Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [SG] Uprising - Week 4  (Read 2264 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
[SG] Uprising - Week 4
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:23:55 pm »

The Union of Saece is, to put it mildly, not a great place to live.

Since the coup about a decade ago, quality of life has gone down at unimaginable rates. The growing paranoia of the General is resulting in equally-growing executions and arrests on extremely flimsy causes. People are afraid of knocks at the door, for it could be the Secret Police come to take them away for accidentally disparaging the General off-hand a month ago.
It's strange to think that Saece used to be a great place to live. A place of amazing technology and progress. Now it feels like most of the population lives in shanty towns of crudely-made huts in order to escape the chaos of the old cities and towns.

You've had enough.
You live in the village of Graywharf. About 400 people live here, along with the small military presence to keep the people in line. Yesterday your aging mother was taken by the Secret Police, and it left you a broken person. You don't know about the risks. You don't know if you'll have any supporters. You don't know how you'll go about doing this, but you don't care. Your mother was the last thing you had, and they took her away from you.

It's time to start an uprising.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:57:31 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Uprising - Week 0
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:03 am »

And lo, down from the GM heavens, came the lord Waffles.

Great to see another SG of yours.

This is a dock town, yeah? Try to get a job working for the harbor loading and unloading cargo. We'll get some income and a few connections.

Solidarity Forever intensifies.

Avanti!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:32:08 am »

PTW.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:30:56 am »

This is a dock town, yeah? Try to get a job working for the harbor loading and unloading cargo. We'll get some income and a few connections.

+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 03:35:20 am »

Try to get a job at the secret police and use it to build up a resistance network hidden in plain sight.
Don't try to do all that in one week, of course. Start with getting the job.
Tell them that your mother being taken has opened your eyes to how important the work of the secret police is.
You are disgusted by the fact that you didn't see what a person she really was.
You don't want to be just a passive bystander anymore, watching helplessly how the General is being undermined by people like your mother.
You want to step up and help making the Union a better place! (that wouldn't even be a lie, ha!)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:45:54 am »

Try to get a job at the secret police and use it to build up a resistance network hidden in plain sight.
Don't try to do all that in one week, of course. Start with getting the job.
Tell them that your mother being taken has opened your eyes to how important the work of the secret police is.
You are disgusted by the fact that you didn't see what a person she really was.
You don't want to be just a passive bystander anymore, watching helplessly how the General is being undermined by people like your mother.
You want to step up and help making the Union a better place! (that wouldn't even be a lie, ha!)
It would be really optimistic to believe they would give us a job on the secret police so fast, but we could start at a low end government job.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:08:42 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Uprising - Week 1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 04:21:33 am »

- Try to get a job at the secret police
- This is a dock town, yeah? Try to get a job working for the harbor loading and unloading cargo. We'll get some income and a few connections.

Disliking the status quo will only do so much. You decide that if you want to make some real change, you're going to need some money first.

Your first thought is the secret police, as much as you hate that particular institution. But ultimately you feel conflicted as to whether do it or not. That and you genuinely doubt they'd allow you in. A poor person with no visible proficiencies who was associated with what the secret police have probably designated as an "insurgent".
But you keep the idea at the back of your mind. While someone in the secret police would still be subject to scrutiny, they could get away with a lot more. The question there would be how to get hired in the first place, though.

So instead, you take a visit to the harbor that the town does in fact have. It's best described as "tiny" and getting a substantial job there proves too hard. But you find a way. Some convenient off-hand mentioning of the "loss of my mother" (even more conveniently not mentioning how she was lost) and sniffling and whatnot and you find a position as a hand at the harbor.
It's not too great of a job. Literally everyone else is in charge of you and the most responsibility you're trusted with is "carry this box to point B" with strict instructions to never inspect the contents yourself. But you do it anyways. Your starting pay is extremely meager at $15 (under the table) per week, starting now.

By the end of the week you think you could maybe be considered friends with some of the other hands working at the harbor, and can consider reaching out to them.

You paid $10 this week for gruel to feed yourself. It's disgusting, but arguably filling.
Next week you'll receive $15 for your job at the harbor.
Overall, you made $5 profit this week.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 05:55:20 am »

Its probably better to know we are friends with these people before we start taking to them, give it another week.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:04:23 am »

Its probably better to know we are friends with these people before we start taking to them, give it another week.
+1

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:38 am »

+1
+1
In the meantime, purchase a warmer blanket or something to make us more comfortable at home.

Avanti!

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:43:29 am »

+1
+1
In the meantime, purchase a warmer blanket or something to make us more comfortable at home.
+1

Also take care not to work too hard or the other workers will most likely dislike you because you make them look bad.

What do the most basic things cost? (food other than gruel, clothes, hygiene, maybe tools, etc)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Uprising - Week 2
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 12:42:47 am »

- Its probably better to know we are friends with these people before we start taking to them, give it another week.
- - Also take care not to work too hard or the other workers will most likely dislike you because you make them look bad.
- What do the most basic things cost? (food other than gruel, clothes, hygiene, maybe tools, etc)
- In the meantime, purchase a warmer blanket or something to make us more comfortable at home.

You wonder if you overestimate your skills in hauling nondescript crates between two points, but regardless you make sure to keep your hauling in check as to preserve your relationship with others.
By the end of the week you could maybe be considered "light friends" with some of your coworkers. All of which are higher than you in position (because, again, you're lower than everyone else). You learn that they go for a drink at the local bar every week, and are invited there next week. You've gone to the bar once before. It's not great, like everything else in Graywharf. Suspicious unnamed "alcohol" filled with weary and tired patrons all in a neat dirty larger-than-normal shack.

You do some shopping in your free time this week. A cheap serviceable blanket costs $5 and you put it on your "bed" for use at nights. A bit of extra comfort should go a long way. Hopefully.
Clothes really vary based on what you're looking for. At the moment you have some basic clothing which is arguably presentable in most situations. Hygiene is, thankfully, notably expensive. You may not have the luxury of running water inside your hovel, but access to clean water is one of the few things most people in the country still have. So keeping oneself clean is just a matter of time.
Tools, however, do cost money.
Graywharf isn't a manufacturing town and while it does have a harbor, the logistics involved in importing things like tools aren't of amazing quality. A toolbox with a comprehensive set of tools (all of "probably won't break immediately" quality) would cost $50. No particularly specialized tools or power tools, but enough to cover pretty much any non-specialized scenario. You can go cheaper -- just a basic set of tools (like a hammer and screwdriver and a couple other necessities) would cost $15.

You paid $10 this week for gruel to feed yourself. It's disgusting, but arguably filling.
You received $15 for your job at the harbor.
Overall, you made $0 profit this week.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 05:16:42 am »

Go to the bar with them and socialize some more, and keep working for now.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 05:50:22 am »

Go to the bar with them and socialize some more, and keep working for now.
+1
Pages: [1] 2