Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Town of Salem Mafia [7/7]  (Read 18446 times)

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Town of Salem Mafia [7/7]
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 01:21:42 pm »

IcyTea, I only know they're lying if they contradict themselves, but I suspect any statement that sounds too unlikely and convenient.

TricMagic, what are you waiting for?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2019, 02:12:13 pm »

Indeed, even if the setup favours town in how we have a far stronger night game than usual, the day is when town wins. Right now, waiting is not an acceptable tactic.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:38 pm »

I guess I'll do green to indicate IC speak too. Early game is challenging to get things going, as you have literally nothing to go on and it's not easy to fabricate good content from the ether.

Generally it's better to ask open ended questions - who, what, where, when, how, why - to get people speaking because they can't just say yes or no in order to answer questions. This doesn't mean avoid questions that will generate a yes/no answer, but you should ask for more when you do ask a question like that, for example, why they think that. You want them to talk about themselves or other players in the game, for the most part. One thing to keep in mind when reading the game is always whether or not something appears to benefit town or scum more.

I'll give a general overview of power roles later, unless IcyTea wants to tackle that before I can be bothered :P

If y'all have questions about how to play, ask away.

piratejoe

Hector13 gunning right for Tric like that would make me think you were an executioner if we actually had one, which we don't. Mind explaining why other than you don't like him and his tactics? Because to me at least, it would make sense if you wanted an easy town kill without worrying about the consequences by saying "He'd do more harm than good" as an excuse.

As for how experienced I am at this, my experience in this game is basically one game on the fourms that died...and a few matches years ago of actual TOS.

This is a pretty interesting post, man. Lots to dig into. Also, lower-case h :P

Who said anything about gunning for Tric? It was my/the first post of the game, I wanted to make sure people were aware that they need to post to get anything out of it, whether that be enjoyment or learnin'. I also said the best way to get someone to talk was to vote them... so I did. Why do you think I'm voting him because I "don't like him and his tactics"?

You mention the Executioner role; does it make sense to you for an executioner to immediately vote for their target, during a time in which votes are going to be thrown around a lot?

Your suggestion I'm looking to get an easy kill suggests you don't think Tric's playstyle is good for town suggests that a) you think TricMagic's playstyle is not conducive to finding scum and b) TricMagic is Town. Your reasons for both, please.

Pavellius

IcyTea, I only know they're lying if they contradict themselves, but I suspect any statement that sounds too unlikely and convenient.

Neither of these rules the other one out. Just because something is convenient doesn't mean it's unlikely, and vice versa. Could you give an example of what you mean?

TricMagic

What do you think about piratejoe leaping to your defense so effusively?

heydude6

Who should we be worried about and why?

Leodanny

Why potatoes?

Quote from: Votebox
TricMagic (1) - hector13
hector13 (1) - piratejoe

Not Voting: Leodanny, Pavellius, heydude6, IcyTea31, TricMagic

Day ends at 11:59pm (FST) Thursday January 31st
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 03:27:22 pm »

Well, that question is easy enough. He's voting you cause you voted for me. So, not much. I'm kinda interested in why you voted for me other than it would get there anyway. Why would it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 03:31:06 pm »

To be perfectly honest I put my vote on you so you couldn't put your vote on me without looking scummy first.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »

Hector13: you asked a random question of everyone except me. Why so? Being the other IC doesn't make me trustworthy, does it?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 03:35:15 pm »

Who said anything about gunning for Tric? It was my/the first post of the game, I wanted to make sure people were aware that they need to post to get anything out of it, whether that be enjoyment or learnin'. I also said the best way to get someone to talk was to vote them... so I did. Why do you think I'm voting him because I "don't like him and his tactics"?
Yes, I know the best way to get someone to talk is to vote for them but instantly voting him on your very first post specifically combined with what you stated and with what I know (which is admittedly part of one match if I'm not misremembering you and mixing you up with someone else) about your relationship with Tric when it comes to this kind of game is what makes me think that you might try using that as a cover to kill a town as scum. Course, its early and I don't have much in the way of info so far, so I will take and point out what I can.

You mention the Executioner role; does it make sense to you for an executioner to immediately vote for their target, during a time in which votes are going to be thrown around a lot?
To an extent, though personally, I'd wait for when the time is right, though again, we don't have one as we have only 7 players, not 8, so it doesn't particularly matter to much.

Your suggestion I'm looking to get an easy kill suggests you don't think Tric's playstyle is good for town suggests that a) you think TricMagic's playstyle is not conducive to finding scum and b) TricMagic is Town. Your reasons for both, please.
Its less that I think Tric's playstyle is good, and more that I recall you complaining about it in the only other Mafia game on this forum I have been in, unless again, I'm confusing you with someone else. As for thinking Tric is town, that would rely on you being scum and trying to throw him under the bus. Of course, he's not clear to me, but depending on your responses to this I may or may not change that judgement.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »

Hector13: you asked a random question of everyone except me. Why so? Being the other IC doesn't make me trustworthy, does it?

Does it make you feel lonely? :P

I want the newer folk to post more at this point so they can get more involved. You're not one of these players, and I suspect I'd gain little from your response to a random question anyway.

Yes, I know the best way to get someone to talk is to vote for them but instantly voting him on your very first post specifically combined with what you stated and with what I know (which is admittedly part of one match if I'm not misremembering you and mixing you up with someone else) about your relationship with Tric when it comes to this kind of game is what makes me think that you might try using that as a cover to kill a town as scum. Course, its early and I don't have much in the way of info so far, so I will take and point out what I can.

I appreciate the initiative, and the thought behind it. You are correct that I'm not a fan of Tric's playstyle. What did you glean about me from my response?

Its less that I think Tric's playstyle is good, and more that I recall you complaining about it in the only other Mafia game on this forum I have been in, unless again, I'm confusing you with someone else. As for thinking Tric is town, that would rely on you being scum and trying to throw him under the bus. Of course, he's not clear to me, but depending on your responses to this I may or may not change that judgement.

What did you glean about Tric from my response?

TricMagic

You were asked a question you forgot to answer:

TricMagic, what are you waiting for?

It helps to bold a player's name so they see something you want them to see or respond to. Either click the B in the top row above the message window, or surround their name with the bold tags like this:

[b]<player's name here>[/b]

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 03:58:57 pm »

What piratejoe has done here against hector is called metagaming. It's the act of taking a player's old games to account when considering their arguments. It's a good idea to read through old games if you have the time, as you can see how a player behaves when they're scum or town and extrapolate that to their behaviour in the current game.

I want the newer folk to post more at this point so they can get more involved. You're not one of these players, and I suspect I'd gain little from your response to a random question anyway.
Why yes, it does make me feel left out. If you don't ask me a random question now, how can I rely on you to ask me the serious question later that I'll answer with such a cleverly spun lie that it vindicates me for the rest of the game?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 04:01:17 pm »

What if someone else contradicts them with an equally unlikely story? Who can you trust?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 04:04:34 pm »

I appreciate the initiative, and the thought behind it. You are correct that I'm not a fan of Tric's playstyle. What did you glean about me from my response?[/quote]It seems you want to get people to start posting and get to hunting scum but otherwise, I haven't gotten much yet, not enough to make any proper judgement in my opinion.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:35 pm »

Heydude6, do you have a strategy in mind for this game?

Try to make the best reads that I can and make persuasive arguments to get them lynched. Unfortunately in the past I've made bad reads and gotten several townies killed, so I'm hoping to not do that at least.

heydude6

Who should we be worried about and why?
It's going to have to be TricMagic. He tends to act scummy regardless of his actual alignment and causes chaos for the town when it happens. Unlike Toonyman, or Roo, he doesn't do it intentionally, he just needs more practice as a player. The town usually loses a lot of time when it happens though which takes away attention from actual scum. Scum would honestly be glad to keep him alive.

Leodanny:
Not posting is usually bad for the town and is sometimes a scumtell. If you had no idea who the scum was and had to lynch someone who was probably a townie, what kind of behaviour would you look for when making that decision?

Quote from: Votebox
TricMagic (1) - hector13
hector13 (1) - piratejoe

Not Voting: Leodanny, Pavellius, heydude6, IcyTea31, TricMagic

Day ends at 11:59pm (FST) Thursday January 31st
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 05:16:23 pm »

Why yes, it does make me feel left out. If you don't ask me a random question now, how can I rely on you to ask me the serious question later that I'll answer with such a cleverly spun lie that it vindicates me for the rest of the game?

Implying my skills at the game are not so good that by the time I'm asking you the serious question I won't have backed you into a corner from which you cannot escape :o

Counter question: You asked a random question to only half the other players. Are you the kind of player that would ask a random question to their scum partner or not?

I appreciate the initiative, and the thought behind it. You are correct that I'm not a fan of Tric's playstyle. What did you glean about me from my response?
It seems you want to get people to start posting and get to hunting scum but otherwise, I haven't gotten much yet, not enough to make any proper judgement in my opinion.

I think I fixed the formatting of that...

This game is unfortunately about drawing conclusions with incomplete information, very quickly, and then amending them as new information comes up. There's not much time for sitting on the fence waiting for that perfect evidence to drop into your lap.

For example, you leapt to TricMagic's defense very quickly and aggressively, making some significant assumptions regarding my motives which firmly set in my mind you were scum either protecting your scum partner or trying to buddy a townie.

Since then, you stepped off the gas a bit, explained your reasoning and have backpedaled your initial assertion that scum!me was setting the ground to push Town!Tric as an easy lynch. This could be Town!piratejoe figuring that I'm not doing that, or scum!piratejoe figuring that taking such a strong stand against me so early might not work in their favour, and the possible connection they have made with Tric (who could feasibly be town or scum in this case) is sufficient to drop it.

You are correct that I'm trying to get people to talk, but to what end? Am I doing it to look townie, or am I doing it because I am townie?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 05:30:00 pm »

Anyway, I just realized that we never agreed upon a time zone. Tomasque, can you finally settle the matter so all of us can see?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »

Counter question: You asked a random question to only half the other players. Are you the kind of player that would ask a random question to their scum partner or not?
I'm the kind of player who asks random questions of everyone, eventually. Piratejoe is the one player I haven't notably interacted with yet, but he's talking even without being prompted. Do you think I'm buddies with him?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16