Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Resistance, An XCOM:2 Arms Race  (Read 6885 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance, An XCOM:2 Arms Race
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 11:15:43 pm »

SCOPE's not an applicable design---we have no alien tech acquired and don't even know how difficult certain designs may be.

ADVENT has been working on dividing the city into manageable patrol zones through a network of checkpoints and surveillance posts. A new one is being constructed in the middle of the city, and is a visible sign of ADVENT increasing its hold on the city to the populace. Furthermore, it would cause some major issue for a local gun runner, who is willing to supply us in return for dealing with this new obstacle. Primary Objective: Destroy the unfinished checkpoint. Secondary Objective: and the 3 surveillance posts along the street.  Reward: 40 Supplies For primary, 20 Supplies for Secondary.

--- This one might be a little hard...better protection for our agents and better weaponry would both be a good idea. Ah crap, we also need explosives to do it properly.

An local gang has begun sprung up in a series of tenements, and begun extorting its residents by threatening to sell them out to ADVENT, besides just hurting them. If we want to actually help the people of this City, and keep ADVENT from doing anything, we need to stop this. We managed to track them down to an abandoned 2-story warehouse. Reward: Popularity Boost.

---Arson, anyone? Arson and explosives would make clean work of this. Otherwise, well, we have shotguns and willingness to get up close and personal. Oh, and maybe we should consider sniper rifles for overwatch to make this cleaner.

A local engineer recently hacked into the communication lines leading into an ADVENT maintenance depot, and while he did not get any of the technical details he wanted, what he did get was a Bulletin out for his immediate capture. He does not know ADVENT is after him just yet, but we are going to have to move fast if we are going get him out alive. Reward: Engineer VIP.

---We should consider coordinating with the other cell. We don't want to waste effort on overlapping objectives. It's a cooler victory if we bring down ADVENT, after all. Anyways, we should run fast and stealthy if we can. Utilizing a suppressor or making one if necessary would help here (really they'd help everywhere for us).

A coastal smuggling operation recently got busted by ADVENT, and in the ensuing confrontation, an entire ships hold of weapons and ammo got captured by ADVENT. They have it all stored in a warehouse complex, and security looks tight. However, we know from some of the members of that ship that managed to escape that there is a serious level of armaments inside, up to and including Rocket Propelled Grenades and Machine guns. Reward: Assortment of Weapons.

---Probably not worth it right now, though snipers and/or suppressors and stealthy ops might work well...

What sort of enemies, equipment, and vehicles might we face? Heavy weapons, traps? I'm not familiar with the game (or really any XCOM games)…

Quote from: Cooperation
How closely should we attempt to cooperate with the West Cell? Defeating ADVENT is a victory condition for both of us, and working together closely will help us immensely. Full coordination is sharing missions and coordinating who runs what mission(s), no coordination is exactly as it says on the tin. I guess if you want to go all-out war on them you can choose such an option as well....though I hope nobody is dumb enough to want to make it THAT much easier for ADVENT to take us both down.

Full coordination: (1) Madman
[insert in-between options as you like]
No coordination: (0)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:03:22 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 01:09:33 am »

Quote from: SCP-V073
Rudimentary Hydroponics(3): Jerick, 0rca_Tr0per, D7
S.C.O.P.E.(1): KitRougard

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 04:19:29 am »

I've contracted Space Madness.

Design: SCP-36MC (Societal-Cultural Preservation, Year 2036, MotorCycle) "Incitatus"

The Incitatus is a steel-framed chopper-style motorcycle designed for durability with comfortable cruising speeds up to 130 km/h. While this by no means makes it an outstanding vehicle, it's (lightly) armored sidecar does. While attached, the driver can engage the wheel drive on the sidecar in order to reduce it's impact on mobility. A small post sticks up from the sidecar in front of the passenger with a pivoting cradle to stabilize our small arms on (though we intend to replace it with heavy weaponry once we have access to it). The passenger is admittedly somewhat cramped as there is some storage for small supplies (magazines, grenades, etc.) within the sidecar as well as a trunk accessible from the rear. A collar of steel armor rings the sidecar seat to provide a few centimeters of extra cover, with the back taller than the rest to grant some extra protection in the inevitable event of pursuit.

Also of note, the sidecar can be quick-released in an emergency by the driver. A set of small explosives break the mounting as a very small "booster rocket" (little more than a firework, but a madman demands rockets) mounted on the inner side of the sidecar activates in order to ensure it turns and falls away from the motorcycle.

----------------

Named after Caligula's horse, since I was at first going for some sort of chariot reference, but then remembered the whole Roman thing and I mean, what Roman horse is more historically well known than Incitatus? So I figured it'd fit both the Roman Empire boner and the history-preserving nerd thing we have going on. The Incitatus should be good in general for our forces, and we can even load the sidecar with grenades and turn them into bombs that are extremely reliable and easy to use in order to attack the checkpoint and outposts!

In regards to the hydroponics, I feel like we can get food from the people if we gain popularity, and then there's also this:

Quote from: Jerick on Discord
2) Is it possible to get an income of basic resources such as supplies and food or do we have to rely on missions?

Quote from: Fox's Response
2. Rely on missions.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40:16 am »

Can we do infrastructure designs for certain, then?
I'd be very surprised if we couldn't. It'd mean no alien tech medbay, no psi-lab, no psionic network decoder, no base defenses. In short it'd lock us out of whole range of routes including some that in the game resistance factions went down.

In regards to the hydroponics, I feel like we can get food from the people if we gain popularity, and then there's also this:

Quote from: Jerick on Discord
2) Is it possible to get an income of basic resources such as supplies and food or do we have to rely on missions?

Quote from: Fox's Response
2. Rely on missions.
Yes that is a problem however it doesn't mean hydroponics will be useless just that the food it produces isn't going to be free. We'll likely have to spend supplies on it to produce food (though I will ask Fox directly about hydroponics to make sure it's a valid design) which is still worth while I think. The reason is that we share missions with the other cell. This includes any food missions that show up. If I were the GM I'd use this mechanic to force the cells to be less friendly to each other by providing insufficient food for both factions.

How closely should we attempt to cooperate with the West Cell? Defeating ADVENT is a victory condition for both of us, and working together closely will help us immensely. Full coordination is sharing missions and coordinating who runs what mission(s), no coordination is exactly as it says on the tin. I guess if you want to go all-out war on them you can choose such an option as well....though I hope nobody is dumb enough to want to make it THAT much easier for ADVENT to take us both down.

Full coordination: (2) Madman, Jerick
On the subject of cooperation; We need it. Plain and simple. Advent response increase if more than one mission is undertaken against them a turn. If both cells attack advent recklessly the city will quickly become too dangerous for either of us to operate in. For the time being we need to keep advent attention low which means one mission against them total. That is simply not possible if we aren't coordinating with the other cell.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 08:48:46 am »

Full coordination: (3) Madman, Jerick, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 09:49:22 am »

Full coordination: (3) Madman, Jerick, King Zultan
No coordination: (1) MoP

What is it with people wanting to be boring in arms races ugh. At that point you're just making Fox write two PvE Arms Races. I mean fine, go ahead. Collaborate with our enemies. Just don't be surprised when you find yourself bleeding out behind a dumpster!

Plus ADVENT is less likely to escalate things rapidly on their end if two rebel groups are blasting one another without their help.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 11:50:21 am »

For cooperation I'd say do it on a case by case basis. This turn, for example, I'd like to recommend that we join forces to hit the arms warehouse and split the loot; it'll be a difficult job but if we work together we should be able to pull it off, and secure a massive boost in firepower. Stabbing the other group in the back afterwards and taking all the weapons for ourselves would be an option, of course.

As for designs, let's see. Hydroponics will probably just give a discount on the price of purchasing food with supplies, nice to have but usefulness depends on how often we have to make use of that. Incitatus feels a little out of reach for now; I'm not sure we'll have the capability to design and build a motorcycle from scratch easily (it'll likely be Very Difficult) or the supplies to make much use out of it once it's built. S.C.O.P.E should be doable, though could benefit from waiting to recover ADVENT tech first.

Maybe we could design something for demolitions work, such as a homegrown explosive or molotovs? Though we may well steal some anyway from the warehouse if we do that mission.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 04:48:42 pm »

To answer questions regarding the hydroponics infrastructure design, this will be allowed. How it will work is for an amount of supplies invested in it per turn, it will produce a certain amount of food. It will be have to be constructed before food can be grown this way, which will take further supplies.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 04:51:43 pm »

*lifts up a primitive S.C.O.P.E. in the face of expensive hydroponics*
It doesn't even take alien tech, just alien software that's silently installed on EVERYTHING with a camera! We already deactivate it on our stuff, might as well steal it too!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2019, 05:19:57 pm »

...but we don't HAVE any captured enemy equipment, unless I misunderstand the game's setup.

Better idea:

Camouflaged Adhesive 1-Kilogram Explosive Packages
Plastic explosives have been a staple of militaries for decades. Combine plastic explosives with a decent adhesive and you get a bomb that can be stuck to things. Combine that with a brick or rock-like shape and coloration and suddenly you have a bomb that can stick to either other things or more bombs to make a larger bomb, which is still really hard to pick out as a bomb. True to the name they come in one-kilogram amounts, but if you need smaller amounts you can use a knife to cut up the block [detonators sold separately], then peel the backing off the adhesive when you're ready to stick it to a door handle or something.

Considering the relative difficulties (or otherwise) of the above action, let's start with something more basic:

Chemistry Lab, Accelerated Weapons and Explosives Development
The CLAWED lab is just what it says on the tin. It's a fancy laboratory buried in the subbasement levels, nearly soundproofed and blastproofed in case of accidents. It has setups that allow it to produce more things that go boom, from propellant for guns to high explosives to incendiary compounds. For now, it just helps us produce ammo for less Supply than we would otherwise need.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:40:29 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2019, 08:11:40 pm »

Apologies. I was intending to covey that the image recognition software (Data) was easily pried from some local camera, because ADVENT keeps eyes on everything. Steal a traffic camera and scrape the data off that. Jailbreak a smartphone. If it has a camera, it has the data we're looking for.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2019, 08:29:19 pm »

Quote from: SCP-V073
Rudimentary Hydroponics(3): Jerick, 0rca_Tr0per, D7
S.C.O.P.E.(1): KitRougard
CLAWED: (1) Madman

Shall we begin with the crappy acronyms?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2019, 10:49:18 am »

So which mission do people think we should be aiming for?

I'd like to get hold of the machine guns and rocket launchers in that warehouse but it sounds like it'll be too dangerous for our rookie squad. So then the best one might be to get that engineer.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2019, 11:37:07 am »

The other team's putting cooperation with us to a vote. That should inform us of what we want to do.

Personally I want to get the VIP and the gang, though we need to coordinate so we don't overlap with the other team. Together we might be able to take down the warehouse and/or the checkpoint, for greater rewards for both.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 11:39:49 am »

...I just realized that we don't have the basic promotion weapons.
LMG, Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Sniper...
We can't even promote our men properly unless we steal/invent those guns.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7