Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim  (Read 16800 times)

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:59:47 pm »

Prosperous Universe has ended their closed alpha and launched a new phase of alpha testing they are calling First Access. There are an immense number of new resources and production chains. More stuff than I have had time to properly assimilate has been added.

Prosperous Universe is an online multiplayer economic game in which players manage and grow an interstellar trading company over a period of months. The game does not feature military conflict. Players interact by assuming a production role in a vast supply-chain driven economy. The highly customizable UI called APEX is central to gameplay and asset management.

This is what it looks like
Apex tutorial #1
Getting Started tutorial #2
wiki - the videos in text form

The amount of time spent in game is only tied to advancement or success up to a certain point because production and travel both take real time hours to complete. There are no accelerators or boosters to spend actual money on. While it is certainly possible to spend all day investigating the game and making plans it is also possible to simply maintain position with a quick check-in.

The dev team is just three full-time people. This is their passion project and they have been working to get the game into shape for years. I played in several alpha builds and I have seen a tremendous amount of improvement. This phase contains the largest amount of content added at one time so far. It probably has balance issues that will only become apparent with a large number of active players. As a project still in alpha there will be wipes and resets.

At the moment the business model resembles kickstarter with tiers of rewards tied to donation size. All of the backer rewards unlock the First Access testing phase. The lowest tier costs ten euros. Eventually they plan to have free and premium monthly pricing similar to (but less costly than) games like Elder Scrolls Online Plus, Eve Online Omega and others. That is in the works for the next phase of testing which will be Early Access. At the moment there is no free to play option.

The devs are open to feedback and suggestions and very active on the forums and discord.

wiki: starting out

Suggestions: my hard earned wisdom and insights
1. There is no need to rush. Planning pays off in the end.
2. It is possible to run production with less than 100% worker efficiency. While supplying your workers with food and drink is important, it is possible to operate more slowly without a full complement of staff or providing luxury consumables.
3. Demolishing your structures yields NOTHING in return! There is a demolish button. Don't press that button.
4. Manage your push notifications. The game will send you emails by default but that may not be your thing.
5. There is too much game information. Finding what you need involves mastering the APEX UI. Every bit of information available to a player can be brought forward by a text command or GUI navigation which does the typing for you.
6. Starting on a planet without a commodity exchange increases the difficulty level. Each hyperspace jump away from a system with a commodity exchange is another increase in difficulty. Fuel costs money and travel takes time. Also, beware planets that are not suitable for settlement using only the starting resource package.
7. Workers need daily consumables in order to produce. They will take their supplies immediately when you build a new habitation module - and your existing population will take a prorated amount also in order to bring them onto the same twenty-four hour schedule.

forums https://com.prosperousuniverse.com/
discord https://discordapp.com/invite/G7gj7PT

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:56:48 am »

Ptw

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:16:49 am »

The game seems to require a purchase and offers no trial. Not that that's a bad thing, but it is unusual for a BBG.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:09 pm »

The payment tiers look a hell of a lot like it was from kickstarter.
Anyways, may be interested later on.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:58:04 am »

Looks interesting.  Grabbed a key from one of those sites (thanks!) and set up Vandelay Enterprises.  I have no idea what I'm doing, but we're manufacturing Polyethelene.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 08:41:58 am »

Thanks Rumble, got one of those keys also.

First thoughts.. thats some small fonts, *squints closer to the screen*
2nd thoughts.. Gonna need me that instruction manual.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 10:34:42 am »

Quite a spreadsheet simulator, this game, isn't it?  :P
That being said there are video tutorials for the essential stuff built into the game, which is nice.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 11:37:38 am »

another tip:

game gives priority to whoever put up an order first at a particular price
but the market maker puts up an infinite order at the instant the game starts
so you must beat the market maker on price
even .01 is enough

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 12:04:56 pm »

I'm not an expert on this game, but it seems like you can make a killing on Promitor (Insitor Cooperative) as a Constructor. All Victuallers who settle it have the workforce to build an additional Farmstead (though they probably don't have enough money to do so out of the gate) and the 2 costliest components to do so are made by constructors.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 04:14:32 pm »

Well, I've made a company mining limestone and iron ore, then turning that into iron.

Currently looking to build a Prefab Plant MK1, since that appears to use iron to make BSE's, which I need to build everything else (and which appear to be rather pricey on the exchange.) My current plan involves raising the cash to buy the components for the Plant by selling all the fuel in my transports - it's not like I'm planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »

I went into farming and food industry. Will it make money? Probably not as usually agriculture in these kinda games is hard work and not much pay...guess like real life.

But farming man! FARMIIIIIIING!!! :D

I'll spend 1000s of hours to perfect the best farm possible in farming simulator...more hours than every game I have combined on steam for just that perfect farm :P

There is no other calling in any game, but farming/agriculture and making food for people.

I did see construction materials are pretty expensive though, but I'm just gonna stick with farming and food.

But food/drinking water looks like it'll always be needed. As people need to eat/drink. So its a pretty stable income if anything else, even if its low money with current prices.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:34:01 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »

We should see if we can get a group on a single planet and/or system.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 09:24:37 am »

ptw, might try this out

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 09:33:03 pm »

I wound up joining in. I started on Valllis. No market. Decided to go with a extractor, collector and a smelter. Looks like I will be mainly selling steel until I gather enough funds to start up a carbon farm. Seems to be like no carbon at all on the market now.

*Edited* I restarted as a food/carbon producer. It seems like that when I chose the area that would be good for metal working and such, that literally everyone else did the same thing. I've only seen one other producer there, so I suppose I might as well go that line.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:19:40 pm by Xardalas »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8