Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Am I the only person who seriously dislikes the latest Doctor Who?  (Read 3716 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only person who seriously dislikes the latest Doctor Who?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »

I think Clara had potential early on, but I also lost favor with her when she kept getting crazy plot points thrown on her.  Like, she became too special for her own good.  Even Wilfred didn't overstay his welcome, despite him & Donna being central to their respective arcs.

Mmmm....  No, doesn't help.  Hang on, it just clicked. This is like the "while" (until) vs "while" (during)  cross-purpose*, you meant "until/up-to-but-not-including" rather than "so far/to date".
Right.  Since in my OP I was not favorable of the current season, 'up to this point' implies the exclusion of that season.  Yeah, language is weird.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 04:21:19 pm »

See, I'm biased because Whittaker is getting away from the "mope mope morose morose, oh but hey let's be cheery for a bit to set up sadness afterwards" stuff, like 9 was pissed but busy enough that he rarely had time to sit and mope about the time war.

10 was gorgeous... I mean... uh, er... incredibly well dressed, and vacillated between "look how manic and cheerful I am, this is totally not covering up anything" and "wtf, did it just start raining exactly in time to cover up my tears?" pretty crazily, but Donna was a goddamn hoot (OI!) and they didn't overdo Rose during his run, and Martha.... fuck do I ship those two because they would be the most GAWGEOUS couple and Jack agrees!

11 was the missus' first doctor, she started when I noticed BBC running the new doctor commercials so we dove in there, so he's got a special place for both of us, and Amy is a doll but Rory is THE MAN, I mean, the minotaur hotel offered him an exit and I loved the twisted up fuckery of River's timeline getting explored more. I adore Jenny and Vastra and Strax but fuck me did Clara get old, I can barely remember what happened through the last I have no clue how many episodes of 11 due to her.

I did watch the day of the doctor thing and had been comforting/gently teasing the missus about her getting all choked up over 11 regenerating and then my doctor comes out and does that "Who nose" thintg and I'm a mess.

12 and Missy was wonderful, 12 and Bill was loads of fun, loved Bill, bummed she is gone, glad Clara is, bummed Missy is gone, really enjoyed 12's christmas special "are either of you a doctor?" '...you trying to be funny?'

13 is, new, she's gotten past the grumpy mopey sadness, and she's got that childlike delight which Baker did so often which I love. "Who would just touch a strange geometric pattern of lights in the forest?' 'I would.'

I like the friends, I like the way she plays off of them instead of parading around rattling off how clever she is, I'm looking forward to seeing what she gets up to in the future... er... past... oh, you get the idea!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 11:10:40 pm »

(@LW: Remember when 10 was new and still "trying on a new face" (arguably also 11, maybe less so 12, and you get the impression that 9 was still very much in that phase in Rose)? That's the vibe I'm getting from 13. Turned out well then. Otherwise, Different Doctor is Different, News At Eleven.)
I've forgotten most of doctor who sadly, besides the really memorable stuff like the bitch fight at canary wharf ;]

10 was gorgeous... I mean... uh, er... incredibly well dressed, and vacillated between "look how manic and cheerful I am, this is totally not covering up anything" and "wtf, did it just start raining exactly in time to cover up my tears?" pretty crazily, but Donna was a goddamn hoot (OI!) and they didn't overdo Rose during his run, and Martha.... fuck do I ship those two because they would be the most GAWGEOUS couple and Jack agrees!
WATCH IT SPACE MAN

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 05:32:18 pm »

I've forgotten most of doctor who sadly, besides the really memorable stuff like the bitch fight at canary wharf ;]
Oh gods, I am in tears from laughing.  Thank you for making me aware of this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:12 pm »

I'm tempted to find some time to watch the Doctors from 9 to now. Going down the rabbit hole of memory lane again I forget just how good 9 was

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 04:20:31 am »

YOU WOULD DESTROY FIVE MILLION CYBERMEN WITH FOUR DALEKS?
We Would Destroy Five Million CyberMen With One Dalek! This Is Not War, This Is Pest Control!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 04:30:33 am »

I still admit to preferring the 1st doctor, explicitly for being a douchebag curmudgeon old fart.

The old episodes have aged poorly, but the character? Priceless.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 06:55:00 am »

Having met the woman in person years ago and only later really getting a good look at the 1st doctor's companion I was kinda tripped out because I swear Susan Foreman was the missus' except stuck like 50 years the wrong way in time, suffice to say I'm a fan of big striking noses and sultry stares.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 07:19:25 am »

Turned into a rant, but TL;DR of it is: Give Jodie a chance, but Chibnall really shouldn't be running the show. Torchwood was crap, fite me. Opinions on other doctors to follow:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 12:52:02 pm »

I liked Torchwood, particularly the last two seasons. I consider Children of Earth and Miracle Day to be among the best content to come out of the Whoverse.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 08:54:17 am »

I still admit to preferring the 1st doctor, explicitly for being a douchebag curmudgeon old fart.

The old episodes have aged poorly, but the character? Priceless.

Yeah, as a character 1 is still far and away my favorite. The actual episodes are super pulpy and dated, but the Doctor was excellent.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2022, 10:14:54 am »

Necroing Regenerating this thread[1] just to post the current news that the next Doctor is announced.

I could suggest that one of the statements in there is possibly wrong (should we perhaps count Jo Martin amongst those already having played the part?!?), but that's journalism for you, even if it is the BBC itself. ;)

Anyway, given that (aside from the lead-up to the transition, and an "N Doctors" reprisals might draw her back) we've seen all of Jodie's works, my opinion: I still like her. Some wonky scripting[2], but no personal issues with the Doctor's personality or attitude (which is expected to be different in various ways, across regenerations, by convention) and is of course based upon a matter of sheer audacity (natural aura mixed with maybe a tad of the Tardis's own Perception Filter field, plus acoutriments such as jelly babies/psychic paper/etc to cover the gaps in protocol) which we definitely got in spades.

Anyway , those who thought Thirteen[3] was pandering to 'wokeness' are going to have the same opinion for Fourteen. ;)

[1] I felt sure there was a more general Whovian thread out there, but this was the best one I found when rewinding back a significant amount of time, and the Search function doesn't give more than a single page of entries, and fails to show anything when going to the [2], [3], [etc] pages of the results.

[2] The latest, the Chinese Pirate/Sea Devils episode, seemed to have been written as a far longer script, then viciously havked down to merely "extended stand-alone one-parter" rather than the two- or three-part story that would have kept in a lot of the excised exposition. It seems the 'Fam' were already looking for the treasure, and were only a bit confused that they weren't in the right place/time (except, of course, that the Tardis did its usual thing of making sure they were...). And when one of their number 'wandered off' whilst the others were elsewhere, it seemed like they instantly knew. I deduce that the original script had some additional exposition/discovery scenes in there to cover these, but they got shaved down too much.

[3] By 'main count'. We of course also have the War Doctor, the Fugitive Doctor, the Dream Doctor, various incarnations of the Valeyard and various Timeless Children precursors on top of the Doctor As A Child (who adopted that name, and in-canon may be a young non-preregnerated First) and other "random flashback incarnations" that have been used from time to time with or without regard for canon continuity... ;)

((edited for stupid typos/miskeys))
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:14:24 am by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2022, 05:20:11 am »

Imo the "pandering to wokeness" reaction is just a marketing issue, not an issue with Doctor Who or its aging fandom. Because for as long as I watched it at least, Doctor Who has always been way ahead of the progressive curve in terms of political ethos. The only thing that has changed is the marketing around it, e.g. in the past there was never much fanfare about Captain Jack Harkness being omnisexual but in this day and age of Corporate Virtue they have to insist on giving themselves laurels for doing the same thing that has always been done. It's like you haven't even released the show yet and you're already calling your fans -ist just in case fans don't like the season when it launches. Have some faith in your own efforts, and if the show is good, fans will love it. Doesn't make sense to take such a hostile stance against such a supportive fanbase ;D

*EDIT
Ok lmao I can't get enough of these Daleks
Also yeah it's a fair criticism to say Doctor Who is retreading old ground a lot, but I don't think that means it's completely dried the well like Simpsons or Family Guy. Doctor Who has all of time and space to play with. They just need to draw from different wells. Take more risks, cast swapping isn't a risk it's just a cosmetic DLC change
Stellar work as always Simon hahahaha
This is somehow darker than the original whilst being utterly hilarious
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 05:52:20 am by Loud Whispers »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 04:11:34 am »

I strongly suspect the Ninth Doctor's tenure was too short purely because he was all in the omnisexual too.
Note how after reboot season one, the Ninth Doctor disappeared and Captain Jack disappeared for a little bit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2022, 04:32:59 am »

I strongly suspect the Ninth Doctor's tenure was too short purely because he was all in the omnisexual too.
Note how after reboot season one, the Ninth Doctor disappeared and Captain Jack disappeared for a little bit.
From the horse's mouth, Ecclestone says it was because Davies worked staff to the bone and couldn't take criticism leading to serious bad blood as Davies turned BBC against him
It'd also be odd for the BBC to can queerness from the show whilst hiring the guy whose backlog is exactly that, so it seems more likely that Davies' pride and Ecclestone's frankness were just bad mixes. Bloody shame Ecclestone didn't get to stay on for another season or two, as his doc remains my fav
Pages: 1 [2] 3