Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: GridLand Survival 4: A New Beginning  (Read 11656 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: GridLand Survival 4: A New Beginning
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 06:30:04 pm »

EDIT: Also, to add to the list idea proposed by 0cra_Tr0per, what if you made the categories themselves a bigger font size too, so they're more obvious when you're searching through the list? I can imagine it being very helpful later on.

I already made the list idea mockup have bolded categories, but I guess increasing font size wouldn't hurt.

Also claiming Blue w/ Cyan Glow as my color.
it's over

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 06:44:40 pm »

Just saw all the applications so far. I wonder what Tyrol will think of my... Suggesions... For what the abilities should do  ;D
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 07:24:07 pm »

Manakete. Star is back from the last game. Having Lev is still as nice as ever, but it's too bad I never got to swim in a volcano.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 03:45:48 pm »

I like that we all picked defensive/survival racial abilities, other than magical.

I had magical as a personal ability, but was told someone picked it as a racial bonus and that I could change it.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:49 pm »

GridLand Survival 4: Year 1, Turn 1(The Warm Season)

Crack
Crack-Crack-Crack
CRACK
You are free.
The shell that kept you safe as you grew has become confining and uncomfortable.
You have burst forth from it and see the world around you for the first time.
Your nest is nestled in crook of a gigantic stump. It's enourmous roots surround your nest. Your nest is parially dug into the ground against the tree. It
When you climb it you can see a forest to the east and cliffs to the north east. To the south is many shrubs.
The largest beach is to the west and the waves dance back and forth, coming and going in turn.
You can here a whistle of the wind and a song of sparrows.
The grass sways back and forth gently around you.
You can see your simblings aound you.
They seem to have hatched at the same time you did.
Your nestmates have speckled fur that is brown and green. Some of them have a bit of grey as well in their fur.
Their fur is thin and covers their small bodies. Their hands have six digits with somewhat long fingernails witch widen as they get further from the fingers.
You also see three adults nearby. They have longer nails than you do.
One is sitting atop the tree trunk looking in every direction vigilantly.
Another looks protectively at you the newly hatched eggs.
A third you can see further away to the south collecting things from some of the shrubs there.

Remember your abilities and that food is important.

Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NPCs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Completed Research (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research Progress (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
Total Food Consumption per turn=12
8 turns till starvation.

I have attached a few elements of advice from the original that are still applicable to this game.

I'll start with an explanation of how to determine your characters abilities. If you open the character list you will see your characters name and attributes. You will need to also look at the first post to see what those attributes actually do. The Red part of the character list indicates a characters Caste. The black ones are Abilties and the Blue information is temporary info, Including the tile that the character is currently on. At the very least you should memorize the effects of your own characters abilities.

There are few actions that can be taken without research or abilities. These include attempting to forage on a tile, hunting, and researching. If you attempt to do something you cannot do, you will be notified next turn.
This will generally waste your turn, but if you take note of the "Free Research" ability that is granted by the "Intelligent" class, you will see that it will not be a total waste. Some Natural Abilties and Character Abilities include actions that you can perform.

Your first priority should be to get a stable income of food so that you don't starve.
After that, you should figure out what you will want to do in order to ensure your species long term survival and prosperity.
Remember that you will require some degree of teamwork for this.

You will also want to keep an eye out for new game rules.
These will generally be mentioned in update posts.

Lastly if you catch the GM making a mistake, please let me know. I suspect I'll forget little details here and there. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on rules. If I make a rule in an update post and do not put it on the first post, be sure to tell me.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »

Nirur

After hatching into this exciting new world full of bright colors and vibrant sounds, he gazes about with wonder. He feels immediately drawn to the one in the tree, and chitters a happy greeting at it. He tries climbing the tree to reach it, but his newborn body lacks the strength or energy to do so. Dejected, he tries chittering and gesturing awe and praise at it. The Guardian of All! Surely he and his siblings will be safe under The Guardian's gaze.

He enjoys a fruit, and then bounds off to where another adult is, to unlock the mysteries of this delightful fruit.

I try to get The Guardian to continue keeping watch. I then move to forage with the NPC on F6, while free researching Sustainable Shrub Cultivation, hopefully as a collaborative action.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:28:52 pm by Nirur Torir »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 10:13:25 pm »

Kit, claiming Black with a Purple Shadow. Am spooky.
He looked at the fruit he was munching on. Where did they get it from? It tasted rather good, fresh. It was from somewhere near here... He went off to find more of it.
Action: Gather Blue-Pealed Fruit in particular, in the region of F6. Free Research Sustainable Cultivation of said fruit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:01:19 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 12:01:12 am »

Cry for joy at being alive. Cuddle the adult watching over us. Bond with it. Ask if it has food. Look around the nest for any stores of seeds we can plant.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:02:57 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 12:44:19 am »

Sigil claimed Navy, Andale Mono.

Sigil will move toF6, and will activate ability Minds Among the Stars. If this is not possible, Forge for food.

Free Research Hunting Tools..
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 07:30:20 am »

After carefully(heheh) looking through the character abilities, the only ones I noticed to be missing were my Careful ability and 0cra_tr0per's Strong ability.

Fiman

I go to F6 and forage the shrubs for food while free researching Foraging Tools. I assume I will automatically eat food beforehand so I don't start dying due to a fat level of 0? If not, eat first so my fat level doesn't go down.

High tyrol, do you mind if I create more informative character sheets? If you don't want to manage them I'd gladly manage them or, if you'd prefer, let people manage their own sheets once I've created them. Here's an example.
Spoiler: TankKit(Fiman) (click to show/hide)
The first two Character Abilities have a second hyphen due to being more likely to be inherited by any children. If you hover over the green stats with your mouse it shows you why they are higher than average. If a stat goes below average it will go red and hovering over it will tell you why. Also, do make sure to tell me if I got anything wrong. One thing I wasn't entirely sure on was whether or not being intelligent added to or replaced the affected stats.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 09:02:57 am »

Star

? What are they doing?

Assuming I eat the fish first. Follow to F6 and help with foraging afterward. Learn from the adults how to do so.(Smart)

Free Research 5: Mana Sensing.

I wouldn't mind.

Also, While Mana Sensing is likely to be a bit expensive research wise as shown in the last game.. It is at least something I'm good at. Magical Manakete+ Mana Sensing means better things all around. Best to start on it now than later, in my eyes. I'll keep at it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:14:15 am by TricMagic »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:35 pm »

GM ERROR SPOTTED

In the Character Abilities spoiler inside the Gridland Encyclopedia, there's an ability titled "Strong Genetic Base" which references Runt, an ability which is not listed in said spoiler. The description for Runt from GLS1 states the following:
Quote from: GLS1 Encyclopedia, Character Abilities section
"Runt: Life isn't fair, especially for civilians with this trait. Reduced size and penalizes almost all actions."
I feel like you forgot something. Also, like TankKit said, Careful and Strong are also missing.

Is it just me, or is my character the only one with a last name?

Jaynie Morgan @ F5

"Alright, we're probably alone, but also probably not, so in either case, let's keep our heads up, our eyes peeled, and don't do excessively stupid things, as very, very bad things will happen if we do stupid things.

>Spend all 5 actions my action (thanks whichever dinglefuck made it so that half the starting players start as children) foraging F6.

Free Research: Farming
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:39:01 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »

PTW. (do you accept still waitlist entries?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 01:23:29 pm »

PTW. (do you accept still waitlist entries?)

AFAIK waitlisters will join the game once an egg hatches. Still, we could use extra players.
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 01:37:34 pm »

Jaynie Morgan

"Alright, we're probably alone, but also probably not, so in either case, let's keep our heads up, our eyes peeled, and don't do excessively stupid things, as very, very bad things will happen if we do stupid things.

>Spend all 5 actions foraging F6.

Free Research: Farming

Child: 5 Health, 0 Attack, 0 Defense, 1 Move, 1 Labor, 1 Capacity, 1 Equipment, Cute, Unruly

What Caste we currently are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11