Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)  (Read 5895 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 06:34:11 pm »

Wait, are we setting up a new forge/artificer? What about old ones, don't they need iron as well? Because that (or rather the resultant hoes) should be our priority for material spending.

Also, aren't artificers' whole deal that they cost more than blacksmiths (but make more advanced crafts?) how can it also be 400 iron? or is the additional cost in gold?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2018, 06:53:07 pm »

1. It depends. At least part of what the artificers do is based around upgrading stuff; for example, given scythes or picks, we can take some more metal and make automatic harvesters and drills.
2. You keep referring to the turns as weeks. They’re months.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2018, 06:58:32 pm »

Wait, are we setting up a new forge/artificer? What about old ones, don't they need iron as well? Because that (or rather the resultant hoes) should be our priority for material spending.
I was considering it, before I knew it'd cost the entire iron stockpile.

1. It depends. At least part of what the artificers do is based around upgrading stuff; for example, given scythes or picks, we can take some more metal and make automatic harvesters and drills.
Good, apparently we're going to really need those drills as soon as we have enough food and arms to defend the four entrances.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2018, 07:08:29 pm »

2. You keep referring to the turns as weeks. They’re months.
It doesn't actually say that anywhere directly, perhaps underground years are just 12 weeks long. :P
But, out of respect for you, I will refer to them as months from now on.

So how much iron does it take to make a "unit" of hoes?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2018, 10:33:52 pm »

Iirc how's are 100 metal and 100 wood.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 01:36:03 am »

It doesn't actually say that anywhere directly, perhaps underground years are just 12 weeks long. :P
I hereby declare a Subterranean HourTM to be the average time it takes all the leaders celebrating their birthdays that month to finish eating a meal, a Subterranean DayTM to be however many Subterranean HoursTM it takes all other leaders to become hungry for and consume three meals, and a Subterranean Month to be a number of Subterranean DaysTM equal to the average age of the population sharing any racial ancestry with any of the leaders whose parents are celebrating a birthday this month, divided by two.

I expect productivity to skyrocket.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 11:01:44 am »

Iirc how's are 100 metal and 100 wood.
If we have 400 metal, pistols take ~half that, and hoes cost 100, where's our resource conflict?

I hereby declare a Subterranean HourTM to be ...
I strenuously object! I'd need a spreadsheet or a Grey Elf to calculate this out; this proposition would be the same as just giving the government to the Grey Elves outright!

We'd all end up living on some slightly unpleasant yet extremely efficient fungus, one which can't even make proper alcohol.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2018, 12:20:26 pm »

For some reason I cannot count. There is no metal conflict, and I wrote the turn totally forgetting that I thought that. I'm putting in the final details over the next few hours.

There are going to be some slight changes from the original bureaucracy design. Resources except food are going to stay with their producer, and you all can trade them at will or sell them to the central stockpile. It ended up being wholly unbalanced when it came to taxes, and then there would be no trade among lords. Soooo, marketplace is going to replace that mechanic. Which will be doubly helpful if you all find trading partners down the line.

Of course, if anyone has a different system of resource management and distribution, we can handle that as an IC proposal and vote on it.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2018, 01:31:24 pm »

I'd appreciate it if you had a base or recommended price for everything we make. It's better for cooperation than if we're trying to haggle the best prices out of each other, especially since we have monopolies. (We still could haggle anyway, of course.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:33:35 pm by Nirur Torir »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2018, 03:04:51 pm »

Yeah I'm trying to figure out the economics. I'll try and figure out some rough prices to include in the turn. I'm having to write this entire update on my phone, so it's slow going.

You're likely going to have to haggle a bit, especially with NPC traders.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2018, 05:17:39 pm »

I didn't get a roll for my steel research.

Nice with the food, we can almost normalize rations.

How much iron does it take to upgrade a mine with artificers?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2018, 05:57:09 pm »

See? I knew I was forgetting something. (7/5) congrats, you can now turn iron into steel using 4 iron and 1 wood, which makes 2 steel.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2018, 06:10:20 pm »

Any amount, or just 2 steel per turn?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2018, 06:16:53 pm »

There's probably an upper limit per forge, let's go with 600 steel worth a month without special equipment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:52:44 pm by Roboson »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2018, 06:32:29 pm »

6 steel or 600 steel?

a1s, we can't negotiate prices until we have a better idea about the economy. Like taxes.
And I don't accept that a farm's base output is worth 50g while a mine's is worth 110g.

And .. wait, are you trying to buy picks at 90g and selling the non-wood part of the materials at 110g?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6