Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost Horizons...  (Read 917 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lost Horizons...
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:35:08 pm »

Watching the old black & white Lost Horizons and it hit me.  Is it possible to find a valley in the middle of the mountains that could support a Fortress completely cut off from the outside world?  My current fortress is on a island and only receives caravans from their civilization, somehow, and one werebeast.

Is a Lost Horizon possible?  Or would one have to hack the game in some way? 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Horizons...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:43:38 pm »

I know you can play dwarves from a dead society (all dwarves in the world are dead, your 7 are created from nothingness, I guess).

I'm just not sure what you'd have to do to prevent that first migrant wave, and if a caravan also shows up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:10:31 pm »

I presume setting up a Fortress with no unflooded land tiles on the map edge at all all would do the trick, so a small island Fortress

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 03:50:21 pm »

When you generate a world, watch for volcanoes spawning on the ocean. They often create a mini island around them where you could settle. I've yet to make a fort in such location. But that should do the trick for your lost horizon, and also get you easy magma!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »

You can definitely create a PSV world where you create a location completely surrounded by mountains in which to start. Since you want to be completely cut off from the outside the failure of dead civs to perform raids (they never reach their destination, nor return) doesn't matter.
Note, however, that dead civs are bugged in that they usually end up "struggling" (caravan, unlimited migrant waves, monarch), although it's possible to increase the death chances with a script run before and during worldgen http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165084.msg7526484#msg7526484.
You can block out the two fixed migrant waves by setting your pop cap to 7 (or lower).

As indicated, truly dead civs don't get any dwarven caravans or a monarch, and no migrants beyond the first two waves.

Dwarven caravans and migrants can find you regardless of whether you ought to be cut off from the world, and I believe I've received visitors from my civ located on a different continent (obviously, that civ wasn't dead).

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:15:37 pm »

A dead civilization isn't really necessary. You can prevent caravans/diplomats from your home civilization by removing the "[ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]" token from dwarves. You can prevent immigration by setting the population cap lower than your current population. Similarly, you can prevent visitors with the visitor cap. You might still have one of your dwarves appointed monarch, but that doesn't really seem inconsistent with the premise.

A word of advice: bring everything you'll *ever* need at embark--an anvil, all seeds you'll ever want to plant, and two breeding pair of any important animals (like cats and wool-bearers), etc.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 01:59:07 pm »

DFhack hermit

Blocks all caravans, migrants, diplomats, and forgotten beasts (not wildlife).