Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to organize the /u/ menu?  (Read 1100 times)

TheElfMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Any way to organize the /u/ menu?
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:18 pm »

I love dwarf fortress, but I hate how I can't organize my dwarf list menu under /u/. Is there anyway to specifically arrange where the dwarfs are on the list, or to change the colour of their names on the list?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to organize the /u/ menu?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:13:29 pm »

Not without DFHack. I'm not aware of any plugin that lets you manually arrange them, but there's a search function and a custom screen that lets you sort by various things.

The colors are based on the dwarves' professions. Without DFHack, the dwarves are only grouped by profession and then sorted by when they arrived at your fort.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:16:05 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:10:59 am »

While I can appreciate feeling that with dfhack and Dwarf Therapist it is not "clean DF" I think that when you becomu annoyed by UI it is ok to use 3-party tools. Complicat UI is not part of the challenge (IMHO).
I use /u/ menu only when I need to zoom to specific dwarf. For any another function it is to frustrating to use it.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 06:41:09 pm »

Let me say, as a vanilla purist, I don't think there is any reason for *anyone* to feel embarrassed about how they play the game.  It's *your* game.  Do what you like.  DFHack and DT represent years of work by people trying to improve the game.  It's like feeling bad for putting chocolate sauce on your vanilla ice cream.  If you like chocolate sauce, then go for it!

The only thing I, personally, react negatively to is the idea that the game is unplayable without DFHack or DT. I get even more upset if I see demands from people for Toady to include DT in the main game.  I *like* vanilla.  I *don't like* chocolate sauce.  I want my vanilla without chocolate sauce :-)  I sometimes feel like its a shame that a lot of people don't try vanilla.   They get sucked into the idea that DFHack and DT (and fancy tilesets with TWBT) are necessary for the game. They never get to see the vanilla game and therefore miss some of its nuances.  Every once in a while I think it's worth discussing the idea of trying vanilla and working through the difficult bits to see where it takes you.  However, since Kruggsmash plays vanilla (though doesn't use all its features), I think more people can see that it's a viable option and there is less need to sing the praises of vanilla.

Anyway, as a vanilla user, I find the u screen practically useless when the fortress gets above a certain size.  I use j a lot more often to see what dwarfs are doing.  But it means that you need to find a different way to keep track of groups of dwarfs.  In the past I've made squads and occasionally had meetings -- i.e., the dwarfs in a particular squad all get stationed to a particular location.  I then look through them that way.  Lately I've been trying to organise my dwarfs by familial groups and have family members live near each other, forming neighbourhoods.  I then try my best (without burrows, which are a PITA) to incentivise the dwarfs to stay in their neighbourhoods.  I assign workshops using the P menu and so their job is there.  I turn on and off various hauling options so that I don't have the entire fortress hauling wood when I cut down a tree.  I give them personal temples and dining rooms, etc, etc.  It's working *fairly* well, but it's hard to set up, as you can imagine.

However, it's stuff like this that I find engaging about the game.  If I had a functional u menu, it would make it *much* easier to treat the game like a typical RTS.  The dwarfs just become units of production that I shuffle around and try to optimise.  Instead I'm working by butt off trying to arrange things so that the dwarfs stay together with their families -- all because u is broken ;-)

Still, like I said, my goal is not to tell you how to play the game, but just to shine light on the idea that there are other ways to play the game in case it might not have occurred to you.  It is easier, by far, to use DFHack, though :-)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:18:33 pm »

What's with all this unsolicited vanilla versus dfhack advice? I'm just saying it's not possible in vanilla.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:22:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:25 am »

Yeah.  Sorry.  Probably not the time nor place.  I was very sleepy yesterday and just typed on and on and on... :-(