Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress full of vomit?  (Read 2292 times)

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress full of vomit?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 06:45:43 pm »

I don't trust myself to keep track of the passage of time well enough to quarantine him every month, so I guess he's on house arrest if he does turn. Maybe once I'm a bit better at levers and mechanisms I'll rig up a system so I can unleash him on my enemies if they're foolish enough to attack under the full moon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 08:03:28 pm »

I don't trust myself to keep track of the passage of time well enough to quarantine him every month, so I guess he's on house arrest if he does turn. Maybe once I'm a bit better at levers and mechanisms I'll rig up a system so I can unleash him on my enemies if they're foolish enough to attack under the full moon.
You only need to quarantine him for the first month, if he doesn't turn into a werebeast on the first full moon that means he's fine. Werebeasts will always turn on the full moon, so you don't have to worry about extending the quarantine more than two months

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »

You only need to quarantine him for the first month, if he doesn't turn into a werebeast on the first full moon that means he's fine. Werebeasts will always turn on the full moon, so you don't have to worry about extending the quarantine more than two months
He’s stating what he will do “if he does turn.”
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 10:23:23 pm »

Oh in that case I'm a fool. To answer that line of inquiry, you don't need to rig up an intricate system for unleashing werebeasts on your enemies - they're much more useful as a soldier than a were-creature who you send out to fight the enemy regardless of what the moon is doing. Every transformation cycle regenerates all of their wounds, which makes them some of the most survivable Dwarves possible

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:45 pm »

Oh in that case I'm a fool. To answer that line of inquiry, you don't need to rig up an intricate system for unleashing werebeasts on your enemies - they're much more useful as a soldier than a were-creature who you send out to fight the enemy regardless of what the moon is doing. Every transformation cycle regenerates all of their wounds, which makes them some of the most survivable Dwarves possible
Oh, I see. In that case, I'll set him up in a squad and make sure to keep an eye on the calendar. Maybe I'll set him to 'patrol' in his cell some of the time so I don't have to keep track of him 24/7.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 11:04:02 pm »

Just be careful with using locked doors - werecreatures can gradually tear down doors, which can lead to some rather fun surprises. A bridge however, will be completely fine

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 11:35:06 pm »

I've got his room walled up for now, but once I let him out I'll set up a bridge instead. Can I somehow rig the bridge to activate on its own at a certain time of the month, or do I need to manage that manually?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 01:02:17 am »

Well, if you can obtain another werebeast (or produce another using your current one), you can create a werebeast clock, possibly connected to an inverter. Or just have a really long minecart repeater.

In any case, there's no way to automate switching his containment burrow on and off, so at least that will have to be manual.

Unless... you could have a bridge to another room within his containment cell, where there's a lever assigned to him personally, set to pull on repeat. That bridge could be controlled by the same monthly repeater mechanism, so he will only be able to path to it and by extension his containment chamber when it is almost time for him to turn.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 01:28:22 am »

You can do that?? The complexity of this game amazes me. Looks like I've got some wiki-diving to do to figure all this out.

Also, the hauler did end up turning, but now that he's back to normal for a bit I've set him loose so he can get medical attention and stop filling my fortress with vomit. Crazy to think that mysterious vomit is what started this thread, and now I'm trying to figure out how to set up a minecart timer so I can make a werelizard put himself under house arrest every month.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 04:47:41 am »

As mentioned, were beasts heal all wounds when they turn, so if your vomiter turned, he should be fully healed when he turned back, so no more vomit and no need for healing. However, I would definitely keep the bugger locked up, as it can take time to get them back into their cells on time if they decide it's time for a prayer bender or whatnot.

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 11:49:52 am »

You're right, he's all better! I couldn't tell when he was in his cell because the place is so green already. I'm moving him to a larger and better-decorated room so he doesn't get bad thoughts from being in there all the time. I think I'm also going to set him up as a one-man squad and designate his room as his barracks and training area so he can do something productive and bulk up for when I need him.
Pages: 1 [2]