Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Option for pre-existing injury at character creation Adventure Mode  (Read 1616 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile

With the talk of more options for customizing your adventures, from starting equipment to mounts, I'd like to (for rp purposes) have the option to create characters in Adventure Mode with specific injuries.

Injuries such as, but not limited to:
missing/maimed limbs (hands, feet, arms, legs)
missing/maimed digits (fingers, thumbs, toes)
missing/maimed facial features (eyes, ears, nose, teeth, lips, cheeks)
scars (including burns, welts, brands)

You could play someone missing an eye who wears a patch. You could add a facial scar for flavour. You could lose a hand or a lower leg for your pirate. All the stereotypical things you might want to do and any original ideas, too. Possibly in the future you could have the game understand how you want this injury to have occurred.

Better utility for this would wait until implementation of prosthetics (lack of hand is more fun if you can wear a hook, for example). Also, when diseases are fleshed out I'd like the option to specify which your character has at creation, if any. Internal organ injury could also get a look in. Wheezy lung from a survived arrow? Bad headaches from a concussion suffered at the melee at the local nobles joust?

There could be an argument made that injuries and the history they encompass are things your character should collect as you actually play the game, but as we are not always (if ever) going to be playing a baby from birth it's not an argument I'd make.

I've specified Adventure Mode to avoid the question of the scope of customization options for Fort Mode starting dwarves.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Option for pre-existing injury at character creation Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:03:54 am »

Perhaps we could get extra skill-points for the more crippling injuries?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:21 pm »

Perhaps we could get extra skill-points for the more crippling injuries?
Seems kind of game-y. Why does losing a limb make you better at something else?

The benefit of prosthetics is that they don't bleed. Plus, if you find a magic eyeball, it saves you the trouble of gouging out your eye to wear it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:20:19 am »

^

Yeah, I was thinking exactly this. There was a similar joke about GURPS, a game system that has optional disadvantages that give back 'points'. And I can totally see someone play adventurer mode as a figure without arms and legs, and put all the resulting points into biter and then go on a crawl-biting slaughter of the world.

And all DG wants to do is be peg-leg pete.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 04:23:25 am »

Do a Loud Whispers.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 07:16:50 am »

^

Yeah, I was thinking exactly this. There was a similar joke about GURPS, a game system that has optional disadvantages that give back 'points'. And I can totally see someone play adventurer mode as a figure without arms and legs, and put all the resulting points into biter and then go on a crawl-biting slaughter of the world.

And all DG wants to do is be peg-leg pete.

Or we could, once the adventurer mode is flshed out, have a disabled character who, unable to fight, put himself to scholarship, artwork or trade and travels around the world.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:58:48 am »

Those can be made without getting extra skillpoints from dissabilities? Because that was what I was commenting on, people making such characters because that could give them extra points to put into a different skill?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 07:03:14 am »

Seems kind of game-y. Why does losing a limb make you better at something else?

The benefit of prosthetics is that they don't bleed. Plus, if you find a magic eyeball, it saves you the trouble of gouging out your eye to wear it.

The whole skill point system is gamey.  The simple answer is that losing a limb could imply your character has been going about doing more stuff before you played them. 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 07:10:52 am »

okay. since nobody has yet said it:

Go and create a caste of [whatever] you want to play.  Then remove whatever you do not want.  Set the frequency of this caste to zero. Then set its attributes and default skills to whatever.  You can make its skin copper.  You can give it 5000 agility.  You can give it spears for hands. You can go find smeeprocket's mod and make it genderfluid.  Whatever.

Then gen a new world and play.  But I dont see Toady making a custom injury selection screen so that we can game a simulation.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 01:50:50 am »

The whole skill point system is gamey.  The simple answer is that losing a limb could imply your character has been going about doing more stuff before you played them.
The points represent time and effort invested. Your answer doesn't explain non-combat skills.

A bard gains skill by practicing their craft. Whether they were or weren't unlucky enough to be attacked on the road has no bearing on it. Likewise, a warrior that lost their hands in battle doesn't get to channel that experience into musical talent.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:55:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:16 am »

The points represent time and effort invested. Your answer doesn't explain non-combat skills.

A bard gains skill by practicing their craft. Whether they were or weren't unlucky enough to be attacked on the road has no bearing on it. Likewise, a warrior that lost their hands in battle doesn't get to channel that experience into musical talent.

It is a question of how much time they have spent doing adventure mode stuff in general.  Really injuries should be random and determined by the skills you select+age, the older you are the more likely you are to have injuries and the also the more violent the skills you selected the greater your chance of injuries should be.  Also the older you are, the more skill points you would have as well. 

It does not directly follow that a person with more injuries would have more skills, but it follows probalistically; if I pick a dwarf with an injury then they are more likely to be older and have more skills, particularly violent ones.  Except that we are not using a probalistic system but are magically creating people according to gamey limitations.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 09:46:21 am »

Age was never mentioned in DG's proposal, and I find a little hard to imagine that having a limb chopped off will make a person better at talking. The preexisting points system is there to avoid people making totally overpowered characters.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 09:50:46 am »

Age was never mentioned in DG's proposal, and I find a little hard to imagine that having a limb chopped off will make a person better at talking. The preexisting points system is there to avoid people making totally overpowered characters.

And?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:42 am »

We thank you for your suggestion.  It will be taken into account.
PKs DF Mod!