Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding dwarven beards flammability...  (Read 840 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding dwarven beards flammability...
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:33 pm »

so, out of left field question, if I were to give dwarves the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] token (which I already kind of did), and were to add that "string" (kind of new to modding DF, sorry, don't know the term) that makes all of a dragon's tissues nigh invulnerable to high temperatures (which I kind of did too), and I were to also give male dwarves the [SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER] (which I haven't done yet), could I make fireproof clothing out off dwarven beard wool/hair? Is it possible to shear dwarves, or any other sentient, if given the tokens?

I ask because I gave dwarves fire breath, and it went as well as you'd expect. The embark tools turned bursts of metal steam were an amusing surprise. If this works, I guess next thing I'd ask would be, can you make a wood that's fireproof, and would beds made out of it keep that property?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding dwarven beards flammability...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »

I think it's impossible to make stuff out of anything that came from a sentient creature.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding dwarven beards flammability...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:38 am »

I think it's impossible to make stuff out of anything that came from a sentient creature.

Goblins have ethics in this ballfield and can arrive already wearing trophies made out of their own population passively in generation (goblin nail rings etc), but can't harvest their own population in active play.

If you want a source of sentient bones/materials, run a DF-hack script to turn off dead_dwarf=true at death (ill link in the download when i can) and occasionally murder your visitor patrons or other neutrals/wild sentients you encounter while running a ethic appropriate civilization. Or just invoke the wrath of other civs to get people to invade you.

Dwarf invaders sent through the butchers made for good eating, beards for thread and plenty of fat for tallow and turning into soap.

You could try alternative methods, like having dwarves be shearable or have collapsible beard hair structures to drop a particular object to be used later to extract from.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:52:18 am by FantasticDorf »