Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing rain?  (Read 949 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing rain?
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:35:53 pm »

Embarked in an evil biome for the first time in a year, on the border of 'untamed wild' mountains and a haunted forest. Anxiously awaiting the first sign of weather.
Rumors (and I think an old memory) include rains of alcohol, and heck yes I would kill for pools of sweet free sky-booze.
But even barring that? Yup, I'd love to capture and overturn some barrels of syndrome-causing sludge or even elf blood onto a stockpile of bolts to greet the gobbos with.
Of course I remember draining a pool into a cistern and letting it refill with normal boring essential hydrating rain, but are there ways to get all the fun stuff into barrels?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing rain?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:26:55 am »

No

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:04:26 am »

I think rain is only modeled as an area that makes everything in it wet. Theoretically you'd be able to send out dwarves wearing lots of clothing, have them become wet with whatever rain, then juice them to get the results.

It doesn't fill up ponds or containers or anything.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:40:02 am »

From what I recall, rain only accumulates on tiles that are specifically flagged as being pools or other natural water features.  You can probably set arbitrary tiles to accumulate rain using DFHack, but manually constructed cisterns won't do it.  I'm also pretty sure even with that flag set, tiles won't accumulate anything but water from rain.  I don't think the game can even model fluids except for water and magma, so no goblin blood pools or pools of various secretions from evil rain.

Sadly, yeah, there's also no way to fill barrels with things except through workshop tasks like brewing.  DFHack could again theoretically solve that, but it wouldn't be trivial.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:11:55 pm »

Well, darn.
Guess I'm limited to experimenting with the barrels of various otherwise-useless ichors and venoms from the traders.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.