Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: After the End (Waitlist Open)  (Read 2131 times)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Re: After the End (Waitlist Open)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »

Mess with the computer and try to get a map of the area, also look for something that can be used as a weapon. A crowbar maybe? There's gotta be anything around here, even a metal pipe will do...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 02:43:36 am »

Go up to the surface and look at the SUV's and find the least damaged one and see if I can get it started if its safe, then look for some kind of weapon anything will do even a piece of wood from one of the crates.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 02:50:40 pm »

Tankkit and King Zultan

You two go up to the surface and inspect the SUVs in the parking lot. They're all a shiny black, and the exact same make and model. It reminds you of the fleets of cars that important people in movalways seem to have around them. [2][6][3][2][6] You two set about searching the 5 SUVs. Most of them are incredibly damaged, one is actually ripped open and looks like something tried to tear it in half. It did a pretty good job. Another looks like it was flipped over and then smashed down from above. From what you can tell, they're nothing more than gasoline soaked scrap at this point. The third car seems completely undamaged! It was parked off to the side on the edge of the parking lot, and whatever happened to the other cars, doesn't appear to make it over this far. When you try and open it, it's locked though. The fourth car has a concave hood and lots of fluid leaking out, though the interior is accessible through the smashed front window. There's a pair of nice mirrored aviators, a bag of pork rinds (half eaten of course), a scraper to get frost off the windshield, and bloodstains in both the driver and passenger seat. The fifth car is smashed to pieces, it looks like it was flipped over a few times judging by the debris scattered around. However, that's not what grabs your attention. Pinned underneath the car is, from what you can tell, a corpse of a middle aged man in a nondescript black suit. You can see his head and arm through the overturned window, which is now pressed against the ground.

As far as weapons go, there is a lot of twisted metal which could serve as a makeshift club. a good deal of it is sharp though and would need a handle or some cloth wrappings to keep your hands from getting cut as you hold it. Among the crates there's a lot of splintered wood which has a similar dilemma, but you manage to find two crowbars among the electronic components and wood chunks.

GPeter
[14] You pull up the computer and search for a map of the area. Its not looking particularly good on that front. It appears to be a very specialized piece of equipment related to the, as you find in the notes on the computer, Soul Reconstruction Pods. There's a fair deal of semi-corrupted notes relating to the pods and the End, but it doesn't even have internet accessibility. If the internet still exists. You find notes on how they can be used in a variety of ways including analyzing living and deceased organisms, first aid, and genetic modification of living organisms. Additionally you find the schematics for their construction, in the case you need to move or reconstruct them. A small antenna sticks off the back of the computer tower, though you've never seen anything like it. It looks like it recieved its activation signal through that, if you had to make an educated guess.

Glass
You remain catatonic and your breathing begins to slow. Soon it will stop and you will slip away. Perhaps your body wasn't properly assembled, or your soul unwilling to return to the world. Whatever the case, if you cannot muster the will to move, you will certainly die. 

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 03:04:58 pm »

Grab anything that can be considered a weapon and proceed to PRESS THE SURFACE BUTTON!!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 03:09:05 pm »

Hmmm, so something smashed it's way through most of the SUVs and killed the people there. The third SUV likely wasn't attacked due to the person inside it having already left to deal with whatever caused the damage inside the hangar-like warehouse. However, the biggest clue as to the nature of the creature is that all the corpses have been dragged or carried away. This means the creature was likely hunting them for food and dragged away the bodies to a nest or safe place for it to eat, along with any weapons that they had on them, which we know they likely had due to the nature of the place and the spent pistol bullets lying around. Of course, the chance that everyone who died still managed to hold onto their gun is unlikely, which means the creature that killed these people must be intelligent enough to realize that guns were a bad thing to leave in the open and carried them away too. Not only that, but the fact that the creature that killed all these people did so with no obvious signs of being injured despite the fact we know that at least one person, and likely multiple, had guns is extremely worrying. Therefore it is likely we are dealing with some sort of organic hunter that is intelligent enough to hide guns and tough enough to not be injured at all by said guns. Let's hope it's left the area by now, or we may very well be fucked. At the very least we know it's claws or whatever it used aren't strong enough to damage metal and it isn't quite intelligent enough to operate the elevator, else we would likely not exist.

Troublesome. The idea that such a creature had destroyed so much, and that he had no idea where it was, troubled TankKit. On the bright side, at least they had some crowbars.

Grab one of the crowbars, leaving the other there, and relay the information we've gathered to GPeter and tell everyone of the above theory about what we're facing, before walking back outside and hitting the window a few times to see how much damage it causes. Listen carefully after each hit to see if I can hear anything else, and make sure I look everywhere around me, including up and the wall and roof of the warehouse. Keep a particular eye on the open field surrounding the hangar, trying to see if I can notice anything off in between hits. If anything dangerous or very unusual happens begin slowly walking back to the hangar. If I see anything odd start running at us, inform the others and make sure everyone gets back to the elevator.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 03:14:23 pm »

*shakes self awake*

What was I doing?

Um... investigate my surroundings.

(Sorry, the first update was pretty late at night for me, and then I’ve had work to do, so... :/ )
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 11:36:30 pm »

Glass
You find yourself in an empty room inside the bunker. You and three others emerged from several high tech pods in the room above. One of your compatriots is using the computer to try and gather information. The other two went up to the surface. One of them comes down and shares his theory on what attacked this place.

GPeter
You can't find a weapon in the rather empty computer room, but upon going up to the surface, Tankkit (who is holding a crowbar) directs you to another one inside the warehouse. There's a lot of debris scattered about. It appears as if this bunker was under construction, but they had only managed to get the first level set up. Many of the destroyed and damaged crates say Zero Industries on them, and you spot bits of really high tech machinery like the Soul Pods, though in their destroyed state, its hard to tell what they would have been. Still, there's a good deal of useful scrap around that could be used for all manner of devices if you found the blueprints for them. A bit of a ways away, you hear a cell phone start to ring.

Tankkit
You grab a crowbar and tell the party about your theory. Its a grim hypothesis, and it seems to be the only logical one. Afterwards you begin hitting the SUV windows with the crowbar. They break fairly easily, and you don't think the glass is reinforced or bullet proof. Looking around as you do so, you don't notice any danger nearby. Though as you look off across the open field, you nearly have a heart attack! A loud and sudden ringing starts violently right behind you! It takes you a few moments to realize its a cell phone! It seems to be coming from the corpse pinned under the SUV.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 06:46:13 am »

Clearly we have something big around. Whatever this creature is, there's 2 possibilities, 1: It's a really big creature, thus the damage and everything. 2: It isn't so big, but there's a pack of it, considering that there should have been at least 3 people in each car, that about sums up nearly 20 bodies (Considering that the 5th car was for just the VIP and his driver). That must be a really big creature to eat so much, or it is stocking food, or again, a pack of creatures, nonetheless, it creeps me out.

Go outside, but steathily, whatever this creature is, it could be nested nearby.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 08:41:59 am »

Get up on the roof of the warehouse and look for any buildings that might be in the distance, also warn everyone if I see anything that looks dangerous in the distance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:10:19 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 08:52:12 am »

If it is a pack of creatures that killed the people then it is more likely that they are very fast more than strong. I would say they would also have to be stealthy, but it seems pretty clear that they rampaged through the SUVs, which is actually another reason I favour the big creature explanation. A pack of creatures doesn't need to be big, in fact it would only cause more problems in the long run. And something has to be pretty big to literally rip SUVs to shreds. Also holy shit I hope the creature is not close by or has bad hearing, because this is not good. Wait, what if the creature(s) accidentally caused it? We know the creature(s) dragged the corpses away, and those corpses likely had phones on them, so it stands to reason that the creature may of somehow knocked something and called the guy under the car. That, or maybe the creature(s) have the ability to learn and have just figured out how the phones work.

"Oh no."

TankKit immediately starts trying to find a way to reach the phone underneath the car, smashing through the window and trying to find a way to get to the phone. While doing this constantly check the area around me for signs of anything coming towards me, yell to everyone else to run and run to the elevator myself if I see something. See how dry the blood trail looks and where it goes just before I do this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:53:15 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 09:44:15 am »

Check out the computers. I doubt they’ve got internet, but the files on them likely have useful information at the least.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »

Glass
You go through the computer now that GPeter has moved away from the console. (4) You find pretty much the same things as he did. Lots of corrupted files, information on how to construct, deconstruct and operate these soul pods, as well as their various uses. Genetic modification, analysis of organic tissue, cryosleep, ect.

GPeter, King Zultan, and Tankkit
The three of you are outside, and very on edge due to the number of potential deaths that just occurred here. King Zultan climbs up on the roof to keep a lookout and see if he can spot any nearby buildings. (20!) As you climb up on the roof, you manage to spot a gas station maybe fifteen or twenty miles down the road. As your stomach begins to rumble, you think that it would likely be a good place to stock up on supplies, especially if it was abandoned in the chaos of the last week.

GPeter sneaks around the area, though if there was something nearby, it likely would have seen King Zultan Climb onto the roof, or heard the cell phone that was going off. Still, you grip your crowbar firmly and super-spy your way into the parking lot.

Tankkit dives through the smashed out passenger side window, which now faces the sky on the overturned SUV, and crawls his way towards the ground where the body is pinned. It seems the cell phone is in the corpse's suit pocket, and with a good pull, the entire corpse comes up into the vehicle with you. Or at least, whats left of it. It looks as though the body was cut in half, not so cleanly, at the midsection. Blood splatters on you a bit, and a terrible smell fills your nose. Seems like he's been dead for at least a few hours. Inside his jacket you find two things of note. A fully loaded G-14 pistol, with 12 shots in it and a ringing Hawaii Late 9 cell phone!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:57 pm »

Hours. HOURS. Now I'm really on edge.

Alright, he had a gun. He'd give someone else the crowbar though. But the smell was awful. Even worse was the fact that whatever killed those people did so recently. As for the phone, he needed to get somewhere were it couldn't be heard just in case. As he got out from under the vehicle, he says "Alright, I have a gun, someone else can have this crowbar. And look out, these people died far too recently for comfort."

Grab the phone and answer the call on my way back to the elevator, making sure I'm in an empty room inside the bunker. Gently put down the crowbar next to the elevator on my way in.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 12:05:57 am »

“Soul pods”? Huh. And genetic manipulation, too.

Let’s see if the compute has a simulator on it if any kind that allows me to figure out what certain alterations would do, and look for ones that would decrease necessary food consumption. For example, photosynthesis.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 12:24:56 am »

Tankkit
You go off into one of the empty levels and take the phone call.

Glass
You begin going through the genetic modification programs. There's a pop-up warning about the risks of self-experimentation and live subjects which is so full of lawyer double-speak and jargon that you end up just clicking next instead of reading the thirty page long epic. You find a simulation program easily enough, but upon launching it, you find the databanks are corrupted. The UI is remarkably intuitive and well designed, and you quickly locate an analysis option to load new genetic information into the database. With enough samples, you're sure you could put together a decent simulation and write up a program to edit human gene expression while splicing in genetic material from other organisms. It's at that point you realize your nose is bleeding slightly from one side and you were thinking incredibly quickly about topics you have, or rather had, little to no knowledge about. It seems as though you've gained an intricate knowledge of this advanced machinery and principles. You look at the soul pods and wonder what those things truly are and who could have possibly made such a thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4