Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mechanics Test: Hyde [5/6]  (Read 1809 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Mechanics Test: Hyde [5/6]
« on: December 20, 2018, 12:38:27 am »

So, this is less of a game, and more of test to see if certain game mechanic I thought up can carry a game all on its own. I’ve nicknamed the mechanic “Hyde” based on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It is a role play heavy mechanic, and agood amount of RPing would have to be done before the mechanic could fully be introduced. Basically, it functions to give the players abilities based on their character’s personality, by the creation of a superpowers split personality based on their personality traits, primarily the negative ones, but positive ones also effect it. More will be explained when the mechanic is fully implemented, so without further ado, let’s jump in.

Welcome to the Hyde initiative, an organization dedicated to the protection of humanity, primarily through the use of the Hyde serum in order to enhance our agents to deal with various threats. However, before you can receive the serum, we will need a bit of an idea of your personality, so we can predict what personality you will develop and prepare accordingly. As a result, we are sending you out on a few lower level assignments and observing your progress. Good luck agents.

Character sheet
Name:
Physical Description:
Backstory:
Habits:
Hobbies:
Fears:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:08:14 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics Test: Hyde [1/6]
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 12:55:08 am »

Name: Henry Kirksbal
Physical Description: Skinny, white, of vaguely German look, typically wears a greyish-green hoodie and boots. Left handed, and with fairly sloppy handwriting but decent cursive
Backstory: Average teen recommended to the Hyde initiative by external sources, selected mostly for his intellect and background. Other than that he comes from a long line of military service and medical practitioners, who started out in germany before moving to the US during world war 2.
Likes: Intelligent discussion, silence, books, the various fields of science, and mathematics
Dislikes: Loud noises, crowds, loud people. Stupid people, not being heard, and in general, most people push his buttons the wrong way and he tends to think of himself as being better than everyone else of equal age and/or position, at least in terms of intelligence.
Habits: Starts counting in binary on his fingers when he is anxious. Displaying a mild amount of narcissism and believing he is the best.
Hobbies: Cooking, playing video games, doing extra math.
Fears: Being truly alone,
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:06:35 am »

Will post sheet when it's not 4am...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:19 am »

Name: Jack Spades
Physical Description: Relatively tall, skinny, has black hair and green eyes. Fidgety. Has a scar on their forehead from when they were really young and hit their head on something (it is not a lightning bolt).
Backstory: Jack led a fairly comfortable life through high school, generally getting high grades, though he had some issues wit focusing when the topic didn’t interest him. While he was studying mechanical engineering in college, however, he started encountering... weird things. And not the same kind of weird as is normal for college, the kind of weird that drives people to start wondering if those conspiracy theorist guys on the internet actually have some substance behind them. Nothing really came of this until after graduation, when he was approached by Hyde Initiative agents to find out what he knew, and recruit him - forcefully if necessary. Jack isn’t terribly happy with his new position, but he’s not arguing. Not yet, at least.
Likes: Engineering, figuring out how things work, fantasy and science fiction books, video games, music
Dislikes: Extensive socialization (particularly parties), most sports, people that are rude to him
Habits: Has to be doing something with his hands at all times, hums (and sometimes sings) songs he likes
Hobbies: Visiting museums, making stuff in shop labs, coding, playing tabletop games
Fears: Being completely alone, being unable to even slightly understand something
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:47:30 am »

Character sheet
Name: John Alexander
Physical Description: A slightly muscular man with blond hair, usually wearing whatever clothing he finds most comfortable.
Backstory: Throughout the entirety of his life he stood out as a bombastic figure, never really caring about what others said and preferring to just do what he wanted. This naturally got him into a lot of fights and trouble, culminating in him murdering and burning two men in an argument over the nature of religion. After running away from the crime scene he was found by members of the Hyde Initiative who proposed to him the idea of joining said Hyde Initiative. Since he didn't have much else to do and din't enjoy hiding, he decided to join.
Likes: Good food, comfortable clothing, freedom, apples, fire.
Dislikes: Religion, orders, hiding, bananas.
Habits: Disobeying orders, taps foot when waiting.
Hobbies: Running, looking at the night sky.
Fears: Death, complete sensory deprivation, not waking up after going to sleep.

Operation Angry Disobedient Firestarter is ago. Removed due to not being suitable for the quest, may post different character sheet later after re-evaluating whether or not I want to play after learning more information about the game that wasn't originally included in the original post. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:23:15 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:46:08 pm »

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 01:27:53 pm »

Ok folks, I think you are a bit confused by how sinister the Hyde Initiative is. Their normal members not psychotic murderers, they are normal people. It’s basically just like any other military organization. They work in Black Ops becuase normal people aren’t supposed to know what it is they are dealing with, but they aren’t the Men in Black, Terrorists, the Mafia, or a Cult. Normal recruits are probably more like dgr’s guy than Crazyabe’s. They are actually working towards the betterment of humanity.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:36:15 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »

You didn't exactly give us much to work with except "This is an organization that protects humanity with a mildly intimidating name that injects serum into people." That, combined with the fact most people prefer to play more interesting characters and that most games where you work for mysterious organizations tend to exploit that fact,  the general insanity of Bay12 and the fact that using criminals and unwanted people to do the interesting missions, which Bay12ers like, where you don't want to lose more valuable personnel makes sense, is probably why there are multiple psychotic murderer characters.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 01:46:50 pm »

I recognize that I didn't give you enough info, that's why I clarified it. I actually kind of rushed the OP, since this isn't a proper game, and I think I may fix it a bit. Basically, dgr's guy is probably a good basis, someone a reason to have been recommended, and a personality issue that could link to a split personality. I was willing to let in one Psycho, but when I saw that two of my players had people that would fit a Suicide Squad themed game better, I figured I needed to explain something. You don't need to both change your character, but either both tone it down, or one of you should switch to something less psycho.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:50:04 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »

Really, if you consider the fact that the formula is described as giving powers based Primarily off negative traits, you'd expect criminals and psychopaths to be far more useful and disposable than your average joe. add on a Sketchy humanity saving organization that won't give you a chance at those powers until you've survived a few missions...(Something NORMAL people are generally going to avoid because they want to live...) and you are really asking for a strange cocktail if you want normal people.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 01:51:38 pm »

Yeah, that was going to be my next point. Criminals and psychopaths with enhanced powers thrown at what the more valuable members can't be thrown at. It really makes sense, so I don't see how you expected everyone to go for normal people.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 01:53:39 pm »

Also, one thing, you need to look at the other side of the coin. The first guy to use the serum was Dr. Jekyll, a generally nice guy, not a psycho. They don't want psychos. Psychos are uncontrollable and have so much wrong with their brain that the serum is actually likely to just kill them as it can't link on to any one trait. It needs one point to link to, not a whole mess of demons bundled into a person. Hyde enhanced criminals are mostly the people you will be fighting against. They are black ops, they don't want psychotic people running around reminding everyone "We Exist! We Are Right Here!" They want controllable agents who will learn to use the powers the serum gets them to help. Not to mention, I also said that positive traits effect it, you can get a completely different powerset as a decent person with authority issues than if you were a psychopath with authority issues.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:02:58 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 02:07:46 pm »

None of our characters are that hard to latch on to by your logic, your logic being that they don't have any one trait. In fact, it's pretty simple to find something to latch on to. For my character, it's fire and generally being a dick. For Alexander it's his general violent nature and lack of emotion. And if the organization is so worried about wild serum users, why not use them to your own advantage? If they kill other bad serum users, you win, and if your bad serum users die, you win. Either way they would be successful in their goal of eliminating psychos like that.

EDIT: It says that it's primarily negative traits effect it, with the positive traits part almost being written like a side note or something you thought about afterwards.

EDIT2: Also, going back to a point you made earlier, why do you care so much if this is a test rather than a proper game? If you just want to test the system, then say so.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:24:12 pm by TankKit »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 02:48:27 pm »

I can see three things that quickly shrink the possible pool of normal people
>Connections: if your relative, co-worker, or friend just vanished off the face of the earth you would look into it, and probably start loudly questioning things if you caught wind of the government being involved.
>Lethality: Most normal people, even police officers and soldiers, have a hard time rationalizing shooting another person, Hunters can rationalize shooting animals because they know they aren't sentient, this leads to additional psychological issues when any of these people DO kill someone.
>Willingness: because of human nature, people generally do NOT want to risk their lives for others, those who will most often fall into the Fire department or police, places where the risks are generally Known and understood before they join.

This reduces the pool to those who won't be missed if they suddenly vanish, are willing to kill, AND are willing to die for others... which is a much smaller pool of people then you would think.

Its much easier to just take someone off death row, mark them down as officially dead, point them in the direction of the threat, and use the fact that you already control whether they live or die to get them to work.

As well, since this is a mechanics test unless you plan for people to continue using the same character in the actual game it should be fine for people to use whatever easily discarded concept they can produce.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 03:10:00 pm »

You know what, if I ever make this into a real game, I'll make sure the OP is more clear. You can stick with the characters you have here. Also, if you like being a psycho, I'd suggest checking out the game in my sig text.

Pages: [1] 2 3