Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultimate Catapult Tower  (Read 1193 times)

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ultimate Catapult Tower
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

This is a little trick I tested out today, it uses the basic principle of deflecting the stones from a catapult off a wall and into a trench but with one subtle difference- it can also be used to attack!

Construct a four by three tower, with the catapult inside and fortify the walls-

code:

######
#    #
# O==#
#    #
######  

Built a basement in the tower and link the basement to your fortress via a tunnel, this ensures that there is no external door that could be broken into. Link this underground room to the tower via an internal staircase.
Finally dig a channel in front of the tower that leads to the basement-

code:

Ground Level:                    Basement:
  ######                        ########
  #>   #.                 #######<     #
  # O==#.                              #
  #    #.                 #######      #
  ######                        ########

Now, build a drawbridge over the channel, ensure that it lifts to the east and that it covers the channel when down and link it to a lever inside the tower-

code:

Drawbridge Down:             Drawbridge Up:
  ######                      ######      
  #>   #[]                    #>   #.|
  # O==#[]                    # O==#.|
  #o   #[]                    #o   #.|
  ######                      ######

Finally, make the whole basement a stone storage area.

When the drawbridge is up it acts as a wall to deflect the stone into the basement, allowing your dwarfs to practice without injuring anyone, wasting stone or even having to travel very far to reload.

If you come under attack simply pull the lever and lower the drawbridge, now the catapult can fire as normal and furthermore the drawbridge covers the channel and blocks any possible route into your fortress.

As a final touch you will want to build a second level on the tower to hold your marksdwarfs- dont forget to add a few squares of metal only ammo storage up there so they have a constant supply without having to run back to the fortress.

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

cibbuano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://moviecritic.com.au
Re: Ultimate Catapult Tower
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

fantastic... I have a feeling that I'll go home and try that tonight...
quot;I need a SHELL!!" screams an insane Craftsdwarf.

"I''m too sleepy to go fishing," mutters a Fisherdwarf, "and all I''ve caught are these damn albino cave fish."

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:06:03 pm »

This is absolutely BRILLIANT and you deserve a gold medal in Useful Fortress Defenses.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 05:33:56 pm »

Nicely done engineer!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 05:45:56 pm »

My main complaint with this approach is that the catapult is far too close to the target zone - your siege operators will take one look at the goblins on the other side of the wall and run screaming. Something like this would probably work better:
Code: [Select]
..............+..#
#####.........+..#     F: Fortification
#...#.........+..#     .: open space
#o==F.........+..#     +: floor
#...#.........+..#     #: wall
#####.........+..#     o==: catapult
..............+..#
You don't even need a bridge. As a bonus, the narrow path between the chasms makes an excellent place for your dwarves to engage the enemy in melee combat. You might want to post a guard in the catapult pit, though, just in case a goblin falls in. Or else make the pit deep enough that anything that does fall in explodes (sending limbs back up to the top level) when it impacts.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels