shorast Squashedmirrored (Armorsmith/Brewer) (claimed)

- Thikut Thronerings (Planter, weaponmooder)

- Atir Bootmessiah (Hammerdwarf)

- Olon Rackdives (Mechanic/Stonecrafter/Administrator) (claimed)

- Dodok Sealabbeys (Architect/Woodcutter/Carpenter/Mason)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 04:19:58 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7