Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: D-option for Kitchen for meals.  (Read 1732 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D-option for Kitchen for meals.
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:04:55 am »

I know, for many years, many players time after time required cooking receipts for kitchen. All their suggestions made lots of sense, but were not crucial and we never saw a single improvement in this area. Then came the psycho system in with 0.44.11.

IT IS ***CRUCIAL*** NOW TO STOP DWARVES FROM FALLING INTO DEPRESSION.

So Toady, HELP! HELP! HELP! the depression is crushing this game. Just add D-option for kitchen please, so we can add all the ingredients for easy, fine and lavish meal manually. O-be-one Toady, you're the only help, to many severely depressed Dwarves mulling mortified, ashamed and shaken over cloths rotting on them! And then over some rain and some random human dead body. Yeah, those depressive thoughts do add.

Bonus, this functionality would accidentally fix the bug with cooking with alcohol, which pests the bug report forum for last decade.

PS. It would help if z-stocks menu for prepared meals had toggle option to check for how many of each type ingredients are in these meals too. Meal name tells only about 1 ingredient. Maybe if we could pick with d-option first ingredient, the one which is naming the meal, then it maybe could help fix this issue too.
PS2. Could be something done about Dwarves not eating in the designed dining room? Eating in legendary dinning room helps with depression too.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: D-option for Kitchen for meals.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:22:57 am »

As fun as it would be to decide on specific recepies, this still wouldn’t fix the issue being a lack of all the oddly specific ingredients dwarves crave (giant bat liver, plum wine and sunfish tripe isn’t something you have in all your forts). It is also possible to see all the ingredients, I thing it is [tab], [hover over the right item], [enter] [v]iew, or something like that.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:27:34 am »

That, and there's still the issue certain items just don't actually exist in game, they only exist in theory (This ranges from stuff like Blue Jay Tooth, which doesn't exist in reallife either, or stuff like Hamster kidneys, which the game mechanics make impossible to obtain).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 06:01:48 am »

Well there is something missing in automation of cooking right now. When setting up automated job, there is list for "item" with different parts of specific animals, but meat is missing in all of them. You can select prepared food though. All while food stockpile has generic "meat" as well as specific animal meats. So fixing automation of specific kitchen cooking should be no issue. I am already happy with 12 automated stills producing 12 different alcohols, so adding 30 or so automated kitchens in my fortress wouldn't be an issue, as it would result also in a smaller prepared food stockpile. I would need just to watch the basic ingredients stores.

Some foods are not to be obtained and some Dwarves may have just 1 preference for food, which is impossible to obtain. I am ok with that. Lets call this a natural selection. Imho every Dwarf should have likes for at least something Dwarven, but this is not realistic in real life either. Particularly women just love to _EXPERIMENT_ with food  :o  >:(  :'( <shock!, shame!, mortification!  :P :D ;D >

Missing ingredients listing both in z-stocks menu as in automation could still be avoided by sticking to biscuits, which take only 1 ingredient. However cooked alcohols need 2 ingredients, which 2nd can not be alcohol too. Also Dwarves can go for eating ingredients instead of master quality biscuits and eat them in jail, office or library instead of dinning room. Bugs bugs bugs...

I hope, when Toady will go doing his many year long magic expansion "Big Wait", he will keep patching those bugs. Like 1 patch every half year. I fear bad things can happen to this game, if he won't be at least patching it from time to time with some still missing feature, which didn't make in in time or with some bug squashes.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:05:51 am »

As fun as it would be to decide on specific recepies, this still wouldn’t fix the issue being a lack of all the oddly specific ingredients dwarves crave (giant bat liver, plum wine and sunfish tripe isn’t something you have in all your forts). It is also possible to see all the ingredients, I thing it is [tab], [hover over the right item], [enter] [v]iew, or something like that.

You're thinking about z, [TAB]'ing over to the kitchen and switching on and off different preferences which only excludes ingredients from stills or cooking rather than do anything particular with them.

Hmm, self-made D recipies i think could actuallly work, depending on contextually what food items are linked into the kitchen, choosing as many ingredients as the biscuit,stew or roast demands. Ability save this D preference as a kitchen workshop facet would also especiallly help so you can look at particular meals for reference.

Your Monarch's favourite meal, made a few times over and saved into the D screen so there's a small reserve and they run to eat this particular meal all the time. Still a problem that some taste palettes are unobtainable, but in theory everything you can do with local resources and mass imports should work fine.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »

Ability save this D preference as a kitchen workshop facet would also especiallly help so you can look at particular meals for reference.

This would be very useful, because depressed Dwarves do get emotional hit for not consuming their beloved meals. Currently you can save only macros and those saves do disappear, when moving old game save to new DF build. Those saves would be extreme useful in a given game with a given set of Dwarves with given tastes and likes. Particularly when dealing with this psycho system recently introduced. Dwarves ever become un-depressed?

In workshop profile, when setting new job with q, you need to specify with c conditions. I will be happy, if only the c button allows specifying 1,2 or 3 ingredients for meals. This is for the sake of automation.

Many people called upon receipts, so Toady would face a challenge to compose new save file for receipts alike the one used for legends, which is used for creating ornaments and crafts. Having those receipts being in such a file, could enable Dwarven scholars to write those into culinary books in library. This would add to the fancy level, which some DF players demand now for many years and probably will until the end of time.

However Toady knows about how announcements and report are sharing one common file, which leads to extensive txt files in mb if not gb sizes and he does nothing to split them apart, even if those are impacting this game's overall performance. So, I have rather extremely low expectations about seeing any txt file saving receipts in any near future.

A functioning kitchen automation is a logical first step of any receipts systems and should not require introduction of any new elements into game architecture.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 06:04:57 am »

Most of the preferred items can actually just be eaten raw.

Recipes are planned, but they got pushed back after they didn't make it into the tavern release.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:06:54 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 07:56:29 am »

Most of the preferred items can actually just be eaten raw.

However there are differences between 10 exotic elven fruits (which you can't grow yourself because of climate limitations) and 100 masterfully prepared exotic elven fruit roasts (with 90 quarry bushes or 90 dwarven wine):

- Quantitative, it provides more lunches.
- Qualitative, it should give additional positive thought for eating master quality food.

Recipes are planned, but they got pushed back after they didn't make it into the tavern release.

Oh noes! :( It is probably some library issue with book writing (no cooking scholars?), but Toady should fix D-automation first for kitchens.

We need automation in vanilla for so many things. Early-game works fine, but middle-game is lacking sadly features and has many bugs. I have no idea, if Toady keeps couple 20+ old fortresses around for testing his new features. It feels sometimes like Toady just tests new features only on new-started fortresses, as bug reports explode after each new feature introduction.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 10:24:55 am »

We need automation in vanilla for so many things. Early-game works fine, but middle-game is lacking sadly features and has many bugs. I have no idea, if Toady keeps couple 20+ old fortresses around for testing his new features. It feels sometimes like Toady just tests new features only on new-started fortresses, as bug reports explode after each new feature introduction.

This works pretty well though, as it means Toady has to put much less time into bug testing, instead having the player base do it for him with much more efficiency. While it might be somewhat painful to test these early versions post a big release, it means we get more DF in less time.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 10:59:29 am »

However, if Toady did keep few 20+ old fortresses for testing purposes, then he would run them for 3-5 years to test each new feature. That would mean lots and lots manual damage control to keep all operations in such old fortress to run smoothly for 3-5 years. Then in the result Toady would go out of line and find some time to fix the darn automation for the mid-game and late-game, when you have to manage 220 Dwarves and keep them happy. We all would be very happy for that too. As things are right now, except few dedicated testers, everyone freaks out and is waiting with downloading of DF through version 00, 01, 02 and 03. DF starts to be relatively stable by version 04. Additionally automation works only in some spots. I don't mind finding more space to put in 13 stills to auto produce 13 alcohols. So long I do not need to tangle with it, once it is set.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 11:37:47 am »

I am a little confused why exactly, if you want to have automation, the suggestion isn't just 'make the decent meals requirement less hard to fill/not give the huge stress hit' instead of the D-option thing. There's several bugs with preferences and even if all of them are fixed the current way the decent meal requirement works you will end up micromanaging unless you want the stress hit from no decent meals in a long time.

The problem isn't getting dwarves focused, it's avoiding them from going insane, so if decent meals just doesn't have a huge stress hit, you can just ignore it and your dwarves just won't be 150% efficient, but just 145% efficient.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 03:28:38 pm »

So, about those bonuses from D-option for kitchens.

Efficiency
I was not considering the efficiency, which Dwarves get from being focused. I see it useful, though most of my Dwarves mostly idle, unless I move forward with some project. I have also 3 carftsdwarves on 3 workshops, so I never felt need for efficiency. Cool to have it though for soldiers training in barracks.

Hands-off automation for 220 Dwarves
To maintain stocks of some goods (specially those elven ones, as cooking multiplies those) at decent quality and if resource ingredients run out, then you get spammed mercilessly to refill those. :D

Smaller stockpiles
Automation leads to smaller stockpile space, as goods constrained to barrels can not be quantum stockpiled.

Emotional boost
Food, drinking and legendary dining room give substantial boosts to emotional status of Dwarves actually. Eating right food can give even 2 different boosts.

So, there is plenty of reasons with current release of psycho system to patch up that missing D-option for kitchens.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:52 am »

Oh noes! :( It is probably some library issue with book writing (no cooking scholars?), but Toady should fix D-automation first for kitchens.
I would assume the reason had more to do with adding procedurally generated recipes to workshops.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 06:13:35 am »

I would assume the reason had more to do with adding procedurally generated recipes to workshops.

They aren't procedurally generated, they're attached to certain tokens like INORGANIC and WOOD (materially)

Proof being that if you create a reaction with BOULDER by itself, not being exclusive to anything it doesn't bring up the 'd' screen, but mixing it with INORGANIC does. I think you can 'd' define metal goods/weapons too with a general METAL token but id need to look into that for the reagent.
  • This may mean the current forge menu is obsolete when you can make equipment and furniture generally and 'd' select metals rather than navigate sub-lists
So really he'd need to make a category for foodstuffs and the ability to 'save' a combination (which in itself transferred to other things, being able to quickly re-make fungi-wood wheelbarrows from saved settings would be nice) in order to fufill the meal plans.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 06:31:32 pm »

They aren't procedurally generated, they're attached to certain tokens like INORGANIC and WOOD (materially) [...]
Not sure I follow you. I'm talking about the planned recipes that Toady hasn't even implemented yet.

Although, now that I think about it, proc gen instrument parts are already in workshops. They can't be invented during gameplay, but we could've had world gen recipes.