Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress full of vomit?  (Read 2293 times)

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress full of vomit?
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:48:22 am »

Hey all, I'm a very new player so this might be an easy one. I noticed just now that my fortress is slowly being carpeted in vomit, but only in a few specific places. None of the vomit areas are outside or anywhere near my entrance, so I don't think it's cave adaptation. The main place is in my stone and wood stockpiles, for some reason. What could be the cause of this? Are my dwarves nauseated by granite and logs?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress full of vomit?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:53 am »

Alcohol abuse.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:05:37 am »

Exhaustion?  Do those stockpiles use wheelbarrows?

(Maybe I'm misremembering but I think over-exertion/exhaustion could cause vomiting.  Hauling heavy things might cause this.)

Otherwise we'd have to see some screenshots to get a better idea of what is going on.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:34:50 am »

The two main reasons for vomit are cave adaptation and alcohol induced unconsciousness and vomiting caused by tavern keepers (and tavern performers) shoving booze down patrons' throats.

An uncommon reason is syndrome induced vomiting caused by FBs or evil rain.

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:49:03 am »

Can't be tavern-related, I'm still trying to get the room dug out for that. I think I found the problem, though: one of my haulers sustained an injury to the guts in the last werebeast attack, and it seems he'd rather wander my fortress occasionally puking than go to the hospital. If I turn off his labors and set him in a burrow that only covers the hospital, can I push his AI to get treated so he stops doing this?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:16:35 am »

If your hospital zone is 'a'ctive, and the dwarf is able to be treated, he will immediately walk there or be carried. So, if he is not Rest'ing there now, he cannot be treated (or the zone was accidentally toggled off). Usually bruised guts heal fast. How badly was he hurt? The information will be in the gamelog.txt if the reports are no longer available.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 10:17:29 am »

Can't be tavern-related, I'm still trying to get the room dug out for that. I think I found the problem, though: one of my haulers sustained an injury to the guts in the last werebeast attack, and it seems he'd rather wander my fortress occasionally puking than go to the hospital. If I turn off his labors and set him in a burrow that only covers the hospital, can I push his AI to get treated so he stops doing this?

If he's been attacked by a werebeast, vomiting may soon be the least of your problems.  If you have a hospital, what does his diagnosis say?  (Go to the Z page, on the Health Tab)

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:36:23 am »

According to the combat report my poor hauler has bruised guts along with torn fat and muscle in various places. The attack was very recent, within the season I think. The guy has nothing on his diagnosis page, so I popped over to the hospital and realized I couldn't find my diagnostician. I know he was around before the attack, so I think it's safe to assume he was killed during the chaos and nobody's found the body yet. Can't believe I didn't notice until now. I'll assign a new one and see if this poor dwarf can't get some medical attention.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 03:45:20 pm »

The dude's infected. Wall him inside a room, RIGHT NOW.

Pray you have enough time before the next full moon.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 04:02:22 pm »

The dude's infected. Wall him inside a room, RIGHT NOW.

Pray you have enough time before the next full moon.

Aren't werebeats curses only transmitted through bites?I'm pretty sure I had a werellama attack my fort and my Mace Squad make short work of it. I had 5 wounded but only 2 were bites, the others were just scratchs and bruises. The 2 bitten ones turned into Werellamas, the other 3 had no side effects.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 04:03:42 pm »

According to the combat report my poor hauler has bruised guts along with torn fat and muscle in various places. The attack was very recent, within the season I think. The guy has nothing on his diagnosis page, so I popped over to the hospital and realized I couldn't find my diagnostician. I know he was around before the attack, so I think it's safe to assume he was killed during the chaos and nobody's found the body yet. Can't believe I didn't notice until now. I'll assign a new one and see if this poor dwarf can't get some medical attention.

All bodies should be visible in the stocks menu (corpses). I'm not sure if it doesn't require max bookkeeper accuracy, but this should be set anyway. I always look at the stocks screen after battles and in the beginning of the year, because died animals in cages and dwarves away from high traffic areas won't be found too quickly. On the other hand if you do have coffins installed and set to accept citizens, the diagnostician can be already inferred in one of these.

As for the potential werebeastman, if he wasn't bitten he isn't infected (for example if the werebeast used claws), but if he was bitten, then fun awaits. And more vomit, probably.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:17:31 pm »

If he has several torn body parts whose skin was broken, chances are at least one of them was due to a bite. Lock him up, just to be safe. If he doesn't turn by the next full moon, he's safe and you can let him back out.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 05:13:32 pm »

If he has several torn body parts whose skin was broken, chances are at least one of them was due to a bite. Lock him up, just to be safe. If he doesn't turn by the next full moon, he's safe and you can let him back out.
That said, due to changes in combat where a blocked attack might still transmit enough force to tear skin, there's also a fair chance that they're safe. It'll only transmit if the bite successfully tears the skin with the attack itself

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 06:30:26 pm »

As it turns out, my dwarves found and buried my diagnostician without me even noticing - they're more efficient than I thought! The new one's coming along well, and if my hauler survives the next month without turning I'll finally be able to get him treated.

I had no idea werebeasts could infect people that easily. I can't find any record of bites in his combat log, but I've walled the hauler in his room until I can figure out whether he's going to turn. This also solves my problem of vomit getting everywhere - now it's contained, at least. But if he does turn out to be infected, what do I do with him? Is he safe to release back into the population, or do I have to keep him on house arrest for the rest of his life?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 06:35:24 pm »

You can let him back out after he turns back, but be absolutely sure to wall him back inside before the next full moon. Don't even try to lock him in with a locked door, since werebeasts are building destroyers. I, personally, would just keep him in there indefinitely (he won't thirst/starve to death since those counters are reset every time a creature transforms), and find a way to weaponize him later.
Pages: [1] 2