Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 482925 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: MOOK: Fixer upper
« Reply #3705 on: May 16, 2021, 11:38:13 am »

Keep searching through the internet looking at any info from before the disaster, like what they were doing and such.
[4] Inquiry in this way about this subject seems to be reaching the end of its usefulness, but you do find out that, according to a source within the aquisitions department, there was a large supply of lithium ordered for the project.

Chill in the driver's seat of the aircraft tug. Just chill. Wait for someone to be done with the thing's battery.

Check if it has enough computery goodness to hold Burt. We could always use a BurtPC to match the EdPC.

Spoiler: Edward (click to show/hide)

[2] The Tug does have a computer, but it looks quite simple. Nowhere near powerful enough to run Burt's brain.

See if I can find out where the institute’s operations in the airport were located. Maybe an office or a shipping dock, or a secret bunker or something. They have to have had infrastructure to move things from the airport to the lab.

After that’s done, search the planes for valuables, then help load crates of electronics onto the EPC

Leave my boxes of stuff with the other crates for now

Spoiler: Ji (click to show/hide)
[3]
Ji searches around. She assumes that if these guys were shipping things in and out with any frequency they must have some sort of logistics center set up here. Maybe nothing but some manager tucked into a closet, but something. After a great deal of searching, the only thing she manges to find is a box stuffed in with a lot of other boxes in the abandoned admin offices. Most of the paper work is badly rotted by water, but she manages to gleen a few things from what is still legible.

Apparently they shifted their operations out of here a few weeks before the disaster, having completed their use of the airport. It mentions another "Shipping Center" though, in detroit itself. It gives no real indication as to what it is, but there's an address.

Remain in plane.
Await fate.
Anticipate Big Snack.

Spoiler: Team Mascot (click to show/hide)
BOB

”The real question to ask right now is if we should leave someone inside the airport while the shift happens or if we should make sure to exit the place first. My money’s on the former.

“Actually, No, there’s an easy way to find out if it’s safe or not. Let’s just go find a squirrel, or a snail or something and see what happens to it!”

Go outside the airport and start looking for small defenceless animals. Digging for worms/grubs/beatles is an option as well. Put them in a universal containment pod and then leave it somewhere in the airport

Also, ponder if the pass-locked briefcase may be the cause of these time-warping shenanigans. I mean there had to have been something in this airport to cause it.

Spoiler: Baldwin (click to show/hide)
[5]
Baldwin runs out into the tall grass and returns with a big fat rat in a containment pod. He places it down next to the plane.
[3]
Hmmm. He doesn't think the source of this is in the suitcase.

The other planes reveal similar things on their recorders and data logs. The crates contain carefully packaged and sealed electronic components: huge circuit boards and wrapped in milky plastic and held in custom fitted foam. They have numbers and designations connected to them but their purpose isn't readily conprehensible.
Send pics of these to command, maybe they can make some more sense out of what these could have been used for. 

However, there is one final package that he finds aboard the "Ghost" plane that Bob restored. it was tucked in a corner of the cargo hold, apparently forgotten. Its only about the size of a large suitcase but is excessively robust and densely armored. Unlike the other metal crates this one is locked tight. [2] Yagyu isn't sure what the password for it would be either.

Does it seem like the electronic lock could be hacked? If yes, hook it up to EdPC and see if he can do something. If not, does it seem like we could just pick the lock? What roll would this require?

If also not, could I cut/break open the lock/briefcase in a bout of handiwork without damaging what's inside? Does it look like the briefcase might have anti-tampering measures or that it might destroy what's inside when not opened properly? 

"I think we'll want to wait with loading these crates into EdPC until we know for sure what happens to them during a ghostplane event.

Also, I think we have a few building left to explore as well, so let's not leave quite yet."

Let's hold off on loading the crates into EdPC for now, just in case. Instead, leave one a few meters away from where we found it (but still on the airport grounds), and leave one just outside of the airport grounds (but with line of sight of the place we found it if possible). In case the behavior is different when the crate leaves the anomalous area.

Finally, we still had some building we haven't explored yet, right? Or were they part of what we looked through already?

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)
Yagyu uploads the pics to the Omniscient network.

[2] Hacking the lock seems like a viable strategy so Yagyu wirelessly connects the EdPC to it. If only the team had some sort of dedicated computer hacking member. Maybe one in a super powerful robotic body or something . Oh well.
[2]
The EdPC attempts to hack into the container but is rebuffed. Hmm.

[7] When the clever way fails, Yagyu moves on to the crafty way. He checks the box over for any tampering countermeasures and carefully disconnects the thermite bomb attached near the rear hinges. That done, he severs the lock with a bit of careful laser application and lifts the lid. Within the box is a layer of protective foam, a shrink wrapped capsule, more foam in side that, and finally a metal tube. He twists an endcap off that and pulls out a rack of what look like thick slices of glass. These miniture slabs are about 6 inches tall and 4 wide and 2 thick, perfectly clear except for a sort glittery haze. That haze seems most dense in the center and fades out towards the edges. Closer examination reveals the haze to actually be a massively complex network of golden wires each several times thinner than a human hair. The slabs are featureless except for a small alphanumeric code inscribed on one face.

Yagyu's alarm goes off.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: May 16, 2021, 12:42:29 pm »

”That’s a brain! Those slides of glass each contain a piece of brain, thin enough to be scanned by a computer!”

“It may not be a literal flesh and blood brain, but that thing was definitely once conscious!”
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Clouds like raw meat
« Reply #3707 on: May 16, 2021, 12:47:02 pm »

Preparing chompers.
They are ready to bite.
Big Snack incoming.

I don't know if the spiderbot has a Haiku appreciation function, but if it does, I am sure it is quite pleased with that little bit of poetry.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: May 16, 2021, 04:47:35 pm »

Does Ed's alarm also go off, or just Yagyu's?

If no alarm, snooze a lil bit in the driver seat.

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: May 17, 2021, 12:48:39 am »

Beat feet back to the EPC. If there’s time, punch the address into the net to see where exactly in Detroit it is.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: May 17, 2021, 02:18:17 am »

"Does anyone care if those people we're looking for bought a bunch of lithium, because I have no idea if it helps us or not."
Search the internet for any business around our current location that had robots that are potentially capable of holding my mind.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: May 17, 2021, 10:31:21 am »

"Maybe they all had bipolar disorder?"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: May 17, 2021, 10:44:09 am »

"We've been seeing a lot of electronic components in the crates so far. Maybe the Lithium is being used to make batteries?"
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: May 17, 2021, 10:58:05 am »

"They's also need like some ions or some polymers to make batteries so lets keep an eye our for those too."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Is it a war crime if you do it accidently?
« Reply #3714 on: May 17, 2021, 06:45:34 pm »

Alrighty, fuck it.  I got no more mundane ideas, so let's lean on the arcane.

Summon up some ghostie friends.  Tell them to find access into the tunnels beneath the hospital.  Let's see what they can dig up.

...Also, I'm switching Wilfred's D8 in melee into guns.  Roll for consequences, I guess?

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: May 17, 2021, 07:25:47 pm »

Hold it right there Piecewise! I wanna know the precise nature of the alarm before I act!

Is this the alarm that goes off right before a "burst", or whatever it was called, that weird storm thingy?

EDIT:

Get out of the airport and follow Yagyu

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:06:41 am by heydude6 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: May 18, 2021, 03:00:49 am »

"Hey Burt, after we're done with this, perhaps we can first look around for a body for you so you can be more active again. Could you perhaps look around a bit online to see where exactly we would have a good chance of finding you one? If you still want one, of course.

Nice find, Ji, guess we have another lead now."

[2] Hacking the lock seems like a viable strategy so Yagyu wirelessly connects the EdPC to it. If only the team had some sort of dedicated computer hacking member. Maybe one in a super powerful robotic body or something . Oh well.
Can we turn this hypothetical team member into a fancy paperweight? What about a novelty scarecrow?

[7] When the clever way fails, Yagyu moves on to the crafty way. He checks the box over for any tampering countermeasures and carefully disconnects the thermite bomb attached near the rear hinges. That done, he severs the lock with a bit of careful laser application and lifts the lid. Within the box is a layer of protective foam, a shrink wrapped capsule, more foam in side that, and finally a metal tube. He twists an endcap off that and pulls out a rack of what look like thick slices of glass. These miniture slabs are about 6 inches tall and 4 wide and 2 thick, perfectly clear except for a sort glittery haze. That haze seems most dense in the center and fades out towards the edges. Closer examination reveals the haze to actually be a massively complex network of golden wires each several times thinner than a human hair. The slabs are featureless except for a small alphanumeric code inscribed on one face.

The laser used for this, was it the pulse laser?

Take some representative close-up pictures and upload them to command. Then close the box again carefully with the samples properly stored inside.

Yagyu's alarm goes off.

"Welp, that's our cue."

Retreat to just outside the airport. On the way there spread around some more flares so we'll definitely be able to see everything going on. Leave the box with samples at the spot we originally found it for now until we know what happens to these things during an event (we have the 2 other crates to see how they respond).

During the event, observe what happens. And what happens to Bob (be sure to tag him with the biorhythm tracker).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 06:04:14 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: May 18, 2021, 04:44:14 am »

Hold it right there Piecewise! I wanna know the precise nature of the alarm before I act!

Is this the alarm that goes off right before a "burst", or whatever it was called, that weird storm thingy?

((Pretty sure this is the alarm for when the ghost plane event will likely happen. The weird storm is a bit unpredictable, but is supposedly preceded by some pretty noticeable phenomena.

Of course, I've been wrong about these kinds of things before.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3718 on: May 19, 2021, 12:19:58 pm »

Preparing chompers.
They are ready to bite.
Big Snack incoming.

I don't know if the spiderbot has a Haiku appreciation function, but if it does, I am sure it is quite pleased with that little bit of poetry.

Bob, sitting in the cockpit of the plane, settles in to wait. His robot spidercat begins clapping with its front legs for some reason.

Does Ed's alarm also go off, or just Yagyu's?

If no alarm, snooze a lil bit in the driver seat.

The alarm going off is Yagyu's alarm for what he THINKS is the rough time the double exposure will begin again.

Beat feet back to the EPC. If there’s time, punch the address into the net to see where exactly in Detroit it is.
Ji runs back to the EdPC. As per where that thing is...ask me on monday when I can access my pc and not have to try and navigate the map with my phone.

"Does anyone care if those people we're looking for bought a bunch of lithium, because I have no idea if it helps us or not."
Search the internet for any business around our current location that had robots that are potentially capable of holding my mind.
[3] A quick search reveals only that there were companies in ann arbor using robots. Finding exact addresses proves impossible for the moment.

EDIT:

Get out of the airport and follow Yagyu

De-assing the area with the quickness.

"Hey Burt, after we're done with this, perhaps we can first look around for a body for you so you can be more active again. Could you perhaps look around a bit online to see where exactly we would have a good chance of finding you one? If you still want one, of course.

Nice find, Ji, guess we have another lead now."

Can we turn this hypothetical team member into a fancy paperweight? What about a novelty scarecrow?

The laser used for this, was it the pulse laser?

Take some representative close-up pictures and upload them to command. Then close the box again carefully with the samples properly stored inside.

Yagyu's alarm goes off.

"Welp, that's our cue."

Retreat to just outside the airport. On the way there spread around some more flares so we'll definitely be able to see everything going on. Leave the box with samples at the spot we originally found it for now until we know what happens to these things during an event (we have the 2 other crates to see how they respond).

During the event, observe what happens. And what happens to Bob (be sure to tag him with the biorhythm tracker).

(yes, pulse laser, but we'll assume you lowered the intensity enough to do it carefully and as such it doesn't need to recharge)

Yagyu takes careful pictures and video of the objects in the box and then returns them to their proper place.

Yagyu scatters flares as he leaves the airport, trying to get them in a sort of rough grid to visualize everything in the airport proper.

Yagyu and everyone from the airport team, minus Bob, make it out of the airport and climb up on top of the EdPC to watch. Yagyu was right in his timing, or at least roughly so. Things start to change about 8 minutes after they all reach the EdPC. The dead lights begin to, very slowly, light back up. Some of the objects that were moved, but left in the airport area, become slowly indistinct and vague, fading from one area back to where they were originally. But not all of the moved things do this, just some. The plane is one of them, but it instead fades out of existance entirely.  Bob, within it, doesn't really notice anything happening, despite the fact that he's vanishing into thin air.

The scene plays out the same as before, the ruined plane and its intact phantom fly in and land. From an outside perspective there is little new to see other than the start up and the melting away of the double exposure afterwards. But from the inside of the plane there are several interesting things. These are all things only Bob sees.

First, the plane is filled with people. Phantom people with no physical bodies to be double exposed over. Some of the people are definite, with distinct details. Some are vague, or parts of them are vague. A woman a few rows from the front has a very clear face and chest -low cut top you see-while the back of her head and the rest of her body is a sort of hazy cloud shape. Many are like this, with only a handful being more completely detailed. The most interesting one is near the back though. Its a man in a gray suit. His front is very well detailed, barring his shoulders, upper arms, and neck, but his entire back is hazy. And his face is...not there. His neck just kind of ends in a blur. And while a lot of the phantoms seem frozen or to move only occasionally, this one seems to move all the time, like a real person would.

Second, there's sound, though most of it is garbled, only occasional words being audible. Charlie brown adult sounds: nothing but a lot of noise that sounds like speaking but is meaningless. The closer to the back and the headless man Bob gets, the more distinct the conversations and there are even a few that are, mostly at least, comprehensible.

And finally, nothing happens. No disaster, no poiniant remark, no great action. The plane lands and fades away as the passenger begin to stand.

It was all a lot for a simple alligator to try and take in at once.

Alrighty, fuck it.  I got no more mundane ideas, so let's lean on the arcane.

Summon up some ghostie friends.  Tell them to find access into the tunnels beneath the hospital.  Let's see what they can dig up.

...Also, I'm switching Wilfred's D8 in melee into guns.  Roll for consequences, I guess?

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
[3] The best Will can manage to summon up is the ghost of a large rat. However, that rat does seem to know of an entrance into the tunnels, through the sewers. And it can guide Wilfried there.

No consequences this time. But you're getting damn close I'd wager.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Spooky
« Reply #3719 on: May 20, 2021, 04:41:23 am »

"Not really getting any solid leads on finding a new body, not having much hope of finding an industrial robot to use so I'm gonna try something a little different."
Search the interned for any nearby places that had an animatronic band.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 334