Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Shattered Lands  (Read 15444 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Shattered Lands
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2018, 02:39:22 pm »

Damn dude, after reading that report I was gonna donate a couple dozen troops to help kick-start your offensive and get the ball rolling.  But I understand if you're not having fun, and I promise to treat your people with the respect they deserve.

Hey a1s, do I get TankKit's remaining 16 points?
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: First of all, neither of you asked me if you could transfer land like that. Which, honestly, I think you shouldn't (I would probably ask you to take him on as an NPC vassal.) But it's just 2 lands, and you seem to have a whole plan laid out, so I can just make that a rule in the next version of this game.

Also, doesn't RulerofNothing win a Tech Victory, since he has >50 points income and more than twice anyone else?

Winning:
tech victory is now based on income: 50 min income at least double second place and after turn 10;

No, 29 is actually bigger than 56/2. And now that my hopes of him sneaking a victory next turn are dashed, let's hope this at least leads to a battle between the two.

Create a second Duchy and the Kingdom of Redsvale for 20 points.
Invest 21 points into XI

That's 3 things, as a duke you only get 2. Until next turn starts.

It's too luck based.
Kinda. The way this game is designed is that you roll the dice on battles and you get steady, but smaller incomes from the economy. There's not much strategy in this game, but not relying on only one of those things would be one.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2018, 02:55:37 pm »

Attack LXXIX with 50 troops.
Invest 20 into offense.
Invest 20 into defense.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2018, 03:27:19 pm »

Ah, I missed that blue has 29.

And I dunno why you're so put out that he's not about to sneak a victory; that would be about the most boring way the game could end.  No one has actually fought.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:29:23 pm by evictedSaint »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2018, 03:39:16 pm »

It's too luck based.
Kinda. The way this game is designed is that you roll the dice on battles and you get steady, but smaller incomes from the economy. There's not much strategy in this game, but not relying on only one of those things would be one.
So, the game is designed so that you roll to decide battles and you get money from the economy, and you're saying I was only relying on one of those. Either I'm misinterpreting this sentence or you failed to convey what you mean, either way somewhere along the line communication has failed. It looks to me like you just explained what the game is, and said I either wasn't fighting enough or wasn't getting enough money. Which is somewhat silly since my whole problem was that I was trying to get more places so I could get more money so I could start snowballing quicker so I could start improving my economy and therefore my army and so on and so forth. And if your suggestion is that I should of just improved the provinces I already had, I felt that was a bad idea due to the looming threat of two large nations that could likely wipe me out if I spent too much on improving my economy. Basically, I got screwed by a combination of starting late and bad luck.

Also, sorry for not asking you whether or not I could give my land to EvictedSaint first. I just sort of assumed it would be allowed since it makes sense in multiple ways. It could also foster more diplomacy and war over important pieces of land that different sides want, and just in general make the game more exciting and give people more of a reason to fight or engage in diplomacy.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2018, 07:05:22 pm »

Invest 55 points into VIII
Attack IX with 25 points
Attack XX with 25 points

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2018, 04:38:41 am »

So, the game is designed so that you roll to decide battles and you get money from the economy, and you're saying I was only relying on one of those.
I am- you overrelied on combat. Your single action of any economic worth was becoming a Duke (this gave you 2 points of income for 10 points, in a predictable manner.)
If your suggestion is that I should of just improved the provinces I already had, I felt that was a bad idea due to the looming threat of two large nations that could likely wipe me out if I spent too much on improving my economy. Basically, I got screwed by a combination of starting late and bad luck.
You got screwed over by the RNG, I'll  grant you that, but your rationale for not improving your staring provinces is faulty. Combat gets you exactly 1 point of income on it's own and improving an empty province is super cheap. I understand the desire to reach Duchy (Dukehood?) as quickly as possible (or I would if you haven't skipped so many actions), but after that you were definitely meant to improve what you had. 

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2018, 06:27:27 am »

The reason I skipped 'so many actions' was that there was little else for me to do. As for your logic that my strategy is faulty, I can't really disagree with you if you're talking about the ultimate best series of actions to take and are basing it off the very way the game it works. Otherwise, I do disagree. I was planning on getting one more duchy and then improving what I had, with the knowledge that I was secure. Another reason I tried to get more land was that I was making sure I at least had two duchies worth of land I knew I owned. Also, you seem to think I expected to get a good economy from fighting, which I didn't. And I also don't think my logic about my massive neighbour being a threat is faulty either. Either way, I simply don't enjoy this game, and am known for being stubborn, so this argument is somewhat pointless. Not to mention arguments tend to become more heated the longer they last. With that in mind, I admit that I likely did not go down the best route, but if I hadn't been screwed by luck I would have a second duchy and would of used my current action to improve my economy. Therefore, if my plan worked I would be doing far, far better off, and this argument would not be happening. But it didn't, I got unlucky and my plan failed, rendering it useless and me too weak to influence everything, which lead to me giving my land to someone else to help them win instead. Just don't blame me for the results of a roll.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2018, 07:01:44 am »

Either way, I simply don't enjoy this game
I'm sorry I was not able to provide a satisfying game experience, and wish you more luck next time.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2018, 07:08:09 am »

I'm sorry I was not able to provide a satisfying game experience, and wish you more luck next time.
And I wish you good luck with running forum games.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2018, 02:10:12 pm »

Waiting for actions from KitRougard and MonkeyMarkMario.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2018, 05:04:58 pm »

Sorry was working on my computer, reformatting and such.

Spend 55 points each to improve LXXI and LXX, send 50 to conquer LXXXI.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2018, 03:06:07 pm »

Shots fired, ladies and gentlemen!

King RulerOfNothing does a massive investment in infrastructure, is that a train? is that a steamboat? no, it's someone burning enough points to get 10 income! They also attack IX, flawless victory.  and XX taking a full 1 damage before destroying the helpless natives, what went wrong? 15 total loot obtained.

King The_Two_Eternities attacks LXXIX and discovers  56 men strong ambush. After the biggest battle this continent has ever seen, Südland loses 45 troops to Masked Tribes' 8. The_Two_Eternities also conducts an investment into the military 20 new helmets and 20 new pikes are forged.

King MonkeyMarkMario conducts an even more grandiose investment in the economy, 20 mercenary peasants are hired as strikebreakers, regular peasants agree to do a bit of work. They also attack LXXXI, each enemy is personally enveloped by 5 LI troops, it's super effective. 10 loot is taken as spoils.

Duke Jerick is crowned King of Redsvale 

The Masked Tribes decide that inaction is the best action and set an ambush in their capital. After the biggest battle this archipelago has ever seen, 45 filthy Southrons fall alongside 8 heroic masked troops.

Duke EvictedSaint inherits the lands of Adreksvalred, crowns himself the King of NSFW and attacks VL, which explodes like a blood sausage. 6 loot is taken as spoils.

Duke TankKit dies tragically while looking for the Holy Grail.

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

King RulerOfNothing of Lland, Duke of Lland, Xevia, points: 123 income: 68/turn offense: +5% Allies: MonkeyMarkMario

King The_Two_Eternities of Südland, Duke of Southron, Southport, points: 20 income: 18/turn boats:5  defense: +20%  offense: +20% Allies: MonkeyMarkMario

King MonkeyMarkMario of Li, Duke of Li, Bi, LXands., points: 119 income: 40/turn offense: +10% Allies: RulerOfNothing, The_Two_Eternities

King Jerick of Redsvale, Duke of Redsvale, Redsvale(1), points: 44 income: 20/turn offense: +13% Allies: EvictedSaint

Duke KitRougard of The Masked Tribes, points: 60 income: 12/turn boats:4

King EvictedSaint of NSFW, Duke of Lewd, Adultcontent, points: 128 income: 25/turn Allies: Jerick

Duke TankKit of Adreksvalred, points: 0 income: 0/turn Allies: Jerick, EvictedSaint, KitRougard
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:15:07 pm by a1s »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2018, 03:17:33 pm »

Invest 36 points in XXXI (Value of 8 )
Invest 36 points in VL (Value of 8 )
Attack XXIV with 50

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:17 pm »

Invest 55 point to both LXI and LXXII and build 9 boats.

The kingdom of Li off their condolence to their allies in their recent losses and ask's if we can host a peace conference.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »

Hold up. I dodged an attack on my capitol by IDLING?
Damn.
Alrighty.

Make XXI a Duchy, attack with 20 on X
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18