Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Dungeon Rush: A Semi-Minimalist RTD  (Read 19789 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Rush: A Semi-Minimalist RTD
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 12:33:12 pm »

My predictions:

only the chosen may survive
it's over

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2019, 05:16:08 pm »

Turn 3

Please read the whole turn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I'll do you proud, sir!"

Begin a speech. Prepare for the battle.

"Us red-shirts are about to have the fight of our lives, and our next lives, and the lives after that. We will die, it's just a matter of when. And I tell you what soldiers, we are going to die spilling the guts of the Chosen Ones, floor after floor, making them fight for every inch! Glory to the lizards, who bring the legendary Dragons to the world! Glory to the Overlord, who pays us our gold! Glory to the First Floor Regiment! Hoorah!"

[5] You give an inpiring speech to raise morale in the reptilian army. As you speak, nearby monsters join the group to listen to your words. Bats, Lizards, Slimes, Rats, Snakes... By the end, the group size had nearly doubled in numbers.

"Hurrah! We'll take them down with us!" "We can't let those heroes invade our home just like this!" "Legends will immortalize our names, the first line of defense!" "Let's teach them to never underestimate us ever again!" "Glory to the First Floor Regiment! Hooray!" "Maybe we even get a raise out of this!" "We might not be strong by ourselves, but together, we'll destroy the Chose Ones!" "Glory to the Overlord! Let's make our Boss proud!" "We are monsters! And I'm proud of being one! Hoorah!" "The honor of having the first blood! Who would refuse such opportunity?" "As long as we stay together, nothing can stop us! Hurray!"

You start marching towards the front, and the cheering army follows their new leader. All these monsters, from different origins and species, marching with one goal in mind, with their hearts beating as one. You feel something awakening inside you.

Is this... Hope?

(Status: Inspired.)

Do a [cute... kitten. things.] to the goblins who dare to ignore a [kitten]!

Name: ERGLAGVER
Monster Class: [kitten]
Monster Type: black [kitten]
Floor: 1
Inventory: Empty

[1] You do a thing, and everyone ignores you. Reality ignores you so hard that not even it knows what just happened. It's as if you hadn't even done anything at all, somehow. It's literally nothing.

This makes you mad. You want to destroy those who dare ignore your presence.

(Status: Enraged)

Sharpen my teeth using a copper coin. Prepare to lunge at the throat if it's a Chosen One that opens the chest, or just exit if it's a monster

[1] You accidentally break one of your teeth with the coin. Ouch! The pain causes you to scream, which alerts the presence you felt before. After a moment, you start to hear someone walking in your direction.

(Status: Missing Tooth)

Have the slimes attack en-mass the first thing that comes to view, I will join the fray if it is an enemy.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

[4] The slimes reorganize themselves and take a defensive formation around you. They prepare to attack the heroes once they approach your position. As you are both in the center of the formation and in a hidden spot, this almost guarantees that you will survive the onslaugth while your fellow slimes take the hits for you.

Only problem is that the rest of the group isn't exactly hidden, so the noticeable pile of slimes means that attacks will come in your direction regardless.

(Status: Hidden > In Cover.)

spit the key outand maul that darned skeleton!

[6] Success! You spit the key into the air and launch yourself against the skeleton. With your strong jaws, you manage to latch onto it's femur, burrying your teeth into the bone.

Your attack makes the Skeleton fall to the ground, and you manage to detach it's leg from the main body. The key is lost during the struggle.

(Status: No longer Choking, Stuck. Lost: Storage Room Key.)

Try and find a shadowy corner to hide in, where I won't be immediately spotted by the Chosen Ones and maybe get a sneak attack in.

[5] You find a shady spot fairly close to the entrance, far enough from the rest of monsters while still having visibility of the Goblin army and the entrance.

You can see that most are unarmored and carry crude or makeshift weapons. Some use barrel lids as shields, others are carrying torches as weapons. The Goblin Captain is the only one wearing "decent" equipment: A chainmail, leather boots, and a hand axe. You doubt that this will be enough against a full party of heavily armed and extremely dangerous adventurers, but you know there aren't better warriors in the First Floor. Anything stronger, and they are sent to the upper Floors.

(Status: Hidden.)

Loot the nearby rooms for furniture and weapons, and build a barricade.

[6] You kick open a locked door to a nearby room, smash the furniture inside and carry the materials to the stairs to build a barricade with help from the Gnoll. With teamwork, you both manage to quickly build an extremely strong wall that will certainly block access to the stairs to anyone who isn't incorporeal. You and most monsters included.

The newly built wooden wall is now right in front of you and the stairs to the Second Floor are behind you. You didn't notice until it was too late, and now you are stuck in this room while the Gnoll and the rest of the First Floor is on the other side.

(No changes.)

Go look for a small zombie piece to snack on. A handful of fingers should be tasty.
(Jack, the Hungry Ghost)

[AUTO-1] You were so hungry you forgot it was yours and devoured your own undead hand. Next time, you should try to be more self-conscious and take notes of your current status.

The incorporeal hand does nothing to sate your own hunger, and the consumed ectoplasm just reforms into a new hand. You should proably find something with more consistency.

(Status: Peckish > Hungry.)

(Next time, please include your character sheet.)

Blot out any torches in the hallway, and try to remember. If I succeed,  go to the room I know most about.

[6] While successful, you burn part of yourself due to staying too close to the light. With this hallway now darkened, you try to recall information regarding your location.

You are currently in the Final Dungeon, located in the Shadowlands. The Evil Overlord's home. With 100 Floors, it's the largest fortress that has ever been built in this world's history. Filled to the brim with traps and monsters of all kinds, they are the last line of defense against humanity.

Your foggy memory tells you that this Floor has few interesting rooms, as the whole dungeon was designed to stall invaders with it's maze-like branching hallways, multiple empty rooms and dead ends. You do know that there must be stairs to the next Floor somewhere, but you don't exactly know where.

(Status: No longer Lost, Injured.)

>Find hammers and nails and drag them people wanting to barricade. As for myself, I'll find some way to get above the doorway so I can get down the back of one of the Chosen Ones to be a general pain in the rear end.

Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)

[3][2] Your head doesn't manage to do much by itself other than roll away from the chaos currently going on in the Storage Room, but your body at least manages to free itself after the Adder started to attack the Red Imp. Together, at last!

(You are now a Rat Zombie. Status: No longer Headless, No longer Bodyless, No longer Stuck.)

Dig a tunnel into the wall.

[2] Your claws aren't strong enough to pierce the mighty walls of the Final Dungeon. If you had a pick and were big enough to wield it, you could dig a tunnel into the wall. But you don't have one, and even if you had you wouldn't be able to use it. So you don't dig a tunnel.

Either way, you probably don't want to go inside that room right now. Even from your position, you can hear the sounds of fighting.

(No changes.)

loot the storage room.
Also defend myself if attacked.

[1] You turn around and start looting the storage, grabbing random tools and pieces of food. This leaves you open to attacks from enemies. The nearby box mimic takes this opportunity and critically hits you in your right leg, making you stumble and fall to the floor. You watch in horror as the small beast tears your whole leg off!

Of course, being a skeleton, this is just mildly bothersome. And of course, the thing then starts biting on your lost femur really hard. This is, surprisingly enough, very painful.

(Status: Missing Right Leg, Injured.)

Name: Jinglefoot, the Easily-spotted
Monster Class: Halfling
Monster Type: Barbarian
Inventory: 100 silver coins sewn into his tunic

Jinglefoot begins an angry chant as his blood pulses with frustration. "irked. irked. Irked and Jerked. I've been put-to WORK, and I will IRK, every OTH-er JERK. Irk, IRK, stab with a DIRK-" He starts stamping up the stairs to the second-level in rhythm to his angry chant, performing a little hop-jump every other step. "IRK-y, WORK-y, I eat JERK-Y. Your blood gets MURK-Y, if you eat JERK-Y. All PLAY and no WORK-Y, means that-I-am IRK-Y." Reaching the top, Jinglefoot stops chanting and breathes in three deep, angry, breaths. "If it's my job to guard the stairs"--the STERK-Y, his still-stamping brain suggests--"then I'll do it my way!"

Find a barrel on the 2nd level big enough to fit a halfling in and bring it back to the top of the stairs as quick as can be.

[3] You start going upstairs. It takes you quite some time, but after a while, you reach the entrance to the Second Floor. Hopefully, this was worth it.

What the hell, this place looks exactly the same as the First Floor. This discovery makes your rage increase, albeit only slightly. You also don't find any barrels nearby. You wonder if there are any on the Storage Room located in the First Floor.

(Floor: 2. Status: Irked > Annoyed.)

You know what happens when you step on a snake. Bite any fleshy parts of my oppressor I can reach if they don't get off of me. Then slither off to loot some food from the storage room.

[5] You bite the Red Imp, injecting your poison into it's veins. The poison is quick to take effect, and the pain causes the Imp to move enough to let you free. From your position, you notice a Skeleton trying to loot the food and falling to the ground after being attacked by a mimic. You take this opportunity to eat some of the food that fell to the ground, satiating your hunger.

(Status: No longer Stuck, Full)

He stood up, then noticed the brawl about to go down between the minions of the Storage Room, and screeched at the top of his lungs, "EVERYBODY SHADDAP!
"Dammit, monsters! We have more important things to concern ourselves with than killing each other! Namely, killing the Chosen Ones!
"We are monsters. We are born to die and are born again, to start it all over. But in the process, we are meant to cause as much misery and death to those stupid humans as possible.
"So that's what we're gonna goddamn do! We will get out of this closet, march on those damn fools, and GET OURSELVES KILLED KILLING THEM! And we will faintly remember this in our next lives, and we'll chuckle, because a rag-tag band of monsters took down an ancient Prophecy.
"After all, Prophecies are just promises.
"And promises are meant to be broken."

He looked down from his vantage point. At some point he had started flying, which was difficult given the massive pitchfork he carried, but nevertheless impressive.
TL;DR: GIVE SPEECH OF UNITY TO THE BEINGS OF THE STORAGE ROOM.

[1] You're about to start speaking when the snake you landed on decides to bite you. Unable to dodge due to being prone, you take the full strenght of the attack. Ack! The surprising pain also makes you to accidentaly let the snake free.

You feel sick. The Adder's bite was poisonous!

While most poisons tend to take effect after a while, you know that dungeon monsters tend to have quick poisons that cause direct damage over a certain amount of time, almost like a slow acid. You have two options to avoid death: To find some way to cure yourself from it, or to hope that it's effects end before the damage causes your death.

While poisons act quickly, they also kill slowly. Adder poison kills the slowest, so you have plenty time to take action.

(Status: Poisoned, Injured.)

Barricade the hall in front of the stairs with some random furniture.

[4] You see the Gnome Skeleton break into a nearby room and start destroying furniture for materials to build a barricade, so you decide to help him build one. Working together, you both manage to construct a sturdy wooden wall blocking the staircase room from the rest of the dungeon. The Skeleton seems to be gone, though.

(No changes.)

Name: Peanut Lightswirls
Monster Class: Fae
Monster Type: Pixie
Inventory: 1 Gold(her prized possession)

Peanut looks about the room, briefly considering her loss as to where exactly she is, then her attention snags onto the most interesting thing in the room...

Poke the bat((good 'ol lesser Fae attention spans))

"Hey, are you okay? Hey, hey!"

((She'll probably get the memo that she's supposed to be doing something the first time she dies, perhaps sooner.))

[4] You carefully move closer to the bat. You poke it. Then you poke it again. Then you poke it a bunch of times until it regains it's senses. Now that you are close, you can see that this bat has larger fangs than the rest in the room. It must be a Vampiric Bat.

(No changes.)

Name : Manfred
Class : vampire
Type : vampiric bat
Status : confused or shaken ( or something from slamming into the door)
Try to find some sort of prisoner held in dungeon to feed on

[3] You hit your head pretty hard, so you don't really manage to leave the room during this turn. When your mind clears, however, you notice a small Fae monster poking your head. Maybe a Fairy? You're not really sure.

(Status: No longer Confused.)

Lying outside the Final Dungeon, there is what appears to be an airship that just crash landed. From the wreckage, four humanoid figures emerge. The first figure seems to be some kind of ranger or thief, and appears to be trying to remove the dust from it's clothes. A piece of cloth covers his nose, ears and mouth, as if it was trying to hide his identity.

"Whose was the bright idea to let that brute drive the ship again? Please remind me."

Next, a woman wearing a large cloak and robes slowly stands up with help from her staff. Despite the destruction around her, her white robes were immaculate. Not even a single scratch.

"P-please, don't be too harsh to him... He's trying his best, you know..."

From behind, a shadowy figure emerges. Clearly a wizard, because of it's long blue robes and large, pointy hat that covers it's entire face in shadows. It spoke in a monotone tone, and the massive amounts of raw magical energy could be felt by anyone capable of sensing magic.

"We're finally here. About time."

Lastly, a huge man wearing full plate armor jumps from below the debris, the earth shaking with every step it made. It was carrying a huge greatsword (which was clearly intended to be wielded with two hands) as if it was a straight sword.

"Wow! The Final Dungeon! Haha! And they said that crossing the Shadowlands was impossible!"

"Well, it was and still is. If you try to cross it by foot like a complete moron."

"Hey, it doesn't hurt to try, does it? Hahaha!"

"It took you a MONTH to recover from it!"

"...I'm sorry. My healing wasn't very strong during that time..."

"Stop. This is a meaningless waste of time. Let's get this over with already."

"He's right, you know."

The party then starts moving towards the entrance, preparing for the inevitable clash with the Final Dungeon's guardians.

"Alright, alright! So, we just have to kill everyone and recover the Crystal, right?"

"Y-yes! That's what the prophecy says, at least... If we don't, the world as we know it... Will be changed forever..."

"Don't forget about the Evil Overlord, too. He's definitely going to be guarding it, along with those mindless beasts."

"How do we get in, though?"

The magician simply moves in front of the door, touching it with his finger and utters a single word.

"Ignis."

Everyone at the entrance can see the doors sealing the Final Dungeon suddenly exploding, and a massive fireball burns those close enough into cinders.

[2] The goblins are immediately destroyed by the blast, only leaving their burnt equipment behind.
[4] The Goblin Captain miraculously manages to dodge it, though, and survives. But without his army, he won't last long.
[1] Who? ERGLAGVER? I don't think anyone named like that has ever existed before. You said it was burned by the fireball? Seems like it didn't even leave ashes behind. Poor cat, if there really was one there.
[2] The extreme heat causes the slimes to die and turn into a puddle of boiling liquids.
[-] Slick survives due to being in cover, and isn't even noticed by the enemy. You're covered in colored slime remains, but at least you are alive.
[-] Nix also is lucky enough to be out of range, and also gets to see his allies die in front of him.

The whole entrance is now on magical fire, and those that survived can clearly see the culprits of the massacre: The Chosen Ones.

Pickle and the First Floor Regiment arrive just in time for the confrontation. The battle has begun!

Quote from: HP
KNIGHT: 10000
ROGUE:  10000
CLERIC: 10000
WIZARD: 10000

Spoiler: Egan_BW (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:11:00 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2019, 05:19:54 pm »

Make noise! Then bite whoever frees me to death!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:24:27 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2019, 05:25:34 pm »

Continue mauling the skeleton! tear all it’s limbs off and chew it’s skull into a powder!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2019, 05:33:17 pm »

((Forgot to include Egan_BW's death at the end of the turn. Edited. This was quite a long turn, so please notify me if I forgot anything else or if I need to explain something.))
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Hotfire90

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2019, 05:33:57 pm »

To the second floor! Find more construction material and build a barricade to block off the stairs to the first floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Rush
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »

If the narrator cannot comprehend the form of a [kitten], then surely the heroes stand no chance of understanding.
ERGLAGVER settles down on the wizard's shoulder for now. [Purring] sweet [kitten noises] into its poor underdeveloped [non-kitten brain].

Name: ERGLAGVER
Monster Class: [kitten]
Monster Type: black [kitten]
Inventory: Empty

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2019, 05:59:54 pm »

((Oh, I see what's happening.
GM, Egan is doing a thing where he replaces Eldrich nonsense that no man can find words for with [kittens]. If he meant kittens he'd say kittens, but he means [kittens].

And Egan, you died and need to respawn - I personally recommend Schrödinger's Path for you.))
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2019, 06:01:46 pm »

Attack the mimic recover my leg.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2019, 06:02:21 pm »

He didn't say that I died, so I didn't. The narrator cannot kill what he cannot see. If anything was reduced to ash by that fireball, it was apparently a cat, so could not possibly have been me.

And aw, there's no fun to these things when you just go and say them. I wanted to see how he would react to my nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:03:58 pm by Egan_BW »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2019, 06:04:51 pm »

((Well, that's who I am, Fun-Killer 2000, fully operational... [Goes to bash head in with large pitchfork]
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Rush
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2019, 06:06:47 pm »

He didn't say that I died, so I didn't. The narrator cannot kill what he cannot see.

And aw, there's no fun to these things when you just go and say them. I wanted to see how he would react to my nonsense.

((You died. You were vaporized by a giant fireball, the one that killed the goblin group and the slimes. It's at the end of the turn. I happen to be the narrator, so I get to decide how to interpret things. You do get to decide your evolutionary path, though.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2019, 07:03:00 pm »

(Sadly, [kitten] where RGU doesn't know what a [kitten] is is forever gone.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:15:02 pm by Devastator »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »

Find somewhere to hide and lie in wait for the adventurers.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2019, 08:00:49 pm »

Absorb some of the darkness to heal myself, then  start floating down the halls, darkening them as I go. Along the way, try to remember: Who was I?

Spoiler: Ves (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:47:17 pm by WyrdByrd »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11