Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Excited about the recent update - "ex-wife", "unmarried with children", "druid"  (Read 2860 times)

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Latest update (January 16th):

- "ex-wife"
- "never married, several surviving children"
- "druid"

These are major and unexpected world updates for this "pre-big-wait" cycle, yes?  I find myself very excited for things of this nature - highly improved emergent storytelling.

Props to The Almighty Toad.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Not just several, but seven! Remaining! That's a lot of children.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Really everything about this upcoming release seems to be a tremendous boon to emergent narrative. Villains, complex relationships and networks, substantial improvements to religion and trade dynamics, more interesting legends as a result of much of the above.

Chances are that once I generate my first world for the next release, I'll be spending hours pouring over the legends alone.

This is why I still have faith in the future of DF, sometimes it seems like Toady can do anything once he sets his mind to making it happen. :)

BTW druids are already a thing, albeit just as the name of a religious position in elven civs, they don't really do anything druid-y (that'll probably change during the Big Wait).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:45:14 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, they are also the de facto leader of elven civs, but yeah, they have been there for a long time.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Oh right, forgot about that. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

I would expect it to be a disaster in fortress mode, with productivity levels (and breeding, if you do that) affected much by these shenanigans. If nothing else, then just moving of dozens of clothes from ex-wife's dwelling to the new one, would be a nightmare in sizeable fortress. But we'll see.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Honestly I barely play fortress mode anyway, but I can see how that would be concerning to the average DF player.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all really exciting ^^ Imagine having an elite assassin come to your fort for one of your citizens!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Really everything about this upcoming release seems to be a tremendous boon to emergent narrative. Villains, complex relationships and networks, substantial improvements to religion and trade dynamics, more interesting legends as a result of much of the above.

Chances are that once I generate my first world for the next release, I'll be spending hours pouring over the legends alone.

This is why I still have faith in the future of DF, sometimes it seems like Toady can do anything once he sets his mind to making it happen. :)

BTW druids are already a thing, albeit just as the name of a religious position in elven civs, they don't really do anything druid-y (that'll probably change during the Big Wait).

Toady always gets done what he says he will get done. So I have never not had faith in the future of DF. And I honestly don’t know why anyone wouldn’t have faith in the future of DF.

It's all really exciting ^^ Imagine having an elite assassin come to your fort for one of your citizens!

I hope I can play as that elite assassin in Adventure mode. That would be amazing . The framework is already there in the hearthperson agreements so I hope he has tome to get the player involved in that before release.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Players can already make legendary military skilled, candy armored soldiers that can one-dwarf an entire siege in a narrow hallway. 

What can elite kobolds assassins really have to offer?  ;D

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Players can already make legendary military skilled, candy armored soldiers that can one-dwarf an entire siege in a narrow hallway. 

What can elite kobolds assassins really have to offer?  ;D

An assassin is sneaky, to kill your candy dwarf they wait til the dwarf is sleeping, find an opening in the armor then stab them in the opening on their armor with their nice poison covered candy dagger. If there are no opening they pull the helmet off the dwarf who is sleeping...

(The AI already knows how to remove helmets from armored opponents to kill them so it’s there)
(Though you cant currently dip weapons in poison :( blow darts and stuff can have poison on them right now though)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:40:25 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes, indeed. While DF does give you the power to raise giant armies and create powerfull killing machines, it lacks a certain... elegance.

To answere what the assasins have to offer: enemy assasins may take out your killing machines or other important dwarves, while your assasins can use violence to further your goals without starting a war. Also, you have a lot of manipulative, cloak and dagger kind of power, which i think is going to be great for forts who are less gung ho. Of course, it would be even greater if you could somehow make a living by having elite assasins, but that probably has to wait for economy...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm dubbing this the soap opera update. You KNOW that's how this is going to play out. Hell, reading these devlogs we're already there.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile

unmarried with children? yessssss. now my demigod dwarf adventurer can spread his spores. (or is it just a npc thing?)
I am a Goober.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info

unmarried with children? yessssss. now my demigod dwarf adventurer can spread his spores. (or is it just a npc thing?)
Still no adventure mode romance... or friendship for that matter. Adventurers are pretty pathetic folk, really.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: [1] 2