Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Priest career  (Read 1486 times)

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Priest career
« on: December 19, 2018, 04:41:55 pm »

A comfortable life in city, create daily meetings for the faithful, convert followers, solve faithfull's problems, gain respect and credibility from the faithful (counting or new skills), gather faithful's confessions, interpret the dreams, divination art (haruspicy, examination of animal entrails ) to frighten or reassure the faithful, āugure: omens and signs observed by lightning bolts or flight of birds or other animals behavior, manage a network of faithful who secretly spy on other faithful (report on all personalities),  manage the temple, subordinate who directs the construction of a new temple in a new location, careers within of hierarchies, trips to search for new believers in other cities or missionaries in wild tribes etc.
Villains priest? deceive faithful, manipulate psychology, do double life, organize events for the poor and steal offerings, hide wanted criminals in the temple, to bury murdered bodies in the sacred soil, abandon your career by stealing everything (running away, wanted by the authorities and by the clergy and by the faithful)  etc.

add something if you would like to play

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:02:29 pm by compsognathus »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Priest career
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 06:52:48 pm »

A lot of this stuff sounds like it needs myth and magic and well as starting scenarios to be in place. Other than that I have the feeling that 90% of what histfigs can do a player will be able to do as well in the end.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:27:45 pm »

A lot of this stuff sounds like it needs myth and magic and well as starting scenarios to be in place. Other than that I have the feeling that 90% of what histfigs can do a player will be able to do as well in the end.

yes and I hope you're right. I also add that it would be like managing the souls of faithful in the city, try to generate positive thoughts in the faithful, this is similar to managing the work, stress and defense of the dwarves in the fortress. Manage private traumatic events of the faithful
(text adventure in the confessional, or in their homes,) or of the city (catastrophic events to justify and alleviate the victims). Run for Last Rites in the night. (Is the night dangerous in the street? criminals where the guards are not there?)
While the villains priests would help the victim to go crazy with stress with speeches, secret gestures, and suggested "emotional" words pronounced in public religious meetings. Paid by obscure organizations that persecute the victim for their reasons (evil eye malocchio, revenge, rival amorous/businessman) Someone rich has paid occult organizations to do this because he does not want to kill anyone avoiding jail or because he can not kill or he does not want the stress of a death inside his head. The priest will help the organization do their job.  This would be an original career in a simulator like df. It would be more interesting than the umpteenth adventure "kills kills"!!think about it.

[EDIT] I add:

-In the past, to kill uncomfortable believers, they used beautiful women (goddesses) to lure the victim into the forest with the promise of sex through ceremonies. Faithful accomplices confirm the truth of the situation. The victim was taken to the forest to meet a naked woman but he would have been murder by cut the throat and hiding the body in the swamps or marshes in the forests. I think they were Celts,(Keltoi, "The hidden ones".) now I do not remember exactly. 

-The priest could secretly study magic. Magic to use for malicious or benign purposes (magic should be forbidden to priests. but ok,I do not know myths and magic... )

-Private research on alchemy: discover odorless powders that create miasma inside the homes of the "uncomfortable faithful"---> stress deadly diseases

-Timed goals: to make the faithful go crazy before a specific day, otherwise the victim will lose the stress through the event he had planned (for example, getting married or stealing another's wife, moving to another city, reach a goal in his work etc.)

-To incite up unsuspecting faithful against the victim with falsehood (only believers psilable otherwise everything is discovered).
if discovered, the priest loses credibility.

-Spying on faithful and writing the report to be sent to the secret criminal society. Spying mind, (observing behaviors) soul, (with confessions) and possessions.

-create fake miracles with relics of heroes and saints to attract conversions. (it requires alchemy or to know magic)
this is secretly commanded by the leaders of the clergy,or by personal initiative for profit. In the first case it will not be punished if discovered by the authorities of the city,but it could lose faithful.

-For his wickedness risks jail, expulsion from the temple, loss of salary. It depends on the laws of civilization, (I would put them in the arena with the lions)

-discover fake miracles of other neighboring religions and report to the authorities.
-discover fake miracles in his religion and denounce.
-enlist in the inquisition
-Organize weddings and funeral ceremonies.
-Open and manage orphanages
-I do not know obok but ok I edited
-convert criminals to an honest life (risk of dying by murder)
-recruit women as nuns / servants to manage hospitalizations for patients
-teach children
-create new religion (true or false) become a prophet     
--One could add the True and the False religion: The true one has a true God. The false one has an organization similar to the newly added villains.
Nobody in the game must know if a religion is false or true.
One could understand it only by prohibited investigation. why investigate religions could create enemies of all religions, villains and true believers

P.S.
Merry Christmas to all Christians and happy holidays to others (I love all religions, seriously)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:38:39 pm by compsognathus »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 05:51:10 am »

-save prostitutes (because they will be added)
I am pretty sure that anything related to unabstracted sex won't be added. Because Toady doesn't want Obok reenactments.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.