Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a tool for save game archiving?  (Read 769 times)

Romi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a tool for save game archiving?
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:17:15 pm »

The entry I read about savegame seem a little confusing, i'd rather not waste time on this and have the most optimal compression. Is there any easy to use tool that archive a savegame?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a tool for save game archiving?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:54:19 pm »

If you're already using DF's save compression, then they don't get much smaller. I just use 7-zip and use the lowest compression.

For using uncompressed DF saves, I'm not sure which compression level you'd want to use. You'd have to experiment with compression versus wasted time.

You can store your saves on DFFD to keep them safe. (Probably under "Miscellaneous".) You can put a password on the archive if you don't want anyone to use it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:57:42 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Romi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:53:34 am »

Not sure about DF save compression, I am using the lazy newb pack with default settings.  And the region folder in 'data\save' is a couple of hundred megabytes large, which isn't a great thing for my weak upload here. Will using 7-zip make a dent here?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:57:09 am »

For most worlds I don't think you can get less than a couple hundred MB. The longer the history and larger the world, the bigger it's going to be.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:00:01 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?