Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim  (Read 16811 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 12:43:49 am »

...And how do you clear your alerts? That ( 8 ) on my tab is kind of bugging me.
In the top left corner you'll see "NOTS 8" (with the 8 being how many 'unread' notifications you have).  Click that then mark all as read.

Oooh, that did it. (Except I also had to toggle on the SCRNS option, and it was in the upper right for me.) Thought it was buried in some menu I couldn't find.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 01:27:05 am »

Oh right, yeah, SCRNS and top right not left.  Apparently I don't brain right (or left) this early in the morning.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 02:22:47 am »

Hm...decided to get the game and already I'm building spreadsheets.

I've already found a hole in the system, neon is seeded when hydrogen is needed to make things. :-\

More holes found. Entire planets having no resources whatsoever on them. End production will create excess sodium, not even as a meme. The entire financial screen and how little of any of that actually does anything in the game.

This is kind of sad to see. I saw something like this before, fancy setup, lots of info that ended up being pointless, mechanics being faulty. That game got taken down for a while then put back up again being almost as broken as before. Now the game doesn't initially appear as bad, but I'm worried that as I delve deeper in the mechanics, it will be.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:24:29 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 02:35:53 am »

Hm...decided to get the game and already I'm building spreadsheets.

I've already found a hole in the system, neon is seeded when hydrogen is needed to make things. :-\

More holes found. Entire planets having no resources whatsoever on them. End production will create excess sodium, not even as a meme. The entire financial screen and how little of any of that actually does anything in the game.

This is kind of sad to see. I saw something like this before, fancy setup, lots of info that ended up being pointless, mechanics being faulty. That game got taken down for a while then put back up again being almost as broken as before. Now the game doesn't initially appear as bad, but I'm worried that as I delve deeper in the mechanics, it will be.

From what I understand, most of the empty planets are for later. He is still actively adding in buildings and trading and such.But yeah, at the start there isn't to much to do.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 03:20:41 am »

Oh, I spotted you in chat talking about that, etgfrog... shortly before I got sidetracked for half an hour into looking at info for real life uses of pure sodium. (Much like ingame... there isn't much.)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 03:32:52 am »

Looks interesting and unique

Is there a long term goal or some sort of end? Is the goal just to survive? It seems like a fun distraction but if the game never ends I don't see the point
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 03:57:07 am »

From what I understand, most of the empty planets are for later. He is still actively adding in buildings and trading and such.But yeah, at the start there isn't to much to do.

I saw someone in chat saying the planet resources outside the starter systems were randomised to some extent and there was plans for some sort of exploration function later to discover new resources.

(and on neon vs hydrogen, that'll be one of my two starting exports, once my collectors have had a few days to generate enough of it to make the trip to market from Vallis actually profitable)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:48 am »

Yeah this game looks interesting and not at all ready for players. I think I'll keep an eye on it and wait a while.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 03:55:04 pm »

Just commenting cause I will certainly return to this
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2018, 04:08:33 pm »

I got a 2nd water rig going, that will speed up food/drink production a ton.

Though I think I lucked out with choosing farming cause I don't really deal with shortages like what others are having. Everything I make I don't need to rely on anyone else and its pretty much self sufficient. Unless I want to build more production or resources (like the 2nd water rig I needed). But other than building new stuff, all the food and water I can make really cheap but actually sell for a decent amount.

I hope the game doesn't die off though, cause a game like this with such a bad economy isn't a very good sign. But I guess it is alpha...but not starting off the best for a game made around an economy without an actual economy. The most stable economy is food/drink, everything else doesn't seem nearly as good.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:56 pm »

Messed around with it a bit. Seems horribly unbalanced? Even the starts are way off as far as starting resources.

Also, does farming take more water on other worlds? Farming on that high fertility world (I forget the name, the faction with only one world) uses miniscule amounts of water compared to what the rig pulls up. I'm running two farms and a food thing off one rig.

I didn't try the other starts, but starting as a victualler gives crap for resources. Starting as a metallurgist gave me like double the initial building stuff. I restarted as metallurgy package and built 2 farms and a rig and a food factory and I have enough stuff left over to buy another residence and two more farms if I sell my fuel. Only thing is I don't get the experts which might bite me in the butt later but as a victualler my bottleneck was farms anyway not the efficiency of my food factory.

Not sure if I want to stick around or not. I see it's an alpha but the economy is really screwed up as far as I can tell. Like EOS levels of screwed up lol.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 04:25:59 pm »

I'm more amused that you can grow 4 units of crop in 16 hours but it takes 24 hours to burn those 4 crops into charcoal.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 12:51:23 am »

Also, does farming take more water on other worlds? Farming on that high fertility world (I forget the name, the faction with only one world) uses miniscule amounts of water compared to what the rig pulls up. I'm running two farms and a food thing off one rig.

How much water are you pulling? I'm on Montem and get about 2 units of water per hour two and a half hours per unit of water. Drinking water also costs MarketMaker here.

Edit: How did I flip the fraction that badly?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:57:21 am by Aoi »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 01:12:59 am »

From what I understand - and this isn't from personal experience, just what I've heard - soil fertility affects how long one 'run' of crop production takes to complete.  What takes a day to complete on Montem might take a few hours on Promitor (I dunno exact values).  Water usage per run and crop yield per run are fixed though, regardless of planetary conditions. 

Water yields from rigs is affected by the amount of water on the planet, so e.g. Promitor's ~55% water levels results in much more water per run per rig than Montem's ~10% water.  Same story for other raw resource extraction.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 02:53:54 am »

That is correct. Unfortunately, I started off on CI 1, it takes 5 hours and 48 minutes for a rig to make 2 units of water. So really, this world is kind of bad. Even if I sell the water at 100, it will take me two months to pay off buying a rig here. One of the biggest problems that I've seen is the inability to know how long it will take to produce something before you build the structure, which means you cant make any projections if something is worthwhile to build.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8