Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 482618 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: MOOK: Special Delivery
« Reply #3570 on: April 09, 2021, 08:18:35 pm »

TEAM OTHER GUYS

Clearly, this sandpit isn't deep enough, dig a foxhole and make a Berm towards the doomball-side out of the excess sand.
Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)
Anya, left behind, digs herself a deeper hole to hide in. This proves very frustrating in sand.

”Excellent running, lad! We’ll make it there in no time at this rate!”

Continue our afternoon run to the Bizarre. Take the direct route if possible, but avoid any hazards that might present themselves to us.

Spoiler: EEEDD (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Congregation of ED (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: STANpool (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Things done (click to show/hide)

EEEDD and CharliED run the rest of the way to the Bizarre, following the outer perimeter fence of the school until they find a gate. They head into the cluster of large but bland school buildings and are stopped  at the edge of the main grounds by two men with guns. They demand that EEEDD and CharliED hand over their weapons while they're at the Bizarre. For safety purposes.  Beyond the hindering guards they can see a wide courtyard filled with tents, ramshackle stalls, burning drums, and patrolling armed men like those in their way. The sounds of talking and music, the smell of food and booze, the spirit of wild abandon all lie in that courtyard.

"Don't hire the guy just yet. I want a 100% cut on this one!"

Search one of the old houses for a large cloth. Could be tarp, could be a tablecloth, could be blanket, maybe an old curtain?

Regardless, once I acquire my fan, run in front of the ball and start flapping wind at it to try to slow it down. Make sure to step out of the way occasionally whenever the ball gets close. Keep doing this until the ball comes to a standstill. I'm basically doing the opposite of curling.

"EDPC Can you help me with this? I wouldn't mind if you guys could grab some fans as well."

If EDPC agrees to help, have him pick me up and drive me to the ball. I'll get out when I'm in front of the ball, and get in when the ball passes me and I need the vehicle to get ahead of it again.

If the ball doesn't seem to be slowing down after a lot of effort-
Screw it! We're doing it regardless!

Throw the cloth at it like one would throw a net. The goal is for the cloth to wrap around and cover the suction ball completely.

EDIT: Observe the cloth ball for few seconds, then shoot a couple of pistol bullets at the thing with the intent of hitting the ball directly, unless the cloth immobilizes or significantly impedes its movement or suction. Based on the data of this experiment, make a guess at the answers to the following questions:

1. Is the glowing ball tangible? Or does matter pass through it?

2. Is this a lootable artifact or just an anomaly? To put it another way, is this thing closer to a vacuum or a hurricane?

3. Does it display any sign of intelligence?

4. Does its path seem predetermined, or is there a way to influence it? Besides rising and falling as the height of the ground changes, have there been any deviations in its horizontal trajectory so far? Any curves or has it been a straight line throughout?

5. Is this the famous unstoppable force?

6. Does the anomaly radiate any heat? Is there any sign that it is electrical in nature?

7. How long has this thing been around and how long will it last? Is it conceivable that this thing can be neutralized (ie. killed)?

Spoiler: Baldwin (click to show/hide)

Baldwin, undeterred by everyone else running away,  begins his investigation of the unknown physics phenomena. He finds an old curtain and attempts to hurl it over the ball like a net. The ball sucks the fabric down  and spikes it straight into the ground before sucking it back up and hurling it off behind it The cloth never covers the thing. This leads him to believe the ball is intangible.  The power of the suction increases relative to the distance from the object. The nearer it gets, the harder the suction and the faster the acceleration towards the center. Of course it then seems to pass through or near that center and go flying off with all the force it picked up. It doesn't seem intelligent, its path seems random and unshakable by obstacles, and it seems to radiate nothing but light.

As he considers it, trying to puzzle out more of its secrets, it suddenly wavers. The edge of its suction becomes visible, like a soap bubble, and ripples erratically. With a sudden sucking noise that wasn't there before it collapses down into a pinprick of white light and them vanishes with a staggeringly loud bang and burst of air.  The air bowls Baldwin over but otherwise doesn't injure him.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Clouds like raw meat
« Reply #3571 on: April 10, 2021, 08:22:15 pm »

”Fear not, noble guards, for the only weapon I carry is the faith in my heart! And all of these various blades and guns, but that's a trivial matter.”

Give up my weapons - those being the ceremonial dagger and the ammo for my minigun. See if I can convince the guards to let me have the minigun without the ammo, seeing as it's technically a religious artifact and I don't really know how to fire it anyway. If they insist, don't make a fuss. Then proceed and see what opportunities might catch my eye!

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: April 10, 2021, 11:58:43 pm »

*stretches arms*

"And that's how you kill an anomaly"

Baldwin cracks a sly grin and smokes some of his Octarine tobacco while surveying the reaction of the crowd.
Spoiler: Last seen in... (click to show/hide)

With the cheeky pose done. Baldwin heads back into the bar and tries to strike up a conversation with the bar keep.

"So I need you to be real with me man, how often do you see shit like this? Here I mean? I don't care about the things you see when you go out exploring.

"Is there anything special that keeps this place from being destroyed or have you just been lucky so far? Cause that thing almost tore through your bar, and don't even get me started on the plane crash! How do prospector's normally deal with these things when they see them, cause it seems like I surprised everyone when I just threw a curtain at the glowing golf ball. But I mean, it worked...didn't it?"

((I'll radio for the EDPC to pick me up eventually. Right now though, I want to gather some information on the anomalies.))

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: April 11, 2021, 06:40:08 am »

Investigate ze box
Spoiler: Ji (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: April 11, 2021, 06:44:48 am »

"I found the thing first and my touching it caused it to open so I should get first dibs of anything inside it."
Go rip that plastic off the box and find out what's in it.
Spoiler: Dead man walking (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: April 11, 2021, 10:39:58 am »

Go see what's in the box
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: April 11, 2021, 11:10:34 am »

Inspect the box. Does it have any curious geometric markings? Like maybe a red pentagon with a diagonal line or a green triangle with a vertical line or something like that.
Spoiler: Edward (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:20:12 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3577 on: April 11, 2021, 02:12:05 pm »

Keep an eye out for anyone trying to steal the box. (Anyone besides our team, that is.)

Also keep an eye out for drones in the air. If this was meant to test new weapons/equipment then there might be drones around to document the results of the test. And they might not be happy that we took it.

Finally scan the nearby network for any info/manual/beacons/data drives related to the equipment. If nothing is found, then use the vast library of KNOWLEDGE my new body provides me with to deduce what the equipment may be.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: April 12, 2021, 03:08:44 am »

Yeah, let's open up the box then and see what it has.

Also, question: can I fire the EdPC shells using the ferromagnetic accelerator? What about things like grenades and such? If yes, how does their damage change compared to what it is normally?

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: The Shocker
« Reply #3579 on: April 12, 2021, 02:20:13 pm »

Hearing the anomaly explode, Anya walks back through the bar and sits down at the porch.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: April 13, 2021, 01:53:31 pm »

Keep an eye on our surroundings as my teammates check out the container.

Also ping around to see if there are other drones/vehicles flying over or potentially keeping an eye on us.

Spoiler: EdPC (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3581 on: April 13, 2021, 02:22:23 pm »

Investigate ze box
Spoiler: Ji (click to show/hide)
"I found the thing first and my touching it caused it to open so I should get first dibs of anything inside it."
Go rip that plastic off the box and find out what's in it.
Spoiler: Dead man walking (click to show/hide)
Go see what's in the box
Keep an eye out for anyone trying to steal the box. (Anyone besides our team, that is.)

Also keep an eye out for drones in the air. If this was meant to test new weapons/equipment then there might be drones around to document the results of the test. And they might not be happy that we took it.

Finally scan the nearby network for any info/manual/beacons/data drives related to the equipment. If nothing is found, then use the vast library of KNOWLEDGE my new body provides me with to deduce what the equipment may be.

Yeah, let's open up the box then and see what it has.

Also, question: can I fire the EdPC shells using the ferromagnetic accelerator? What about things like grenades and such? If yes, how does their damage change compared to what it is normally?

Keep an eye on our surroundings as my teammates check out the container.

Also ping around to see if there are other drones/vehicles flying over or potentially keeping an eye on us.

Spoiler: EdPC (click to show/hide)

(The FMA can fire just about anything magnetic that you can pick up. It can fire the shells, though they're likely gonna tumble and not be as sure and reliable as they would be from the cannon. Damage would depend. If they explode then it would be the same. If they tumble and hit sideways and don't explode, will depend on size and weight and speed and then I choose a dice that sounds right. )

The group immediately digs into the box like wild dogs into a rare steak, shredding the thick black plastic layers away with their bare hands. Within that plastic is yet another box, this one made of some sort of crystal clear plastic. Within that plastic is some sort of machine, all folded up like a butterfly in a cocoon. They scrabble about until they find an embossed sign on one edge of the box; the sign reads "Strike here" and points to a corner of the box. Sam promptly headbutts the corner and then falls backwards with a momentarily cracked skull. A crack appears in the box and within a second has spread out along all the edges so that it simply falls open, all the sides toppling away from the contents. The machine inside is a blindingly bright and perfectly polished chrome and as the walls fall away it unfurls and expands. Its a plane...or maybe "flying machine" is more accurate.  What it resembles most closely is a dragon fly: Double pair of shimmering wings that look no thicker than a sheet of tinfoil attached to a bulbous cockpit with a long trailing tail and six articulated landing gear legs. The cockpit is almost peanut shaped, a sort of swollen hourglass with two seats, one pointed forward and the other pointed back, enclosed in a clear plastic bubble. Rounded conical protrusions of metal branch from the main body and hold the wings, apparently concealing the engines that power the movement of the wings. The thing looks just big enough to hold two normal sized people and strong enough to survive a mild breeze.

There's a thin pamphlet marked "INSTRUCTIONS" secured to the seat of the forward facing chair.

Pathos and the EdPC, scanning the sky, note the movement of drones towards the east, apparently towards where the glider crashed. No sign of thieves...yet.

*stretches arms*

"And that's how you kill an anomaly"

Baldwin cracks a sly grin and smokes some of his Octarine tobacco while surveying the reaction of the crowd.
Spoiler: Last seen in... (click to show/hide)

With the cheeky pose done. Baldwin heads back into the bar and tries to strike up a conversation with the bar keep.

"So I need you to be real with me man, how often do you see shit like this? Here I mean? I don't care about the things you see when you go out exploring.

"Is there anything special that keeps this place from being destroyed or have you just been lucky so far? Cause that thing almost tore through your bar, and don't even get me started on the plane crash! How do prospector's normally deal with these things when they see them, cause it seems like I surprised everyone when I just threw a curtain at the glowing golf ball. But I mean, it worked...didn't it?"

((I'll radio for the EDPC to pick me up eventually. Right now though, I want to gather some information on the anomalies.))

Baldwin does his best to look impressive and cool. Most people don't seem to notice him as they walk back towards the bar. Someone gives him a few claps, but they might have been sarcastic. Hard to say. He assumes they were in awe and returns to the bar, vindicated. He strikes up a conversation with the barkeep.

According to the barkeep what they saw was a "Snap" but a particularly large and powerful one. First one he's seen like that in a long time. In terms of issues that occur here, at the bar, generally they'll have something pop up every couple of days. Usually just a snap drifting by near them, or a small spontaneous transmutation effecting the structure somewhere. The worst that has happened in recent memory is when a support beam for the house got partially transmuted into air or some other gas and the entire ceiling started to lean inwards until some new wood got wedged into place.

He says that these things happen everywhere, but that its completely random. The chances of something big happening at any particular place is relatively low, even if they happen all the time. There's hundreds of miles out there for things to happen in, chance of it happening here is pretty minimal. Same with anywhere else really.  As per your curtain thing, he says he doubts thats what ended the snap. Those things die out naturally, though generally in a few seconds not in minutes like it did. Nothing like that lasts long this far out from the disaster zone. 

Hearing the anomaly explode, Anya walks back through the bar and sits down at the porch.
Anya wanders back to the bar and sits down on the porch steps, looking out into the darkness. A house somewhere down the road shifts and partially collapses.

”Fear not, noble guards, for the only weapon I carry is the faith in my heart! And all of these various blades and guns, but that's a trivial matter.”

Give up my weapons - those being the ceremonial dagger and the ammo for my minigun. See if I can convince the guards to let me have the minigun without the ammo, seeing as it's technically a religious artifact and I don't really know how to fire it anyway. If they insist, don't make a fuss. Then proceed and see what opportunities might catch my eye!

EEEDD surrenders all his weapons, including the minigun, and gets a little ticket to  reclaim them with.  They let him and CharliED through and into the Bizarre. Immediately several people move towards them and attempt to sell them things. Compasses, emergency rations, reloaded handgun bullets, wide selections of knives, prostitutes, binoculars, Jellied gasoline in glass jars, warm food, cigarettes, jewelry, a haircut, dental work, and predictions of their future. The merchants swarm and shove their wares and propositions in EEEDD's face, competing for his attention with nervous fervor.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: April 13, 2021, 03:40:01 pm »

”Well ain’t that neat.

I guess we could get some use out of this, though frankly it seems like a flying deathtrap to me. Maybe best if we just trade it for some anomaly detectors and other supplies at that bazaar. What do ya’ll think? Especially you, EdPC, since you found and diverted it and all.”   

Check out the info pamphlet, or give to a team member if they want to investigate. Try to get some technical specs, eg. flight time when fully fueled. Also look around for some ferromagnetic ammo (preferably d8 or higher). How much can I carry with me?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:27:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: April 13, 2021, 03:52:58 pm »

SAM clutched her head, if she had a brain no doubt she'd be hurting right now. "I think one of the cogheads should see what it does first, for all we know it could be a time machine or the world's ugliest piece of modern art."

Play around with shapeshifting while cogheads decide what to do
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:12:30 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: April 13, 2021, 06:49:02 pm »

the Bizarre sounds like a great place for Bob to make mischief. Bob is totally unaware of the opportunity however, and remains contentedly Bobbing in the water trap in the unused golf course. Send spiderbob out to hunt golf balls. Is spiderbob waterproof? does spiderbob have some kind of storage compartment? if not, just collect the balls in the tall grass near the water trap like some kind of cross between a crab and a particlualry clunky squirrel. Oh sure, it might not be very alligatory to hoard items, but we can blame the disparity on the animal-machine interface and it's peculiarities. Or we could blame it on sheer contrariness. That works too.

Spoiler: Team Mascot (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 334