Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)  (Read 5893 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lost Barbican (6/6 Waitlist Open for Late Additions)
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:08:52 am »

The Lost Barbican

When the world of Aerowell ended, there was little the mages could do to stop it. The Dark Moon rose in the North, and the sky was dyed purple under it's might. Under it's ominous glow, much of the world, and it's inhabitants, we're corrupted. Mages and masters across the world threw their might against the oncoming light, but one by one, they fell. In the end, it was those who fled, who survived.

To the west, the great gates of the Lost Barbican we're forced open. An ancient stronghold, it was abandoned by the First Dwarves when they dug too deep. Luwald Griswine, last king of the western mountainholme, had to abandon his ancestral kingdom when the Moontouched attacked the fortress. Having no other option, the Lost Barbican was opened, and Aerowell's last survivors descended into the ancient bowels of the earth. Behind him, others followed, and the future was cast in darkness.

Welcome to the Lost Barbican, the last splotch of darkness in a world drenched in a horrid light. You find yourself to be the leader of one of the several factions who must share the last city in the world. As such a leader, you have a seat at the Counsel of Lords, the governing body of this city. Whether you were the ancient king of a now lost empire, or the lowly sargent who led your people to this dank underworld city, your vote holds as much weight as any other member. Now you and your fellow counsel members must guide the last bastion of mortality through these tremaltous times. Through famine, plague, and the unending Moontouched onslaught, it is your steady hand and iron will that shall keep these lands afloat, or fumble them to the unholy light of the Dark Moon.

Game composition:
This game is divided into turns, with there being twelve turns in one year. Each turn will begin with the results from last month. After which, you'll receive the war notes for the coming month, if there are any, so that you can allocate your armies accordingly. Lastly, comes the issues at hand. These are issues that require the Counsel to take a vote on and are decided by simple majority vote. Whether this is as simple as raising taxes, or as difficult as allowing new refugees to join your city, the counsel must vote on how to proceed. Additionally, Lords have the power to add to the docket requests and other issues for the counsel to address. Lastly when you take your turn, I ask you update your inventory somewhere in your post. It'll go a long way if everyone can manage their own, so I don't end up spending more time balancing books than writing for the game.

Resources
In this game all resources are pooled into a single stockpile. As a result, there are a few ways to gain resources for your faction to use. If one of the Lords wishes to expend resources, whether it be to equip their armies with weapons or build new buildings, a Lord may put a supply request before the counsel. Unlike normal motions, these pass unless a majority denies the request. The second way to gain resources is to simply buy them from the stock pile (using your funds collected by taxes, more on this later). Of course sneaky lords may skim some resources off of their buildings on the way to the stockpile, or even more dreadful, steal them from the stock pile, though these come with various associated risks.

Taxes
Nothing can be certain but death and taxes. Each month lords will collect taxes from their various establishments, and enterprises. These taxes go directly into the lords coffers, and can be spent at their leisure. Useful for buying resources from the stockpiles, or from other lords, as well as units, trade goods, and boons of all kinds.

Expenses
Of course running a city is not cheap and there are various expenses tied to lordship. The first is the King's tax. This is a small tax levied on to the lords that goes into the central stockpile for miscellaneous uses throughout the kingdom, as well as to be used by the lords through the central stockpile. The other main expenses are the operation costs for buildings, as well as pay for units.

Units and Combat
Your units are the main source of actions for your faction. The main types of units are combat orientated, while civilian actions are mostly done through buildings. There are three main types of damage: piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning. Each of them has advantages. Piercing does extra damage against larger creatures, and can occasionally pierce armor. Slashing damage has an advantage against unarmored and lightly armored units. Bludgeoning damage is best used against targets which do not bleed or are heavily armored.

Espionage
Of course brute force isn't the only way to achieve your goals. Subterfuge and espionage are often great options for ambitious lords. This culminates in the spy unit, a rather sneaky unit. Upon creation they (secretly) are given a specialization. This can be something like theft, assassination, or intelligence gathering. Though the spy is often used within the city itself, a clever Lord may find much use for them in the caverns.

Buildings
Buildings are the other half of your holdings as a Lord. These are related to more civilian pursuits and often serve some sort of function. There are four main types: resource generating, service oriented, and housing, and production oriented. Mines and farms are two good examples of resource generating buildings. Taverns, shops, and the like don't generate resources, but collect revenue from the citizenry. Housing is another main type of building. Your citizens require housing, and homeless citizens have greater unrest, which can lead to a variety of issues. Taxes from houses are lower than other types of buildings. Lastly there are production based buildings. These are buildings designed to make  objects out of raw resources. These are your blacksmiths, your alchemists, and various other craftsmen. These buildings produce finished goods, which unlike raw resources, don't go into the central stockpile. However, the goods they create can often be sold for a decent sum of coin or be used by your armies or citizens for great benefit.

There is one area where buildings and military overlap: defensive structures. Walls, bastions, and other defensive structures provide no taxes, but give significant advantages during the combat section of each turn.

Magic and Gods
Under the light of the dark moon the voices of the gods have grown faint and the power of magic has ebbed. However, deep under the earth you have found your strength returning as you discover the strange magics of this abyssal land. Magic and Gods are a bit more free form and can provide unique advantages. Much of the world's magic has been lost, abandoned in vast libraries on the surface. Though through research and study, you can create all manner of spells and enchantments.

Research

Much of the world's history and advancement was lost when the surface world was abandoned. Each turn players will receive 1d10 (an amount determined by a ten sided dice) research to spend on researching a topic of your choice. When research on a new topic begins, it will be given a difficulty. This determines how many research points it requires to complete. From this  points may be subtracted if you have related research completed.

Character Sheet
Leader name:
Leader description: (physical and personality)
Leader backstory: (How you became leader and how you got to this point
Faction name:
Faction race: (Feel free to create your own race here or have a mix of a few races)
Faction backstory: (History before the Dark Moon and how your faction got here)
Faction trait: (choose two, you may choose the same one twice).

Faction traits:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:34:17 pm by Roboson »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (Now Taking Sign-Ups)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:39:26 am »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:05:53 am »

I'll watch for the very least
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:20:58 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 12:18:08 pm »

There will be a sheet here, later. Traits will be Mystical and either Blacksmith or Alchemist. Maybe a combo custom trait, which I’ll preliminarily call Artificer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:36:38 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 06:15:48 pm »

Glass:

Looks good to me. I like the artificer and starting with one should be fairly balanced since it will be a little while before you start pulling in lots of resources. When it comes to creating things, is it more like magitech or what sort of thing is it? Because from what you wrote there, it sounds like it would be different from run of the mill enchanting.

Crazyabe:
It's a little light on the details, but it gets the job done. One thing is, your character has to physically sit at the table to discuss issues and cast votes. So baring extreme omounts of RP, it would be hard to pretend the rightful lord is still alive and just never shows up to his job or be seen by his people. So if have a way around that, just let me know, or just make a few edits to the entry.

Barring those minor details, both Glass and Crazy Abe are accepted.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:09:14 pm »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:21:07 pm by Nirur Torir »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (Now Taking Sign-Ups 3/8)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 09:44:27 pm »

Blacksteel looks good to me.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:40:50 pm »

Does this look good?

Dever Hezn of the Freeholders' Mutual Association

Spoiler: Leader (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Faction (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:18 am »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 07:29:08 am »

Spoiler: Leader (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Faction (click to show/hide)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (Waitlist open)
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 12:42:02 pm »

Those all look pretty solid to me. I think I'm going to close sign ups there and start writing the first turn after lunch. I'm going to see how the first few turns go and, assuming it goes as smoothly as I intend, open up two more spots for refugees who come later and are voted in.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 01:22:48 pm »

Question, and something that kind of went into my assumptions when making the Hands: having a mage unit is not equal to having a single actual mage, correct?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 01:27:53 pm »

Really it could go either way.

I was intending to treat them like heros, so singular units with comparable strength and upkeep to an army. However, if you would prefer to have an army of lesser mages, that would also be acceptable. Really in the end, they could do the same things and would have the same capacity, so it comes down to flavor at that point.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 03:12:20 pm »

I’ll take the army of lesser mages, then. After all, the Silver Hands are an entire school of mages.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6