Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)  (Read 5897 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 04:49:06 pm »

Ok, the IC is up: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172894.0

One thing with mages. It has come to my attention that there are a variety of ways to use mages. So anyone who took mages or gains one in the future may choose to either set them up like a building or set them up as an army:

-Mages in a Mages Hall or other institution can be used to research spells, craft some magical items, and otherwise do civilian kinds of magic. Typically they are less specialized than Army mages.

-Mages in an Army are trained and prepared for battle. They can do a variety of combat magic and tend to take on a specific kind of magic. An army of pyromancers for example.

Either way, if you picked a starting mage, send me a PM or discord message about what kind of things you'd like your mages to know starting out.

Similarly if you picked blacksmith or other crafter, send me a message about what kind of things you want them to know off the bat.

Other than that, let the game begin.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »

What existing defenses and housing do we have?
Do we have any protected farmland or minerals?
Just what are we fighting?
I assume farms won't be immediately productive?
How much can that army of hunters provide under optimal circumstances?
How many people are in one army?
Can we immediately convert more people to hunters/farmers?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 06:18:49 pm »

All good questions.

1) Existing Defenses and Housing
- Very little at the moment. You are located in a large underground cavern very deep below the surface. This cavern once held a small First Dwarf outpost, but it's limited mainly to the central stockpile as far as buildings are concerned. And that was erected by the Griswine Dwarves. The wood which composed most of the buildings here has rotted away centuries ago, leaving only dust behind. The main dwarven settlement was located in a distant cavern, and was lost to the horrors of the deep before this outpost was abandoned and the dwarves fled these lands. There is more than enough space here to build a small metropolis. There are four tunnels, one in each cardinal direction, leading out of this cavern. A small waterfall and pool can be seen in the northwest corner of the cavern and serves as a clean water source.

2) Protected Farmland or Minerals
- Kind of. Each of the farmer and miner units can be turned into a Farm or Mine building. They aren't normally available units, you would just build the respective building, but it didn't make sense for you all to carry buildings with you. When you activate one of them, you gain a farm or mine of a local crop or material. For crops if there's something specific you want that doesn't have unusual properties, feel free to ask me for that crop. Most likely it will be cool by me and your farmers could have been carrying their seeds. As for them being protected, the cavern here is flat and smooth. There are currently no unique features except the waterfall and the tunnel. So, while they don't currently exist, using a miner unit procs an event like "Your miners have spotted copper ore in the walls of the cavern, and have set up a mine to extract the ore!".

3) Instant Food
Farms built this turn will produce food this turn. There's not a good IC reason for it really, just a balance thing. One farm produces 1000 food.

4) Hunters
Under optimal conditions hunters can provide 2000 food. Their haul is determined by a d20x100. Then any special random or ongoing events may add or subtract from that number.

5) Armies
Armies are composed of 50 soldiers. They and other units are included in your citizen count.

6) Making new units
Yes, but also no. It takes 100 food plus any required materials or tools to make a new army. So theoretically you could set up additional farms or train additional hunters, but it would cut into your food and they wouldn't be able to take action until next turn (because it takes a turn to train units/construct buildings). I'll add a list of available units and costs to the OP.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 06:51:38 pm »

These costs reflect the current cost of each unit. However as time goes on and your situation changes, these prices may change to reflect those situations.

Unit Costs
Peasant Militia: Free (Causes unrest)
Soldier Army: [Weapon] + 100 food
Archer Army: [Ranged Weapon] + 100 food
Hunter Army: [Ranged Weapon] + 100 food
Mage: Training in Magic +100 food
Priest: Religious Training +100 food
Specialty Unit: Variable

Building Costs
Mine: Picks +100 food or gold
Lumbermill: Axe + 100 food or gold
Tavern: 200 food or 200 gold or 100 of each
Blacksmith: 400 metal + 100 food or gold
Mage Institution: Training in Magic + 200 gold or food
Spy: 200 Gold
Alchemist: 200 gold
Specialty Craftsman: Variable

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:18:03 pm by Roboson »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 06:55:29 pm »

Stockpiles (2200) + output from our two farms is 4400, while we have 6500 mouths to feed.

We can actually do this, even without the hunters.
Half rations is 3250 food needed. Assuming a farm has 50 hands, we can feed soldiers and farmers at normal rations for 3350, giving us 1050 (+hunters) stored for next turn. Assuming no problems (lulz), we have an expected decrease of 250 per turn, with the stockpiles to handle the flux from hunters.

If my smiths can immediately start making farming tools, we can then train farmers next turn, and can start building more farms on turn 2 to start loosening up rations.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:35:26 pm by Nirur Torir »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 07:01:24 pm »

I would say that that's a good proposal to write up with some RP and stick in the IC to break the ice :D

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »

Someone who knows more about farming ICly should steal it.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 07:06:15 pm »

These costs reflect the current cost of each unit. However as time goes on and your situation changes, these prices may change to reflect those situations.
How do people relate to buildings and armies? If I have 1000 population, does that create a limit on the number of buildings and/or armies which can be used? Also, what is the cost of farms?

If my smiths can immediately start making farming tools, we can then train farmers next turn, and can start building more farms on turn 3 to start loosening up rations.
My impression is that we don't have to train farmers and miners in the future, we simply have to build the buildings, and that those units just represent our starting assets which can get turned into a farm before the first turn. So we're actually in even better shape to start up farming, but given that the hunters in particular are likely to be distracted from food production that's needed.

I'll write an IC on the food supply.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 07:18:00 pm »

How do people relate to buildings and armies? If I have 1000 population, does that create a limit on the number of buildings and/or armies which can be used? Also, what is the cost of farms?
50 people to an army.
I assume farms cost the same as mines/sawmills, but with hoes.

If my smiths can immediately start making farming tools, we can then train farmers next turn, and can start building more farms on turn 3 to start loosening up rations.
My impression is that we don't have to train farmers and miners in the future, we simply have to build the buildings, and that those units just represent our starting assets which can get turned into a farm before the first turn. So we're actually in even better shape to start up farming, but given that the hunters in particular are likely to be distracted from food production that's needed.
He just said that to me. Oops.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:34:31 pm by Nirur Torir »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »

Yup that's correct. Farms cost the same as mines, but with hoes.

Also one unit of picks isn't really one pick, but instead the amount of picks needed to set up a basic mine. It's just easier on my part to have it written as 1 unit rather than an arbitrary number of picks.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:50 pm »

Here's my starting smithing tech.
I can work steel, if we find any, but can't smelt it without a quick tech.
I can't make ranged weapons yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 04:36:31 am »

I'm assuming I can just set a random mine and need to find a deposit first?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 12:42:22 pm »

I'm assuming I can just set a random mine and need to find a deposit first?

Nope! When you activate your miner units to make your first mines, deposits appear where you put them. Because game. After that, deposits will be discovered during exploration of the tunnels, but your starter ones are freebies in your central cavern.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 04:38:50 pm »

My smiths can make stuff while turning into a forge, like farmers, right?
If I buy a second forge, can the new one make stuff immediately?
How many things can one forge make in one turn?

If I train a second military unit, and buy a second forge, does anyone object to me dipping into the communal funds to pay for maintenance next turn (or for a few turns) if needed?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »

Your starting smiths can make something this turn, but new smiths cannot. It takes a turn to construct a new building or train a new unit. The starting special units just let you skip that first step.

A forge can make one unit of things. So if they decide to make picks, they make one unit of picks. Which is how much it takes to make a unit of miners.

So from scratch, it would take three turns to make a new mine for example. One turn to mine the ore, one turn to make the picks, and one turn to build the new mine. On the fourth turn they'll pull in resources.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6