Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim  (Read 16824 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:35 am »

Assuming my dwindling consumables don't run out before then (tanking production times), in 17 hours I will have 38 Hydrogen and 174 Oxygen ready for the trip to NC1.  I suspect I may have some difficulty shifting that much Oxygen at this stage in the economy, but there seems to be a decent demand for Hydrogen.
Are you running off of one of the starting worlds (presumably one without a market) or did you start up somewhere completely out in the black?

What are fuel costs like?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2018, 10:55:37 am »

I'm on Vallis, so yeah a starting world without a market.  I have to fly to Montem for that, though it's the same system so no FTL fuel required.

Typically uses about 100 to 120 STL one-way* (~80 of which is takeoff and landing, not affected by the fuel usage slider) so around 2000-3000 credits for the round trip when people are selling off their starter fuel and around twice that if they're not and I have to buy from the market maker.

I did see a planet out in the black with around 80% hydrogen (Vallis is about 10%), but it either the temperature or pressure (or both) required advanced building materials that nobody's making yet.

*edit: checked in-game and bare minimum fuel usage is 88 STL one-way, but that takes 4 days.  Next bump is 94 STL for 2 days 8 hours.  102 STL for 1 day 13 hours.  107 for 1 day 5 hours.  112 for 23 hours.  120 for 19 hours.  At which point I stopped checking cos that's about as far as I'd be willing to increase my fuel usage.  Lowest priced STL at the moment is 950 units for 10.59NCC per unit.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:26:47 am by Biowraith »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2018, 07:34:37 pm »

Ugh - if I could deconstruct my incinerator to get the parts needed to build a food processor, I'd be golden. Instead I'm sitting on carbon that's not selling, crops that aren't selling, and raw water whose price has been steadily falling.

I'd initially thought I'd have an incinerator and a food processor by the end of the week, but my pioneers are eating/drinking/wearing clothing me out of a home.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 11:11:39 am »

I COLIQ'd again.  There was plenty of demand for the hydrogen I was making on Vallis, but the oxygen I was producing at the same time doesn't sell at all as it's only used for Settler+ productions.  One of the devs mentioned they wanted to discuss adding oxygen to some of the smelting recipes, and eventually it'll be in demand for Settler stuff, but who knows how long that'd take.  So I'm off to restart with the same setup on a world 1 hop from Moria that has double the hydrogen reserves.  Since I was previously selling 2.5 days production in 24 hours, I figure that should work out pretty nicely.  It also has some silicon ore for when I can afford to expand production (and magnesium, but I imagine there'll be a wipe before anyone wants that).

Ugh - if I could deconstruct my incinerator to get the parts needed to build a food processor, I'd be golden. Instead I'm sitting on carbon that's not selling, crops that aren't selling, and raw water whose price has been steadily falling.

I'd initially thought I'd have an incinerator and a food processor by the end of the week, but my pioneers are eating/drinking/wearing clothing me out of a home.
Which world are you on?  Carbon sells for 2-2.5k pretty frequently on Montem (there's bids for about 45 units at 1800-1900 currently).

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2018, 12:27:44 pm »

CI 1, which appears to have a much smaller population than Montem, and additionally is missing the big iron refining industry that Montem supports.

Theoretically carbon is needed all over the place in multiple processes, but apparently not enough of it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 12:39:26 pm »

you should move to the Promitorsed Land.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 12:48:45 pm »

Ah yeah, CI1 looks kinda rough.  Far away from the other markets (about 10k in fuel costs I think) and smaller population.

When I first started I assumed the CI worlds would be the main ones and Moria'd be the low pop system.  Goes to show how good my judgement is.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 08:06:30 pm »

Is there anything in actual demand right now?  It appears to be a very tedious task trying to figure out what is useful and what isnt.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 09:44:38 pm »

Is there anything in actual demand right now?  It appears to be a very tedious task trying to figure out what is useful and what isnt.
Well, there's always going to be a demand for DW, RAT, and OVE (Drinking Water, Rations, and Pioneer Clothing).

Otherwise, there's a lot of processes that use C (Carbon), including smelting and making clothing.

H (Hydrogen) appears to be in demand in Montem (another clothing pre-req, as well as used in BDEs).

And, finally, there's (surprise) big demand for RCO (Cotton Raw), which is yet another clothing piece.

Basically, the entire universe is still just barely crawling out of tier 0 - 1 stuff, so the only thing in really high demand is what pioneers consume every day. Presumably it'll eventually switch over to also include Settler essentials as well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:46:16 pm by AlStar »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2018, 01:30:44 am »

I may have miscalculated on my new base's hydrogen production.  Apparently it's not double what I was producing on Vallis, it's quadruple - twice the yield in half the time (albeit without the oxygen).  While there's definitely demand for hydrogen, I'm not sure it'll be enough for the quantities I'm going to be supplying.

The question is whether to horde it to keep prices and profits high for myself as long as possible, or do the 'right' thing and sell it for less to reduce the costs of clothing etc.

I kinda wish I could offer scaling prices depending how much someone is buying in one go - a bulk discount so if I'm charging 1000 per unit, I'd reduce that to 900 if you buy 10 or more, 800 if you buy 25 or more, that sort of thing.  I suppose that'd get very messy to represent on the market though.

re: demand - there'll also be some demand for construction prefabs, though with carbon prices keeping iron prices high I'm not sure how much actual profit you could make with that.  But yeah, generally Pioneer consumables and their ingredients will have some demand, varying by location.  Anything requiring Settlers or above won't really sell at all just now.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2018, 01:52:20 am »

Now that is interesting, ended up getting a resource extracting expert today, so I guess you randomly get those as you play.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2018, 04:14:06 am »

Apparently you get an expert for every 240 hours of running time on that type of facility (i.e. 2 extractors would mean 120 hours for a new expert).  I think the time scales up for each expert you have.  And despite running 4 collectors for 72 hours each, no new experts for me, so I guess I'm wrong about that somewhere.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2018, 06:09:31 pm »

Apparently you get an expert for every 240 hours of running time on that type of facility
maybe that's more of an MTTH estimate? (so you when you get them is random but on average it's once every 240/facility# hours)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 02:40:36 am »

My 4d4h production cycle just ended and immediately I got a new expert, so my guess as to why I didn't get one at the 2.5 day mark is that it's only counting facility hours from completed cycles.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2018, 11:38:20 pm »

So you can literally have a game over in this game.

I was away for a while, came back and for some reason my money went really low (in the 100s). And...my people are at 0 satisfaction...and at that point they don't work at all. Which makes sense I guess for realism...but I'd have to restart again to continue.

I'll probably skip this game for a while until some kinks are worked out. Kinda annoying one can be gone and if satisfaction hits 0 can't do anything about it. Though dunno why my money went down too, that didn't help.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8