Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)  (Read 5896 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 09:32:35 pm »

Ideas for mines:
 Iron - Please!
 Iron, x2 - Helps initially, but you can probably increase the output at a vein through research or other investment.
 Coal - Helps with steal, I assume. Useful if anyone wants to try going for steam power.
 Gold - $$$
 Copper - As a good conductor, it could probably help with artificing, maybe with other magic. Acceptable secondary source of metal.
 Crystalized Mana - A power source. As a free pick, they'd probably be low quality.
 A more esoteric magical mineral - Copper lightly infused with fire mana, or jade that evokes feelings of contentment?

Ideas for farm seeds:
 Food
 Cave Flax - Not an amazing food source, and I'm not sure we could survive taking it, especially if the hunters are used on defense, but having a source of linen would be useful for morale later.

I'm curious about what got picked for mages and artificers.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 09:49:17 pm »

Yeah, the farmers will do food - I figure we can find or trade for other stuff later, but right now food is key. You list a bunch of specific resources, and other setting stuff like Duergar and the world background in general has all been mentioned without explanation, does this game take place in an established setting?

A few questions:
1. I'm not clear how research works - does each player get 1d10 of research points, or does the whole council roll one die and vote on how to allocate it?
2. Your post with building costs lists a blacksmith as costing 4 metal, and the IC thread says we have 100 iron in the central stockpile. Are those numbers correct?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 10:15:00 pm »

Yeah, the farmers will do food - I figure we can find or trade for other stuff later, but right now food is key. You list a bunch of specific resources, and other setting stuff like Duergar and the world background in general has all been mentioned without explanation, does this game take place in an established setting?
I think it's new. I'm just making stuff up.

There's only a few ores that are particularly useful to us right now, and so this may be a rare chance to design our own magical type - albeit one limited to being balanced to be on-par with (or slightly weaker than) iron or gold. It's an ancient outpost from dwarves who dug too deep; there's bound to be some reason why they built an outpost here, in this spot that's not amazing for defense.

2. Your post with building costs lists a blacksmith as costing 4 metal, and the IC thread says we have 100 iron in the central stockpile. Are those numbers correct?
Our stocks are listed at 400.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »

Yeah the setting is new. Duergar are a moderately common fantasy race. They're grey dwarves who live even deeper than dwarves. They're an untrusting bunch, and don't particularly like outsiders, but they're greedy and may trade with others if it's worth their while.

As for the mines and metals, your starting ones are probably iron. Though each turn there's a chance of finding new stuff.

Yeah for research, you declaire what you want to research and at the end of the turn I give you a number which represents how hard it is to research that. Then I roll a 10 sided dice, the result of the dice is how far into the project you make it that turn.

As for lore and setting if anyone has ideas, feel free to send me a PM about it. I love lore crafting and will probably include it.

Sorry for the confusion, it takes 400 metal to set up a blacksmith.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:17:48 pm by Roboson »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:00 pm »

I'm curious about what got picked for mages and artificers.
Augmentation Familiarity (passive): Your mages are familiar with manipulating the structure of living things. Research related to this gets a bonus.
Rampant growth: Your mages are familiar with the needs and growth of crops. You may use your mage action to increase a farm's output by 100%.
Muscular hypertrophy: Your mages have discovered how to increase the strength of a unit for a period of time. You mage use your mage action to cause a unit to exhibit extraordinary for the turn.
Living Structures: Your mages are quite acquainted with how to shape the growth of trees. You may use your mage action to generate two living wood or forgo the wood component of a construction so long as it requires two wood or less.
Yolo swag, yolo swag~
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 12:27:43 am »

So I think I've learned a bit from this turn. I suspect that free form "hey what do you all think we should do about X" to be a bit harder to work with (at least until we get our bearings here) than "Here's the situation, we could do A, B, or C, and speak up if you have a better idea." What do you all think about that? Do you like more open ended docket items, or would prefer them to be more clearly defined sort of things that could just be voted and acted on?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:32:58 am by Roboson »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 02:19:54 am »

I like the idea of open ended items, but it does tend to result in waffling and uncertainty. Unsure what my final vote would be.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 09:28:51 am »

I think we could try another turn with this system, and just ask people be more proactive about putting forward and voting on explicit plans in the IC thread.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2018, 10:15:12 am »

I'd rather try the new system. We can still be open-ended if we figure out a better way.

Muscular hypertrophy: Your mages have discovered how to increase the strength of a unit for a period of time. You mage use your mage action to cause a unit to exhibit extraordinary for the turn.
This + axemen = superior duergar envoy, just need to wait for next turn.

Sorry for the confusion, it takes 400 metal to set up a blacksmith.
New plan: No second forge yet.

The Locksmiths Confederacy "organizes" 5 groups of malita.
Don't.
Do militia cost upkeep? If they cost as much as other units, that's risking bankruptcy.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2018, 10:51:46 am »

Do militia cost upkeep?
Do they want to eat? Because being in the militia is one of very few ways to stay of full rations.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2018, 12:59:54 pm »

I might have gotten a bit carried away, sorry. Feeling like my voice is completely ignored, and having my troops quietly pushed into doing something else, in favor of a plan I see as worse, with no discussion, bothered me.

On further thought, I do see merits in a militia envoy + militia guards to the west, while my troops guard elsewhere.

I still want 2 militia guards on the west, not just 1, and not assigned as a lookout. I'd also feel safer with a militia guard behind the hunter scouts, but they're probably fine. I don't think we need militia backup for the normal troops, and I expect half rations + 3-4 total militia is going to a big enough morale hit, even if militia don't cost extra upkeep past full rations.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2018, 08:56:24 pm »

I might have gotten a bit carried away, sorry. Feeling like my voice is completely ignored, and having my troops quietly pushed into doing something else, in favor of a plan I see as worse, with no discussion, bothered me.

On further thought, I do see merits in a militia envoy + militia guards to the west, while my troops guard elsewhere.

I still want 2 militia guards on the west, not just 1, and not assigned as a lookout. I'd also feel safer with a militia guard behind the hunter scouts, but they're probably fine. I don't think we need militia backup for the normal troops, and I expect half rations + 3-4 total militia is going to a big enough morale hit, even if militia don't cost extra upkeep past full rations.
Sorry about changing where your troops were going, it was a mistake - I thought it would be setting you facing the Duergar, the Guards facing the other explored tunnel, and my hunters hunting down a different path.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 09:02:25 pm »

No, you're fine, I meant the militia lookout plan, which assumes that the main troops aren't already deployed at an entryway.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 04:21:33 pm »

Artificers make better stuff, right?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 06:11:15 pm »

It’s more that they make magitech. Generally better, yes, but that’s not really the important part here; the distinction here is whether we’re helping the farmers or the military/hunters. The blacksmiths propose to make farming tool, while I’m proposing to make guns.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6