Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ethical vs. Practical  (Read 3895 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Ethical vs. Practical
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 05:36:27 pm »

Is it ethical to put a tantruming dwarf (who I can't expel, since his wife is a legendary spearmaster and my militia commander) in a cage and lock the door until he dies of hunger and thirst? My dwarves need protection, so I think that needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
No, it's not ethical. It is utilitarian (and a logic that has been used to defend atrocities committed in the name of the betterment of mankind or whatnot).
Utilitarianism is an ethos.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 08:13:34 pm »

Humanity is pathos.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 12:12:32 pm »

Yeah, well, they'll still find something to bitch about. Like being away from their imaginary friends. Or not having a surplus amount of giant blind flying platypus' minced balls in the kitchen.

He is depressed after not being able to create anything for a long time.

(under breath) Well you just created a legendary mess by knocking over all of the statues during a tantrum, so you've got that going for you, Urist...

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »

Question: If about 20-30 dwarves are regularly tantruming (the fortress still hasn't gotten over the stress after Toady revamped emotion over the summer) and most of the rest are depressed or oblivious, is it practical to try and expel all of them besides like the 1-2 legendary soldiers? Trying to stick them in a jail nicer than the old royal throne room isn't working because after 4 years they're still getting horrified by the coati corpse in the dining room they were supposed to dump 7-8 years ago.

Related: is it practical to use an atom-smasher/catapult combo on excess animals/pets when most of the dwarves are already really stressed?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.
Pages: 1 2 [3]