Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 131006 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.61
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2020, 04:09:27 pm »

Hi! I was wondering if you have any plans to add in dfhack or quality of life improvement's in the near future for this mod. I've spent 16 hours myself fiddling around and seeing what works with dfhack being the most fussy thing to get working with the mod XD. Truly love the concept and back story of your mod and hope to see it grow. Maybe even some meph tile set love for eye candy. <3

Unfortunately I'm neither a coder or an artist, so I can't provide compatibility with DFhack or a tileset with my current skillset. If someone wishes to make a compatibility patch for DFhack they are welcome to do so, but as things stand I have as good a chance of making it work as you do.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2020, 09:08:14 pm »

Honestly thus far I haven't encountered anything that'd really benefit from it anyway, short of being able to build your own combat robots/transport craft and exo-armor providing protection against airborne hazards or something.

I mean *maybe* you could also use it to add grenades and rocket launchers, but as it stands while I haven't fought civilized people yet (nobody wants to come and play with my settlers, :( ) stuff like that'd be horrendous levels of overkill anyway against everything else.

EDIT: Not to say it couldn't benefit from it, but that all being said it'll be easier to update and work with without a DFhack dependence since that breaks every game update.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2020, 09:28:06 pm »

After brain storming I found out that the dfhack file I was trying to use was not up to date until today! Dfhack was just recently updated to the mods current version making it work normally now. Ill be looking into adding in quality of life changes like mouse controls for workshops. Ive gotten use to just clicking on a workshop and putting in build orders so when I came to this mod I was dumb founded until I learn the Q key. And Im a complete monkey when it comes to messing with files (Basically throw and smash files together until something works)

Update: Learned just having DFhack comes with all the quality of life changes such as clicking on workshops and entity's :D
Now to see if I can make TWBT to work or other tile sets. Basically slapped dfhack in, let it overwrite, and edited the dfhack.init-example into just dfhack.int to remove the error warning when launching the mod. (I could post the file but I rather have permission from the mod creator himself, or he can post this quality of life version himself if he likes too) Wish me luck on my file smacking.

Update: Just got TWBT working, seems to work with a test tile set making it possible to change out tilesets by using only the data portions and leaving out the raw files that has crashed multiple embarkments.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:52:08 pm by Striderdarnell »

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:36 pm »

I think I have the Wiki nearly finished. It needs a few more descriptive paragraphs here and there but I'll get to it when I can. It has pages on creatures, plants, materials, weapons, armors, and civilization summaries. If anyone thinks of anything else that'd be helpful, let me know or feel free to throw it up there yourself.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:The_Long_Night

Several more questions about potential issues:
  • Aluminum is very expensive in the main game as it is only available via its naturally pure form. After the advent of electrolytic purification processes it became one of the cheapest and most widely available metals. To have it still be as valuable as platinum seems a little silly. It ought to be very common and very cheap. Maybe used for furniture and such. It's already pretty common in the ore yields, so the value is probably all that needs to change.
  • If I'm reading the utility worm raws correctly, the miliking coefficient on algae and protein worms was raised to 200,000 and the lactose one remains at the standard 20,000. I don't know if this was what was intended because this means, with 1200 ticks to a day, that while the lactose worms can be milked every 17 days, the other two can only be milked every 167 days. This would explain my difficulties with trying to milk my algae worm on my last embark. This doesn't seem like a good deal for a grazer that requires approximately 133 tiles of pasture. Or very realistic for a worm bigger than an elephant that is bio-engineered to maximize output. I feel like they should refresh their milk store faster than regular animals. Maybe 12,000 (every 10 days) would be more appropriate?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:17:29 pm by deusvult6 »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2020, 05:42:03 pm »

I think I have the Wiki nearly finished. It needs a few more descriptive paragraphs here and there but I'll get to it when I can. It has pages on creatures, plants, materials, weapons, armors, and civilization summaries. If anyone thinks of anything else that'd be helpful, let me know or feel free to throw it up there yourself.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:The_Long_Night

Several more questions about potential issues:
  • Aluminum is very expensive in the main game as it is only available via its naturally pure form. After the advent of electrolytic purification processes it became one of the cheapest and most widely available metals. To have it still be as valuable as platinum seems a little silly. It ought to be very common and very cheap. Maybe used for furniture and such. It's already pretty common in the ore yields, so the value is probably all that needs to change.
  • If I'm reading the utility worm raws correctly, the miliking coefficient on algae and protein worms was raised to 200,000 and the lactose one remains at the standard 20,000. I don't know if this was what was intended because this means, with 1200 ticks to a day, that while the lactose worms can be milked every 17 days, the other two can only be milked every 167 days. This would explain my difficulties with trying to milk my algae worm on my last embark. This doesn't seem like a good deal for a grazer that requires approximately 133 tiles of pasture. Or very realistic for a worm bigger than an elephant that is bio-engineered to maximize output. I feel like they should refresh their milk store faster than regular animals. Maybe 12,000 (every 10 days) would be more appropriate?

I don't know how that happened so I'll be resolving it next update.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2020, 01:11:45 am »

Quick Questions:

What does the portable refinery, synthesizers, 3d printers, and deconstructor do? Or are they for decoration. (which I dont mind having a cluster of neo-humans just chilling around waiting for their 3d print to be done lol)

What is the size unit of a 200,000u compared in real life? Or what is a measurement of 1u compared to, inches or feet?

How do rockets work? Do you need a gun or do they throw it?

Finally how does one get to exo-suits, or are they tide to certain factions as well? (Played alot of Neo-humans and Nobles)

Just What My Fortress has been up too:
Been playing as neo-humans inspired by the ancient-ancient history of the Roman empire. Been breeding my caeser class anti-personal-vehicle army ready to defend a mega underground city for 3 nights now, and have to say I'm completely sucked into your lore of The Long Night. Breaking into production of lightly armored squad of coil rifle gunners before having some bio-frames and machines accompany them on an assault against the Yakasah fortress of Walkwhips.  ;D

My Fortress so far:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7BgFsoBkrzfrjyCf6

My Head Cannon of what a female Dominance-22 exo-suit looks like on my militia commander *armed with a edge shiv*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:30:40 am by Striderdarnell »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2020, 02:27:53 am »

Quick Questions:

What does the portable refinery, synthesizers, 3d printers, and deconstructor do? Or are they for decoration. (which I dont mind having a cluster of neo-humans just chilling around waiting for their 3d print to be done lol)

What is the size unit of a 200,000u compared in real life? Or what is a measurement of 1u compared to, inches or feet?

Finally how does one get to exo-suits, or are they tide to certain factions as well? (Played alot of Neo-humans and Nobles)

Been playing as neo-humans inspired by the ancient-ancient history of the Roman empire. Been breeding my caeser class anti-personal-vehicle army ready to defend a mega underground city for 3 nights now, and have to say I'm completely sucked into your lore of The Long Night. Breaking into production of lightly armored squad of coil rifle gunners before having some bio-frames and machines accompany them on an assault against the Yakasah fortress of Walkwhips.  ;D

My Fortress so far:

My Head Cannon of what a female Dominance-22 exo-suit looks like on my militia commander *armed with a edge shiv*

portable refinery, synthesizers, 3d printers, and deconstructor are for adventure mode crafting. I let civs make them on their own so it would be easier for players to get them

a human is 70,000u, for example

Rockets need cannon-type weaponry

Certain exosuits are tied to certain factions, yes

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2020, 02:53:43 am »

While probably woefully inaccurate, I got more of an impression that the exo-armors were more akin to the Power Armor seen in the newer Fallouts; that is to say, sealed (more or less anyway, depending on the make and model,) tanky and heavy looking. As befits armor intended for troops carrying stuff like shotguns and combat axes into battle against guys with coilguns and such.

They're just operating on a proprietary frame system instead of a universal one, with the fancier, slimmer ones being akin to what the GDI wears in Tiberian Sun, just with an obvious exoskeleton and a little more bulk to it to reflect that nature. Stuff like the M-Grace and other "standard" armors, in the modern, ranged weapon dominated battlefield sense, basically.

After all, these suits are meant to protect their wearers from the elements as much as from gunfire and blades going by what's written.

I ain't gonna lie, there was some part of me that wished it had the will and drive to make a total conversion for Fallout 4 based on this mod, since there's plenty of power armor mods plus what the base game gives to represent some of the major brands.

Not to knock the art though, whether you drew it yourself or not. Good stuff.

I should probably get back to my own settlement, take pictures and the like. Mine's above ground, though while open to the outside, the general residences are partially built underground due to an aquifer making going past a layer of plastic garbage an annoying hassle. Haven't gotten to see the ranged weapons in action much either because nobody wants to come and play with my soldiers, but the melee weapons have been plenty devastating, which is good. Even managed to bring down an Autonomous Dragon Gunship!

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2020, 06:42:08 am »

While probably woefully inaccurate, I got more of an impression that the exo-armors were more akin to the Power Armor seen in the newer Fallouts; that is to say, sealed (more or less anyway, depending on the make and model,) tanky and heavy looking. As befits armor intended for troops carrying stuff like shotguns and combat axes into battle against guys with coilguns and such.

They're just operating on a proprietary frame system instead of a universal one, with the fancier, slimmer ones being akin to what the GDI wears in Tiberian Sun, just with an obvious exoskeleton and a little more bulk to it to reflect that nature. Stuff like the M-Grace and other "standard" armors, in the modern, ranged weapon dominated battlefield sense, basically.

After all, these suits are meant to protect their wearers from the elements as much as from gunfire and blades going by what's written.

I ain't gonna lie, there was some part of me that wished it had the will and drive to make a total conversion for Fallout 4 based on this mod, since there's plenty of power armor mods plus what the base game gives to represent some of the major brands.

Not to knock the art though, whether you drew it yourself or not. Good stuff.

I should probably get back to my own settlement, take pictures and the like. Mine's above ground, though while open to the outside, the general residences are partially built underground due to an aquifer making going past a layer of plastic garbage an annoying hassle. Haven't gotten to see the ranged weapons in action much either because nobody wants to come and play with my soldiers, but the melee weapons have been plenty devastating, which is good. Even managed to bring down an Autonomous Dragon Gunship!

Totally agree, I imagine alot of the exo-armor to be more bulky or lighter, just depends on what the description I get from them. Also your boys taking down a dragon gunship would be amazing to see in art form. Did they go at it melee style or did you have some ranged weapons to shoot it down? Also would love to see your settlement here :D. I lost my first squad tonight to a bad demand for tribute from one of the bird people settlments so now I'm arming a novo-5 heavy armored squad with bio-frames and anti-personnel and anti-armor machines to back up them up when they head out with ancient nano swords and coil-pistols in my attempt for revenge.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2020, 06:53:23 am »

Quick Questions:

My Fortress so far:

portable refinery, synthesizers, 3d printers, and deconstructor are for adventure mode crafting. I let civs make them on their own so it would be easier for players to get them

a human is 70,000u, for example

Rockets need cannon-type weaponry

Certain exosuits are tied to certain factions, yes

Thank you for your reply, short and sweet and straight to the point <3  ;) good luck on your projects

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2020, 07:04:33 am »

I believe units are roughly grams - cubic centimeters of water. It doesn't work out because most creatures are made of denser stuff than water, but it gives you a rough idea. Humans are roughly 70kg - which makes sense. Dwarves are 60kg, which gives you an idea of their height/weight ratio compared to humans (as wide or slightly wider, and somewhere around 20% shorter or more.)

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2020, 07:41:41 am »

I believe units are roughly grams - cubic centimeters of water. It doesn't work out because most creatures are made of denser stuff than water, but it gives you a rough idea. Humans are roughly 70kg - which makes sense. Dwarves are 60kg, which gives you an idea of their height/weight ratio compared to humans (as wide or slightly wider, and somewhere around 20% shorter or more.)
So what would bio-machines be in water  :-\ I just wanna know what 7,000,000u be in feet xD. Ive just chucked it up to guess work at this point.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:54 am »

Yeah, it's guess-work. Some of it doesn't make a ton of sense. It is a measurement of volume, though - so it is cubic centimeters, I guess.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2020, 02:41:08 pm »

Wrt size, it is cubic centimeters which is important because I believe the game calculates the mass by using the density of the tissue. So in this mod where many critters have layers made of various nanotechnes, which range from as dense as nickel (grade-A) to aluminum (grade-S), you can get critters much heavier than organics of the same size. I think that is only important for blunt damage calculations or things like shoving in a wrestling match but you will need to be careful if you plan to cage them as they then have to be carried.

For some real life comparisons:
  • A wolf is about 0.04 m2 (40 kg) or 40,000 u
  • A polar bear is about 0.45 m2 or 450,000 u
  • A cow is about 0.5 m2 or 500,000 u
  • A hippo is about 1.5 m2 or 1,500,000 u
  • An elephant is about 5 m2 or 5,000,000 u
  • A humpback whale is about 30 m2 or 30,000,000 u
  • A blue whale is about 100 m2 or 100,000,000 u

So it looks like a lot of these bioframes fall between hippo- and elephant-sized with the biggest ones topping even that (about the size of a cow riding a hippo riding an elephant). Meanwhile the ADW classes range from elephant- to humpback whale-sized. With plasma-cannon turrets.

Don't forget that there is now a wiki set up for this mod where you can go for all sorts of quick answers. Like playing the base game, I keep it on in the background at all times. If you see anything wrong that needs updating, throw it up there. I know the materials page and animal butchering column on creatures in particular need some love as there's a lot that isn't self-explanatory in the raws.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:The_Long_Night:_Creatures
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:26:09 pm by deusvult6 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »

Totally agree, I imagine alot of the exo-armor to be more bulky or lighter, just depends on what the description I get from them. Also your boys taking down a dragon gunship would be amazing to see in art form. Did they go at it melee style or did you have some ranged weapons to shoot it down? Also would love to see your settlement here :D. I lost my first squad tonight to a bad demand for tribute from one of the bird people settlments so now I'm arming a nova-5 heavy armored squad with bio-frames and anti-personnel and anti-armor machines to back up them up when they head out with ancient nano swords and coil-pistols in my attempt for revenge.

The helmet from that Redshift one in particular actually made me think of this mod. :P

And took it down in melee! Six of the 8 guys in the unit at the time swarmed it while it was attacking a ganesha I had chained by the north gate. Only ranged contribution was one of my whopping three railgunners at the time taking a potshot while she ran away from the thing.

Most of them are using K2 Magnifigue armor with y-visored helmets, apart from the militia commander who is packing a suit of Starner-V armor, with thier gear varying pretty wildly with several swords, axes, shivs, and a pile bunker.  Basically ended up taking a typical fantasy engagement (knights vs dragon,) but making it IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE (for practical purposes.)

The rangers are all using Valiant-14s with the squad leaders using Valiant-16s (I like to imagine the only practical difference between them is down to better communication and tactical software and some minor aesthetic tweaks,) with one team currently comprised of 5 railgunners and another of 3 chemgunners packing shotguns. Their helmets are more varied, with several three-eyed models, an x-visor, and a couple four-eyed variants.

My dudes are all standard humans instead of any uplifts, off-worlders, or upper class mucky-mucks, in particular of the I guess "Republic" flavor, as opposed to the Communes or Corporatists. Was sheer coincidence.

Two things have sort of stuck out to me though. Well, three, but one is more of a minor nitpick than anything.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25