Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Additional locations: Marketplace, Gymnasium, Studio, Arena, Gardens  (Read 2530 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ideas for additional locations:

Marketplace

Dwarves go to the market to acquire trinkets, clothing, and larger items. Any unowned item in a marketplace zone is "fair game" for acquisition; conversely, items outside of marketplaces are "off limits" as long as a marketplace exists (no more rushing onto an active battlefield to acquire socks). When the economy returns, marketplace purchases would require funds.

Gymnasium

Dwarves seeking exercise (e.g. "practice a martial art") head to a gymnasium. Possible activities include running, jumping, and throwing whatever random items the civilization has defined as a sport (spears, axes, logs, crossbows, etc.).

Studio

Dwarves that desire to create something (e.g. need to "practice a craft", "do something creative") visit a studio. Choosing any appropriate workshop inside the zone, they perform a random job even if they don't qualify (e.g. labor not activated, excluded by workshop profile, etc.). Players would setup workshops inside the studio (and, optionally, add jobs, limit available resources with links or burrows, and set a profile to prevent standard use).

Arena

Dwarves that seek combat (e.g. need "to fight") volunteer to fight in an arena. Matches are essentially sparring with a winner declared. Other dwarves ("need excitement") might choose to spectate instead.

Gardens

Dwarves in search of nature (e.g. need "to wander", "introspection", "take it easy") visit a garden zone. Only tiles near vegetation or trees would count toward a garden zone.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Additional locations: Marketplace, Gymnasium, Studio, Arena, Gardens
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:56:35 pm »

These are great ideas!  (I'm assuming that dwarves will one day actively seek out need fulfillment a bit better soon-ish.)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:02:10 am »

Marketplace will probably happen at some point.  They exist in world-gen.

Gymnasium.  World-gen has footraces and processions.  I could see some sort of old-fashioned, ancient greek style olympics happening in the future.  (I want chariot races!  Give us a hippodrome!)

I could see some arena thing in the far, far future.  Part of me imagines it would be an adventure-mode-only thing (knowing how things go in this game).  Right now dwarves just stand and flash when they spar with one another.  I can't picture an arena functioning any differently until there are some major additions to the game.

Botanical gardens are not dwarfy.  We have statue gardens.  And zoos.  And museums.  And memorial halls.

The studio could be useful from a 'fill needs' standpoint.  No idea what it might look like in its final form.  I could almost see it being a designation for a craftsdwarf workshop under the Workshop Profile.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:46:44 am »

Doesn't have to be "dwarfy" to be implemented. Eventually other civs will be playable alongside dwarves.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 05:07:47 am »

Arena

Dwarves that seek combat (e.g. need "to fight") volunteer to fight in an arena. Matches are essentially sparring with a winner declared. Other dwarves ("need excitement") might choose to spectate instead.

it would be nice that the arena was built only by the civilizations who practice the slavery system and the relative system of gladiators. Trade routes that trade with indigenous semiprimitive civilizations. Rich men who invest money to buy the strong and fighter slave. The arena is something that belongs to the human style. The dwarfs have nothing to do with the arenas. In the arenas you must die, maybe not always,but there must be hard and violent fighting, otherwise it does not attract the mass of people.The Ancient Romans had also filled the arenas with water for fighting between boats.
Or used for spectacular killings of "criminals", with ferocious animals. Sometimes the tongue was cut out so as not to hear the cries for help.
The Arena is not sparring, the Arena is death.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:50:10 am by compsognathus »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:58:43 am »

it would be nice that the arena was built only by the civilizations who practice the slavery system and the relative system of gladiators. Trade routes that trade with indigenous semiprimitive civilizations. Rich men who invest money to buy the strong and fighter slave. The arena is something that belongs to the human style. The dwarfs have nothing to do with the arenas. In the arenas you must die, maybe not always,but there must be hard and violent fighting, otherwise it does not attract the mass of people.The Ancient Romans had also filled the arenas with water for fighting between boats.
Or used for spectacular killings of "criminals", with ferocious animals. Sometimes the tongue was cut out so as not to hear the cries for help.

Nothing you are saying makes any sense.  Non-lethal, recreational violence is a thing (boxing anyone?).  The unpleasant civilizations you mentioned do not need a whole new building, they just have to make use of their arenas differently. 

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:53:08 am »

Nothing you are saying makes any sense.  Non-lethal, recreational violence is a thing (boxing anyone?).  The unpleasant civilizations you mentioned do not need a whole new building, they just have to make use of their arenas differently.

No need to slant them too hard @GoblinCookie. You're both right but its a matter of subjective taste and interpretation of the initial idea of a 'arena combat zone' and how different cultures use it. The stereotypified Rome example, or even greek wrestling in little itsy bitsy loincloths // contemporary WWE where choreography through violence tells a theatrical story to hold the audience's attention.

Elves might just think of it as a enormous podium for two scholars to battle each other with arguements like a civilized literary rap-battle, first person to clearly bore the audience or strike out at anger at the other loses the match while throwing fruit and flowers as elves do after sacrificing and eating the losing party in the winner's celebration banquet afterwards. I reckon you'd be a willing contender @GobinCookie.

On the topic of zones, if the initial 'huddle in here and never leave' isn't fixed, simply moving along to more static recreational places like the OP's description would help so +1 from me. (though i would still preferably like a fix, i dont like dwarves standing still not talking or interacting with the world)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 12:08:08 pm »

Doesn't have to be "dwarfy" to be implemented. Eventually other civs will be playable alongside dwarves.
I'm sorry.  Every single sentence in the original post started with the word "dwarves" so naturally I assumed we were talking about dwarves.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 05:10:18 pm »

I'm sorry.  Every single sentence in the original post started with the word "dwarves" so naturally I assumed we were talking about dwarves.
And it's bad to expand on a suggestion because...?
The game features other races, worlds without dwarves, worlds with non-dwarfy dwarves. No point in limiting the discussion to what one particular race might have.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:15:19 pm »

And it's bad to expand on a suggestion because...?
The game features other races, worlds without dwarves, worlds with non-dwarfy dwarves. No point in limiting the discussion to what one particular race might have.
I was snarking at the chastising tone of that comment, which you have now echoed.

No, there's nothing wrong with expanding the discussion, do whatever.  Good hell.  You going to let me stop you?  Go on!  Expand upon it!  Let your imagination roam free!  Or did you just want to rebuff me and add nothing to the actual topic?

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 11:13:21 am »

I reckon you'd be a willing contender @GobinCookie.

lol!

@GobinCookie.

in fact I wrote "the (Human) civilizations that do slave trade or spectacular / bloody death executions". My English is poor, maybe I did not explain myself.
However, to satisfy the desire to fight free sport there is no need to build a colossal arena ... I do not know what Toady One means with that need of "martial arts". A free space would be enough ... the arena is full of people, from 1000 to 50000 people ... to see free fight? I doubt it. The rich want to make money and the people want to have fun.  (need economy)
In twenty years we will have cpu processors that will support this number of people, to play as a spectator or as a gladiator.
Building a real arena in fortress mode is impossible. With "Arena" I mean "Roman Amphitheater".

it would be nice to include the race between horses (or chariots) in the "maximum circus", "Roman circus" it is considered the largest structure for shows built by man. Long 657 yard, and Large 153.
All this to differentiate human civilizations.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:53:42 pm by compsognathus »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 12:38:55 pm »

Uhm, I thought "circusses and bread" implied that many Roman politicians would be okay with offering free visits to the arena. Similarly, I can also see such fields being used for theatre, elections(which the dwarves do) or other political purposes, public trials/executions, or religious ceremonies for which the temple is too small. Though, traditionally some of these have all used the market place. (There's also grouping and gathering events, like gathering military, or gathering livestock, but these also usually happened on the marketplace)

I wouldn't mind seeing marketplaces instead of trading depots. From all the talks the idea is to make trading a bit less scheduled and more of a fluid thing, and I have the feeling it'd will make it hard to oversee what's happening tradewise if you only have a tiny 5x5 trading depot where everyone and everything is gathering.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 11:55:49 pm »

+1 to all of these, except Markets which gets a whopping +9000.  It would be so nice to have a stockpile specifically for dorfs in need of acquisitions to root through while leaving my exports alone.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 07:55:26 am »

No need to slant them too hard @GoblinCookie. You're both right but its a matter of subjective taste and interpretation of the initial idea of a 'arena combat zone' and how different cultures use it. The stereotypified Rome example, or even greek wrestling in little itsy bitsy loincloths // contemporary WWE where choreography through violence tells a theatrical story to hold the audience's attention.

Elves might just think of it as a enormous podium for two scholars to battle each other with arguements like a civilized literary rap-battle, first person to clearly bore the audience or strike out at anger at the other loses the match while throwing fruit and flowers as elves do after sacrificing and eating the losing party in the winner's celebration banquet afterwards. I reckon you'd be a willing contender @GobinCookie.

On the topic of zones, if the initial 'huddle in here and never leave' isn't fixed, simply moving along to more static recreational places like the OP's description would help so +1 from me. (though i would still preferably like a fix, i dont like dwarves standing still not talking or interacting with the world)

My point was only that we don't always need a different building simply because what the culture uses the building for is different.  Voluntary non-lethal combat does not require a different building than gladiatorial combat. 

@GobinCookie.

in fact I wrote "the (Human) civilizations that do slave trade or spectacular / bloody death executions". My English is poor, maybe I did not explain myself.
However, to satisfy the desire to fight free sport there is no need to build a colossal arena ... I do not know what Toady One means with that need of "martial arts". A free space would be enough ... the arena is full of people, from 1000 to 50000 people ... to see free fight? I doubt it. The rich want to make money and the people want to have fun.  (need economy)
In twenty years we will have cpu processors that will support this number of people, to play as a spectator or as a gladiator.
Building a real arena in fortress mode is impossible. With "Arena" I mean "Roman Amphitheater".

it would be nice to include the race between horses (or chariots) in the "maximum circus", "Roman circus" it is considered the largest structure for shows built by man. Long 657 yard, and Large 153.
All this to differentiate human civilizations.

Chariot races probably need a whole different building to combat arenas.  I don't think they need a different building to foot races, just a stockpile to store chariots in and a regular pen to store horses in nearby. 

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 08:18:54 am »

My point was only that we don't always need a different building simply because what the culture uses the building for is different.  Voluntary non-lethal combat does not require a different building than gladiatorial combat.

You can trivialise this by just having it be token lead on the entity or assigned per site-type. easy peasy.
Pages: [1] 2