Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: After the End (Waitlist Open)  (Read 2134 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: After the End (Waitlist Open)
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 12:29:23 am »

Ok, let’s take a close look at all the details on those “soul pods”, as well as any notes about side effects, who made them, and what the goal was.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:46 am »

Glass

You begin to piece together information about the soul pods, but it appears that sort of information isn't really stored on the computer. You find a mostly corrupted research log that GPeter was glancing at earlier. (16) It's almost entirely corrupted, but you see references to Dr. Zero and Zero Industries pop up occasionally in the few lucid bits between the garbled corrupt text. As far as you can put together, Zero Industries made the pods using some rather enterprising advances in technology. You find two entries of especial note. One from seven months ago and one entry from three weeks ago.

Seven Months Ago
#*(#... Subject 4.12 demonstrates excessive mutation. Subject 7.49 reacted inversely to the Beta29 gene. Subjects 89.2 and 89.14 both under mutated. Subjects 102.4a though 127.6 all mutated properly. Random variation in results is within the margin of error, mitigated by increased analysis of greater amounts of source genetic material. Further testing required before human trials begin on the *($# #)@#_$(&&&.

Three Weeks Ago
Apocalyptic event imminent. Offsite bunkers A-D, G,Q,Z, and 4 authorized. Soul pod construction authorized. Teleporter construction authorized. Anti-rift anomaly measures authorized. Lethal force authorized.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 04:31:14 am »

Take the crowbar that Tankkit had then look at the undamaged SUV and see if I can ether start it or hotwire it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 09:43:20 am »

...huh.

Which bunker is this one, assuming that it is one of the offsite bunkers and not the site itself (which is unlikely)? Is there a map showing the location of the other bunkers? What’s this about teleporters, and does the computer have additional information on them, their use, and their location?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »

King Zultan
You grab the crowbar and head over to the undamaged SUV. (2) It's locked and you don't see the keys around, but you look down at your cowbar, and then at the SUV, then back at the crowbar and back at the SUV. (16) You wedge that bad boy in to the back passenger side door and with a good deal of elbow grease, manage to pry the door open without causing too much damage. (14) Crawling into the front seat isn't the most majestic thing you've ever done, but you get there and get to work. Once inside, you open up the internal workings of the car, and you experience a strange phenomenon. As you're looking at the tangled labyrinth of wires, they seem to start moving as if they were alive. You feel as though you and this machine are one being for a second and you immediately know which wires need to go where. As the car roars to life, you notice a few droplets of blood coming from your left nostril.

Glass
You look for further information on the teleporter and find schematics for something labeled "FT-Bunk-B". The schematics for it are all there, and it looks like it was supposed to be constructed on the fourth level of the bunker here, but they never got that far. Just trying to figure out how it works makes your head spin and blood begin to trickle out of your nose. You instead look at the mechanics of it, rather than the theoretical principles behind it, and that goes a lot better. It seems it uses similar technology as the soul pods and were meant to link the bunkers together. There's not a map of the location of the bunkers, but you manage to find a small note about how your bunker was centrally located in Missouri so that it could access several teleporter links.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 04:04:20 pm »

Bleeding noses and sudden understanding of technology? I sense mutation.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 05:15:40 pm »

Let’s get some rags or paper towels or something to clean up all these nosebleeds with, and then see what I can do about getting a teleporter hub set up.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2018, 06:55:51 am »

Check and see how much gas is in the SUV, and see if anyone wants to go with me to the gas station I saw earlier, let in anyone that wants to go then go to the gas station and search it for useful supplies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:30 pm »

Glass
You wipe away the trickle of blood and quickly forget it. Probably the pressure change down here or something. Looking at the schematics for the teleporter, you can say for sure that you don't have enough materials on hand. It's a big machine, and an intricate one as well. Looking at the schematics, its really intuitive how it's put together and you wonder why no one had ever put together the pieces before. Seems like teleportation wasn't too far off for humanity. Oh darn, your nose is bleeding again. Powering through, you're certain you could build the teleporter if you had all the materials for it. You glance over at the soul pods and think for a minute. There's probably enough of the key components in those to jerry rig a teleporter. But you think better of it after a minute, it's a dangerous world out there and those pods are your 'get out of jail death free' card. It's at that point that King Zultan comes out of the elevator and asks if you want to accompany him down the road to pillage supplies from a nearby gas station.

King Zultan
Looking at the gas gauge, you got about a quarter of a tank. Sitting inside, you notice it's a really solid SUV. Leather seats, real wood accents, digital display on the radio and surround sound speakers. When these things aren't smashed to bits by bloodthirsty monsters or whatever, they're pretty nice. You step out of the vehicle and check with everyone to see who wants to gather supplies. Shouldn't be more than a 10-15 minute drive down the road.

GPeter
Still sneaking about, looking out for literal monsters, King Zultan approaches you and asks if you want to go with him over to the gas station for snacks and supplies. At this point it's been a few hours since you woke up, and judging from how empty your stomach is, you're pretty sure the Soul Pods don't come with in-flight snacks.

Tankkit
Moments after your phone call ends, King Zultan comes out of the elevator. Sounds like he's got one of the cars started and is headed over to the nearby gas station to gather useful supplies. Want to go with him?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »

So, I got us all some information. Also a sort-of mandatory mission where we'll probably die due to large amounts of water in somewhat inconvenient places if we don't do it. No, the mission itself is not the cause of said water.

TankKit sighs as he pockets the phone. At least they all had some direction other than randomly wandering around now."When you're finished with whatever you're doing, meet in the computer room. No going exploring until the meeting's done, it's important for all of us."

With that said, TankKit begins gathering as much information from the computer as possible, with an immediate focus on how the soul pods work and how to deconstruct them as well as all weapon blueprints and how to detach the tablet from the computer. Do not use any of this information yet and don't let anyone else try to start taking apart the soul pods.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:58:32 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2018, 02:08:37 pm »

Go to the computer room I guess? And I may as well look for any other mostly-uncprrupted files that might tell me about stuff nearby while I wait.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 04:20:36 am »

See if I can get anything on the SUV's radio, then turn it off and go to the computer room for the meeting.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2018, 07:58:08 am »

On a side note, sorry I had one hell of a weekend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Proceed to the gas station, there should be food in there. I wonder if I can get some Twinkies...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 08:19:06 am »

Of course there's that one guy. That ONE GUY. :P

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2018, 02:48:07 pm »

Computer Room Meeting
(19) King Zultan manages to locate a classic rock as well as a hipster synthwave radio station on the SUV radio. Then he hears something quite different, "Hello is anyone out there? This is Jim Higs, last weatherman on earth. If anyone can hear this, please respond. Silence for about thirty seconds. "Well, in case anyone is out there, lets go to the weather. It's still a rather nice day, all things considered. Expect spotty cloud coverage as we move into the late afternoon. Minor showers and zombie attacks throughout the night. This has been Jim Higs, fulfilling the weatherman's duty as long as I can. The radio station goes back to static and you head into the meeting. Oddly enough, you think you hear the car drive away as you go down the elevator.

The three of you gather around the computer and try to collect as much info as you can. (10, 14, 17, 20, 8, 2) Glass shows everyone the schematics for the soul pods, but none of you look at them for too long once you start getting nose bleeds. You get enough of the information to be able to take them apart and put them back together, but they're still pretty big even when deconstructed. You could fit one, maybe two, in the back of the SUV if you deconstructed them, put them in a crate and put them in the back. If you put the back seats down, you could fit the four of them in, but then you'd only be able to fit two people in the car.

Next you move on to weapon files. You find that basically the entire weapon schematic database is corrupted, but with a bit of searching and a few logical leaps to fill in the gaps, you come up with a few schematics. The first is a Makeshift Field Rifle, or MsFr-1. Salvaging different pieces of information from legitimate gun schematics, you manage to paste them together into something that looks like it won't blow up in your hands. Using about 20 mechanical components, 5 electrical component, and one computing component, you can jerry rig together a working rifle. It's got reasonable accuracy, and power for a few hundred feet, but you're not going to be sniping anything with this. The second weapon is a taser baton. Using an empty pipe and a dozen electrical components, as well a a bit of wood and mechanical bits, you can put together what amounts to a pretty damaging shock. It requires recharging every few hits though. Lastly, you come to the conclusion that you could probably make some sort of laser rifle. You're quite a bit less sure about this one, but with enough experimentation, you have enough of a starting point to work something out here.

After going through whats left of the schematics by hand, you finally remove the tablet element of the computer. It looks a lot like an I-Pad, but about twice as thick and three times as bulletproof. It seems to have pretty much unlimited data storage capacity, and has already been uploaded with all the programs and files from the computer.

GPeter
You continue sneaking, it's been hours at this point, but man does it pay off. King Zultan heads inside and you're left alone with perhaps the only working car in the whole universe. You jump in that bad boy and rev the engine, pulling onto the road and heading towards the gas station. Its only a few minutes drive, and you watch basically every angle you can as you drive down the road. This thing isn't exceptionally quiet. (14) You pull up to the gas station without anything attacking you on the road. (13) And nothing bursts out of the gas station at you either. Maybe you got lucky, or maybe this apocalypse isn't all that bad. You grab your trusty crowbar and head to the door. The gas station is a pretty small one, probably locally owned, not one of those big name brand chain gas stations. A real mom-and-pop kinda joint. You go up to the door, and it's locked. You look at the door, then you look at the crowbar, then you look at the door, then you look at the crowbar, and then you pop that door open with one swift motion. Looking inside it seems as though this place has been quickly picked over. Lots of foodstuffs and cigarette packs on the ground, some of the canned foods are gone. Looks like someone grabbed what they could and locked the door behind them. Scratch that, as you look around the place, you see a dead body in isle two. Looks to be an older guy, he has leathery skin and steel toed boots, flannel shirt, and blue jeans. Classic Americana right there. What kinda ruins the whole classic Americana look he has going on, is the plant growing out of his gaping mouth and roots sticking out of his ears. The room is pretty dim, no way a normal plant could grow in here or inside of someone's skull for that matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4