Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Masterwork Chef Race  (Read 1563 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork Chef Race
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:33:52 pm »

You are cooking apprentices in the mountainhome, all aspiring to be given the opportunity to become the next legendary chef. As such, grandmaster Ramses Gorgo is holding a competition to find the best chefs in the realm to enter his esteemed chef's guild that is endowed with all the best resources so that the best chefs can cook the best meals for the best and most noble dwarves in the multiverse.

(OOC: I want an arms race/design game that's both accessible and that can be approached at professional levels. Few mortals can actually describe military engineering properly... but anyone can cook! or at least tinker about in a kitchen. The literature is also far more accessible for anyone who needs to do research into how to make a working dish.)

Game Phases:

Design Cooking Phase:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dinner service

Acquisition and Revision Phase:

--------------

Game rounds and game start:

Sample Signup

Quick reference:
https://www.businessinsider.com/beef-cuts-chart-2014-10/?IR=T&r=SG
http://chefpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Fish_Cuts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doneness
https://chefpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bar_and_Beverage_Terminology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cocktails
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:30:32 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Chef Race
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »

Reserved for contents list as such.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 03:02:07 am »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:19:01 am »

Are there any dwarves brave enough to try cooking?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:45:36 am »

Alright, so, I like the basic concept, but I have some comments.
First, the assertion that cooking is far simpler to describe than military engineering is ludicrous. But whatever.
I think you're asking for too much detail from people. Selecting the exact cut of meat? I sort of see where you're coming from, but I think you could simplify this without losing too much. I'd just use discretion to decide if someone is being overbroad with an ingredient request, rather than make it a hard rule.
I think only getting to add one ingredient each turn is a bit limiting. That won't allow you to mix things up much from meal to meal. I'd say either allow for two new ingredients each turn, or maybe one new ingredient and swap one existing ingredient for a new one.
Also, salt should be a free ingredient.
Long Live United Forenia!

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:40:00 am »

Joining

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:54:31 pm »

Anyway, like I said, I like the basic concept, so here's a signup sheet:

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 03:40:31 pm »

Here is my signup sheet.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 04:56:15 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:41 pm »

I'm adding a new rule that Table Salt and Lampong Black Peppercorns (that's the most common one for steaks) shall be free. But just that.

Edit: I like the swap idea, so how's this - rather than swapping with NPCs, you can trade any number of ingredients you have with each other, effective on mutual agreement.

I'll wait for Pavellius to get their sheet done, then we shall get cooking!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:31:22 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 09:51:02 pm »

Swapping with other players could definitely be interesting, and would allow for more dish diversity- especially having to use the same meat round after round could get boring.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:53:39 pm »

Thanks for waiting.
Spoiler: sign up sheet (click to show/hide)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »

"Good Gentledwarves and Gentledwarfwomen, we are gathered here today to witness the rise of some of our progeny into the ranks of the best chefs known to dwarvernkind!

Without further ado, I want you all to impress us! go ahead. Cook us something with what you have on you."

It is now the cooking phase! Contestants come up with their Recipe(s) to present for judgment in the dining phase. Remember you are judged on Description, Process, Dwarfiness (originality) and overall appeal.

We'll continue to take new applicants as they come.

Spoiler: Rithar Imnel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zefon Idenasob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Grobro Thnideer (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:38 pm »

Spoiler: Rat Pasty (click to show/hide)

Something like this, yes?

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:27:57 pm »

Yep it's perfect. One recipe like that for each dish!

Now what temperature do you bake the rat at? do dwarves have mercury thermometers? Maybe some do.
Pages: [1] 2