Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controllable Wagon Embarking  (Read 502 times)

flimflamm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Controllable Wagon Embarking
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »

This idea is straightforward: After selecting an embark location, and loading the wagon up with goods, have the game start in pseudo-adventure mode, at the location of the embark site with a controllable/moveable wagon.

Players could move their wagon around (perhaps by controlling the expedition leader with the other founding Dwarves as companions), potentially traveling a great distance, until they find the exact perfect location for their embark site. Once they hit the final embark-here hotkey the game would load into Fortress mode as normal, using the new wagon position as the center of the embark.

This could be an option that is turned off by default, but I am guessing almost every experienced player would love using it in order to reduce the amount of effort involved in finding interesting or desirable starting locations (as we all know, you never know exactly what you will find terrain-wise until you embark there).

As world generation grows ever richer, adventure mode will become more and more relevant to players looking to get a more complete and immersive experience. Having the option to start the game in pseudo (or full blown) adventure mode with a wagon would be an excellent foot-in-the-door to entice players to begin using it.

I guess as an additional side suggestion, I guess I'm also requesting controllable wagons in adventure mode (And I guess also the ability to manipulate animals to power them)