Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ethical vs. Practical  (Read 3893 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Ethical vs. Practical
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 08:18:41 am »

If he's not insane yet just lock him in the room with food and drinks for a while instead of letting him starve.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 08:24:11 am »

Is it ethical to put a tantruming dwarf (who I can't expel, since his wife is a legendary spearmaster and my militia commander) in a cage and lock the door until he dies of hunger and thirst? My dwarves need protection, so I think that needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Keeping him there until he calms down would be ethical, but until he dies of thirst is a bit much as you're yet to exhaust all other options

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 08:29:59 am »

If he's not insane yet just lock him in the room with food and drinks for a while instead of letting him starve.

As long as stress system doesn't allow some dwarves to get back to normal levels of stress, I say let him rot. He'll just be back to his table-toppling dwarf-kiling shennanigans as soon as we open the door to bring him food.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 08:48:50 am »

As long as stress system doesn't allow some dwarves to get back to normal levels of stress, I say let him rot. He'll just be back to his table-toppling dwarf-kiling shennanigans as soon as we open the door to bring him food.

It's unethical, given than there are known systems for delivering foods and alcohol to closed dwarves (for example thrown from level above, or with air-lock). If I had such hard cases I would built such asylum, but somehow most of my dwarves are OK, and the tantrumers are quite gentle, even when armed with masterwork steel battle axe.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 08:58:18 am »

Alternative. Let him work for the survival of his kind. (drop him with some surplus military equipment into the caverns to roam) Still a bit fishy ethically but then he's at least not 'wasted' uselessly.
Tho there is a bit of a challange ine xperimenting with asylums. You'd be able to do things like giving him playmates(caged stripped goblins) on occation.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:59:58 am by Astrid »

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 09:06:23 am »

Hey, that's some nice suggestions. Urist McIdiot now sees killing stressed dwarves as unethical (a turnaround after polite discussion on a forum).

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 09:50:20 am »

What you can do is to lock him in a cage and have caregivers help him with food and water ? In a fort big enough that doesn't take a big toll on your production. Think of that as a kind of ward? That dude is insane and need help ; and then you provide help. Ethical as it gets

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 10:22:31 am »

The only DF beings worth not treating like utter dirt are cats.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 11:00:51 am »

I've always treated dirt as one of the most valuable things in a Fortress, from it all crops grow

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 11:39:25 am »

My economy is actually based on the dirt-standard and this is why my banking system is so robust.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 12:27:28 pm »

I indeed have a deep love for DF cats.
As a collective.
Two cats? I'll protect them with all the military might of the kingdom.
90 cats? That werearmadillo can use them as ammunition.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »

Is it ethical to put a tantruming dwarf (who I can't expel, since his wife is a legendary spearmaster and my militia commander) in a cage and lock the door until he dies of hunger and thirst? My dwarves need protection, so I think that needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Check his beliefs and thoughts. Most dwarfs value craftsmanship, military prowess, those that master a skill, etc. If he hasn't been able to craft for too long and he values the betterment of skills, give him a workshop restricted to him and queue something useful, like the production of wood or metal bolts. If he values military skills, have him train for a bit. If he is in really bad shape, lock him in a room with the stuff he needs. As he does the work (making mugs, gaining skills in fighting, crafting, etc), he will get happier. Then let him out before he gets too lonely. And if he would rather see the natural world burnt to ashes, disable any labors that would cause him to be outside in the weather. It is ethical to give him the opportunity to work.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 12:41:07 pm »

Now we're all emotionally attached to the angry tantruming dwarf we request updates on his well being

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 03:33:22 pm »

Now we're all emotionally attached to the angry tantruming dwarf we request updates on his well being

Oh, he's fine, totally fine, fully recovered. Say hi to guys, Urist! (shaking the dead dorf around and waving his decomposed arm). Totally fine, full recovery.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 06:13:12 am »

Check his beliefs and thoughts. Most dwarfs value craftsmanship, military prowess, those that master a skill, etc. If he hasn't been able to craft for too long and he values the betterment of skills, give him a workshop restricted to him and queue something useful, like the production of wood or metal bolts. If he values military skills, have him train for a bit. If he is in really bad shape, lock him in a room with the stuff he needs. As he does the work (making mugs, gaining skills in fighting, crafting, etc), he will get happier. Then let him out before he gets too lonely. And if he would rather see the natural world burnt to ashes, disable any labors that would cause him to be outside in the weather. It is ethical to give him the opportunity to work.

Yeah, well, they'll still find something to bitch about. Like being away from their imaginary friends. Or not having a surplus amount of giant blind flying platypus' minced balls in the kitchen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3