Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Shard of the Scorned - A game of monsters  (Read 3419 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Shard of the Scorned - A game of monsters
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:00:55 pm »

When the world was young, the Five stepped forth upon its face. They shaped it, transformed it, creating sea and sky and life itself. Everything they touched was perfection, and the world was a paradise. But from outside the world, jealous things watched. And one entered the world. None know its name, for it a creature beyond any understanding. When it is spoken of, it is called the Scorned. It terrified even the Five, and struck each of them mortal blows. Still, they fought, desperate to save their creation, even as this being’s mere presence corrupted them.

The battle lasted for eons, but it was over in a heartbeat. The Five forced the Scorned into the sky, and then threw it deep into the earth, shattering the land for miles in every direction. Seas dried up. Mountains shattered. Forests turned to ash. The stones of the land warped under the titanic force of the impact. But the Five thought this price worth paying. The Scorned was sealed away in the heart of the world, and their creation was saved.

But the Five looked upon the world, and found it wanting. The Scorned had wreaked havoc, upon the world and the Five. Where once they saw perfection, now there found ruin and desolation. The Five debated and argued among themselves, nearly turning against each other. They debated what should be done. Should they abandon the world? Start anew? Repair the damage? Eventually a compromise was reached They would create stewards to repair the world, and return to truly make it a paradise once more. The Five would set about creating other worlds and other paradises while they waited.

Thus the Men, Dwarves, Elves, Dragons, and Beastkin were created, the last and youngest of the creations of the Five. And they proved mightier than the others, for they were empowered beyond any other creature of the Five, granted souls full of vitality and spirits full of strength. And slowly that which was broken in the world began to be repaired.

But the Scorned still lurked within the core of the world, and it still desired to tear the creations of the Five asunder. It struggled against its bonds, and threw itself against the walls of its prison. While its efforts seemed futile, pieces of itself began to break off. These pieces, called Shards, floated up, finding cracks and gaps and weaknesses. The Shards began to make monsters, and these monsters fought the creatures of the Five, taking on many forms. And no matter how many died, the monsters kept coming. For the Shards did not become the monsters. They found places to hide, and took the souls and spirits of living things to make their servants.

The mightiest could even manifest and personally ruin the creations of the Five. Their names are whispered in stories and screamed in nightmares. Their sleep troubles kingdoms, their waking shatters empires. But even they started as nothing but a Shard with potential.

One such fragment of the Scorned drifts up, finding shelter in…

A.   A dried-up well in the middle of the desert
B.   A grove of dying trees in a forest
C.   A shattered castle atop a mountain
D.   Another desolate location

And it called itself…

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Shard of the Scorned - A game of monsters
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:01:25 pm »

Mechanics and Monsters

You currently have no monsters.

You gain souls and spirit by absorbing life. When you absorb new life, you gain an instinctive knowledge of its traits and abilities, and you can replicate these when you make monsters. If you make a perfect copy of a creature you have absorbed or have made before, it will automatically succeed. If you attempt to modify something, it might not go as well as you want, or it may go better. How complicated or expansive the change is will affect you odds of success.

Souls are the source of mental and magical powers. Spirits are the source of physical power. 1 soul and 1 spirit is the amount of soul and spirit an average adult human has.

Please say how much of each you want to invest in a creature and in new knowledge.

Spoiler: Knowledge (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:29:32 pm by Urist Mc Dwarf »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:07:15 pm »

C

Sarhaden
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:28:05 pm »

B
Xenian

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 02:42:38 pm »

The castle is an ancient thing, its walls crumbling inwards, its towers split open, their inside ravaged by the wind. Animals make their dens in rooms where soldiers and knights once lived and fought and died. And in the cellar, where the fiercest warriors made their last stand against the horrors that assailed them, a stone cracks in two.

Darkness bubbles outwards, darkness so deep it is like looking into the end of the world. Darkness which turns the air thick and choking, which makes the stones of the keep tremble, and turns the few pieces of furniture which have withstood the tests of time suddenly sprout with fungus and grow weak with decay.

Here, you think, you will begin your reign. And soon enough every creation of the Five will tremble at the name Sarhaden.

Several rats, braver than the rest, advance on you, and as soon as they touch your essence their little lives are snuffed out. You feel their souls and spirits enter you, and you react almost instinctively, thinning yourself so that you spread across the floor until you can spread no more, catching the vast majority of the rats within you. Their souls and spirits join those you have already collected. (+0.5 soul, +0.5 spirit, Knowledge of Rat traits gained)  Now you must begin your task. You lack the power or ability to uproot yourself, and so you must make monsters or mutate other living things into serving you.  You lack the power to create anything truly dangerous and the knowledge to shape something interesting, but you could certainly try to experiment with what knowledge you have.

Spoiler: Sarahden (click to show/hide)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »

Make a Toothling out of .5 soul and .5 spirit

A Toothling is a rat who's mouth extends halfway down the torso, allowing it to split in half. Teeth line the entire mouth. When the mouth is closed, it appears  like a normal rat. Because of the large mouth size, it can fit larger things in it's mouth than a normal rat could carry.

Have the Toothling gather us insects and small creatures so that we can build up our strength.
+1
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:59:18 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 03:28:45 pm »

Make a Toothling out of .5 soul and .5 spirit

A Toothling is a rat who's mouth extends halfway down the torso, allowing it to split in half. Teeth line the entire mouth. When the mouth is closed, it appears  like a normal rat. Because of the large mouth size, it can fit larger things in it's mouth than a normal rat could carry.

Have the Toothling gather us insects and small creatures so that we can build up our strength.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:46:23 pm by Roboson »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 03:39:03 pm »

One thing, when creating a new monster, give me an idea of how much you want to invest in it and how much you want to invest it whatever parts of it are new.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 03:46:54 pm »

One thing, when creating a new monster, give me an idea of how much you want to invest in it and how much you want to invest it whatever parts of it are new.

Edited. Is that what you were looking for? I'm not exactly sure what you meant.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 05:37:51 pm »

PTW

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 11:06:31 pm »