Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Caveman's Arsenal [SG] (1820, Injection #5: The Tree of Desires)  (Read 13510 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CAVEMAN'S ARSENAL
You are: an Alien Smuggler of Superpowers

Well - everything's gone to shit, but it's going to be just fine. The Authority's on your tail and you've got a cargo hold full of serums that'll get you put behind bars for a good century anywhere in civilized space, sure. The 'safe and unmonitored' route to Xhorhas IV you were promised turned out to be neither of those things, and you got made before you got even half-way to your buyer. There's no way you'll be outrunning a fleet of Authority cruisers in your little nameless space tub, so there's no point in wasting your fuel trying to escape any further. Everybody who gets in this line of work knows the risks. Hauling around super-enhancement serums distilled from species and... things from around the galaxy can be very profitable, but it's also definitely very illegal.

That's alright. This isn't your first space rodeo. You're about to do what you in the business call a Caveman's Arsenal.

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book, and it only takes a few things. You need a little time, a primitive inhabited planet, and the best poker face in the galaxy. See, the native non-interference laws say you can't interact with any cute little pre-spaceflight sapients you come across. Now, you don't care much for the law, but the cops will, and that's what you're counting on. You're going to dump your entire cargo on the primitives and claim they just went and manifested these abilities on their own. They'll never believe it, but they can't prove it didn't happen either.

So you've found this out-of-the-way, fairly boring system with a single inhabited planet - named, in a typical display of originality, 'Earth' by the locals. Taking into account relativistic travel time, you've got a century here before the authorities arrive. You've got hundreds of serums in your cargo hold, and all of them have to be gone by then. So better get to work - but you're not just gonna drop all of them in one go. That'd leave too much in the way of evidence. Naw, you've gotta feed them into the population over time, one by one... and you might as well have some fun along the way. Of course, once you're all done and the heat's died down, you'll just return, round up the natives, and distill them back into neat little serums to sell on. It's the perfect crime.

The planet's not a terribly interesting one, but it's got potential. Several continents, water, plenty of life, supporting a considerable population of sapients. These 'humans' inhabit a scattering of nations, displaying a simply delightful degree of primitive tribalism and in-fighting. That'll be to your advantage, if you just want to provoke a war that destroys their little civilization and brings the population down to a more manageable number.

Of course, you could inject some of the other inhabitants, too. Non-sapients can't talk, barring restricted mind-scrubbing techniques, so there's no chance of it ever getting back to you. Might be entertaining, too – seeing how they do against a member of the local animal or plant life supersized and supercharged with a few choice serums. You've got a century to spend here. Might as well make a show out of it. There's a market for that kind of footage, too, whether the buyers want to call it 'scientific research material' or 'the best entertainment in the galaxy'.

A closer look at the planet tells you quite a bit about the technology level and societal frameworks you'll be dealing with. As a generalization, the world is...

A) A world of bronze and iron, ruled by tribes with delusions of grandeur. Their cultures show an interesting degree of complexity, though, and ideas of 'demigods' and 'monsters' form an excellent framework to tie your gifts into. The ancient world, in roughly 500 BC.

B) A world of steel and steam, where swollen empires subject less fortunate peoples to admirable oppression, and technology advances at a steady pace. Unswerving faith in science promises impossible advances daily – a promising framework to help explain your gifts. The early 19th century and the Industrial Revolution.

C) A world of electronics and atoms, teetering on the precipice of nuclear destruction between two superpowers. Human learning and technology is growing at a considerable pace – something that may not be entirely desirable, but should make for interesting uses and advances with your gifts. The Cold War and towards the modern day.

D) A world of data and technology, seeking its way, bleeding the planet dry as the population continues to swell. Advances in technology portent interstellar travel within a century – but offer an easy framework to explain away the source of your gifts. The present day.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:27:25 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caveman's Arsenal [SG]
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 06:23:50 am »

B

I saw you post the idea for this awhile back and was hoping you would run a game based on it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:39:05 am »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:51:08 am »

A

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 07:18:40 am »

C What could go wrong?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:18 am »

Interesting.

B

+1
+1. I’d like to suggest we focus on giving this stuff to alchemists and the people that come in contact with their work. Then maybe dump some in the drinking water near their homes, then a few vials poured into the ocean, and then maybe we can train them to make the stuff themselves ;D
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:54:42 am »

C
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:59:47 am »

D
Let's fuck shit up so hard it would go to space
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:15:33 am »

D
Let's fuck shit up so hard it would go to space
+1 chaos chaos

Hotfire90

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:43 am »

B

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:37:10 am »

Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:13 pm »

C
C What could go wrong?
As old Murphy was fond of saying :Everything. +1.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14