Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HSF Testrun  (Read 2155 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
HSF Testrun
« on: November 22, 2018, 08:32:09 am »

With the world now happily simulating in the background i've been wondering a little...

Has anyone yet attempted to 'open the clownfort', subsequently loose the own fort and keep the world generating to see how the new 'intruders' affect the world if any?

I am about to do that but i still keep wondering.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HSF Testrun
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 03:42:15 pm »

Oh, please do! and tell us about it :)

I seem to recall another thread about this, but it may have been before all of this post-wg stuff.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 03:46:54 pm »

Please, do post the results here!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 04:34:51 pm »

Fort is founded on a mountainous plains and running rather healthily. plently of metals and sand in reach. First year not over yet.
All neighbours are thus far 'avaible'.
Decided to pick some rodents as pets beside the usual dog/cat/poultry combo. To my dismay i noticed mice are not avaible ingame. Settled with cavies instead just as a little side experiment.
Someone need to nag Toady on occation. I like mice. :P
Might mod them in myself using the cave piggies above as template...

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 08:48:48 am »

With the world now happily simulating in the background i've been wondering a little...

Has anyone yet attempted to 'open the clownfort', subsequently loose the own fort and keep the world generating to see how the new 'intruders' affect the world if any?

I am about to do that but i still keep wondering.

Great idea, but I don't see why your dwarves should die for the sake of !!SCIENCE!!. Just seal the fortress off, leave a way to the surface for clowns, and let them watch the world burn. Dorf lives matter.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:44:47 pm »

hidden stuff fun

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 09:23:00 pm »

If someone has the patience to test running more years of world , i have made this saved game that is ready for doing the HSF experiment :
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14129
instructions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit : oops some slight change of direction
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:06:21 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:57:49 pm »

Experimented and disapointed :

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:18:19 am »

Back in 42.x I did something like that on accident: after retiring a fortress that breached HFS at one point it turned out that one FB spawned in HFS instead of 3rd cavern layer (bug?) and the lucky clown that got the kill got named. It then proceeded to do absolutely nothing - just running around in circles around the fortress in a manner similar to e.g. kea men that escaped with stolen stuff. I bumped into the clown accidentally as an adventurer. Funny thing: the area the clown wanders smells of sulfur in a manner in which area near a night troll smells of death.

New test case if you want: find some of those named clowns you've got there as a vampire (or other not tiring) adventurer and let them chase you to the nearest fort/town. Due to the slaughter that later will surely ensue, the clown(s) should become enemy of some civs. This might trigger some interesting events later on in the postgen.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:25:14 am by blister_pack »

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 04:19:32 am »

[sorry, misclick]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:21:34 am by blister_pack »

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 07:30:57 am »

Very disapointing but with how few actually happen during current version of the activated world it's unfortunately not unexpected.
I wish you could run the actual worldgen to get years moving faster between settling 2 fortress instead of leaving it up to the world activation thing in which nothing interesting really happen in only 4 years of extremely boring fortress waiting.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that nothing interesting at all happens in activated world. Recently I sent a squad of legendaries to retake the fortress of Crystalhail (awesome name) from elves. They did, and after that I had VERY eventful 5 years happening in the background.  My legendaries successfully defended Crystalhail several times and then each of them went on adventures of their own, fighting (and sometimes conquering) other elven and goblin sites. I loved watching this war unfold. Crystalhail fell to the elves eventually yet again. Some of my dwarves returned to my fortress years later, covered in scars and with huge kill-lists. Some of them died, and their named weapons are now saught after by many treasure-collectors around the world. 

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 07:39:08 am »

Ha i am getting old, someone was faster than me :P Gonna do my own run on that still to see if the result is the same.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 07:53:08 am »

Very disapointing but with how few actually happen during current version of the activated world it's unfortunately not unexpected.
I wish you could run the actual worldgen to get years moving faster between settling 2 fortress instead of leaving it up to the world activation thing in which nothing interesting really happen in only 4 years of extremely boring fortress waiting.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that nothing interesting at all happens in activated world. Recently I sent a squad of legendaries to retake the fortress of Crystalhail (awesome name) from elves. They did, and after that I had VERY eventful 5 years happening in the background.  My legendaries successfully defended Crystalhail several times and then each of them went on adventures of their own, fighting (and sometimes conquering) other elven and goblin sites. I loved watching this war unfold. Crystalhail fell to the elves eventually yet again. Some of my dwarves returned to my fortress years later, covered in scars and with huge kill-lists. Some of them died, and their named weapons are now saught after by many treasure-collectors around the world.

That indeed sounds amazing !
I wish the same could happen to my worlds, the only guess i can make is that probably having hammered the gobs so hard during my main fort long lifespan does not help as if they're out of actual military with only civilians left it may explain why nothing happens anymore in those kind of time span.

Hopefully Toady will give us a way to move time a lot more forward like it happens during the original worldgen, as it takes hours to move through only a few years in fortress mode at 100fps (as i optimised my time-waiting forts to keep fps there) and doing so is making the game incredibly more boring.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 08:08:47 am »

That indeed sounds amazing !
I wish the same could happen to my worlds, the only guess i can make is that probably having hammered the gobs so hard during my main fort long lifespan does not help as if they're out of actual military with only civilians left it may explain why nothing happens anymore in those kind of time span.

Well, I tend to play in worlds dotted with goblin fortresses, where elves are expansive and genocidal and dwarves are usually extinct. The fact that I give goblins high natural skills and steel (not sure if blasphemy) doesn't help dwarven survival either. Just seems more fun.
Pages: [1] 2