Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The situation looks hopeless for our Viking hero. Should I just end the game the next turn?

Yes
- 1 (20%)
No
- 4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 15, 2019, 01:31:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: A Viking's Tale (SG)  (Read 51683 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: A Viking's Tale (SG)
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2019, 09:06:26 am »

"(4)(6) Thanks to Tod's carefulness and masterful path-planning, his band has sneaked into the enemy territory without being detected. However, a bear who has just awoken from a hibernation attacked and slayed some of his troops before an atgeir penetrates and breaks his skull. The band stands not too far away from the local settlement, with the High Chief's small fort in the center of it. (4) The garrison that guards the settlement consists mostly from Polish tribal warriors and archers, meaning that Przemyslaw's probably away, fighting somewhere else, but it's still would be vital to take the control of the settlement back."

-6 skirmishers, -2 heavy axemen, -1 atgeir wielder.

Spoiler: Current assets (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2019, 10:40:35 am »

Have the archers get closer to town and start firing upon it, then send in everyone else.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2019, 05:38:13 pm »

Have the archers get closer to town and start firing upon it, then send in everyone else.
No  we should try a rush, make ladders an a few log rams.
We can hide until dusk then advance, useing the cover of darkness to rush the walls from multiple sides.
With luck we be at the walls before where spotted and take them before any guards are ready to fight back.
A siege plays in to there hands and risks us getting a returning Przemyslaw in the back.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2019, 08:35:13 pm »

A siege plays in to there hands and risks us getting a returning Przemyslaw in the back.

I agree with this to an extent. But I do not think it is critical that settlement is captured at this exact moment. As long as we are not too preoccupied to fight the Chieftain when he returns, waiting can favor us.

-Set up camp in a defensible position near town.
-Send a Housecarl and a handful of our Polish troops to parlay with the garrison. Their leader doesn't care about them. He abandoned them to their own devices, and now the sons of Odin are here for them. Luckily for them, today we are under the employ of the Polish King, and as such we are willing to spare Polish Lives. If they lay down their arms and give us the fort, no harm will befall the town. Warn them that if they refuse, their lives are forfeit.
-If they accept. Occupy the fort and prepare for the Chieftain's return.
-If they refuse, harass the town, but do not commit to a siege or engagement, while we await the Chieftain's return. Loot and burn nearby fields. Patrol nearby roads to capture anybody traveling to or from town. Send out some scouts to try and find the Chieftain's Army, as well as other valuable targets to strike.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2019, 08:37:53 pm »

I agree with this to an extent. But I do not think it is critical that settlement is captured at this exact moment. As long as we are not too preoccupied to fight the Chieftain when he returns, waiting can favor us.

-Send a Housecarl and a handful of our Polish troops to parlay with the garrison. Their leader doesn't care about them. He abandoned them to their own devices, and now the sons of Odin are here for them. Luckily for them, today we are under the employ of the Polish King, and as such we are willing to spare Polish Lives. If they lay down their arms and give us the fort, no harm will befall the town. Warn them that if they refuse, their lives are forfeit.
-If they refuse, harass the town, but do not commit to a siege or engagement, while we await the Chieftain's return. Loot and burn nearby fields. Patrol nearby roads to capture anybody traveling to or from town. Send out some scouts to try and find the Chieftain's Army, as well as other valuable targets to strike.

+1 this what we should do.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2019, 04:11:21 am »

+1 this what we should do.
+1 This is better than my idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:20 am »

"(6) By the command of Tod, a siege camp has been built near the settlement, on a small grassy hill nearby. It immediately attracted the local patrols and the garrison, (3)(4 VS 5) but at the last moment, the stealthy Poles get spotted, and the Vikings open fire. There were some loses among the Norsemen, but ultimately, the high ground helped them to hold well against the sudden attack. An hour later, Tod sends an envoy towards the settlement, with the envoy telling the commander that Przemyslaw doesn't care about them, and that he's simply an overly ambitious nobleman wanting more power. (4 VS 4-1, got beaten by you recently) The commander has long period of awkward pause and glancing at his troops, but ultimately he says, "We're surrendering as long as you'll let every soldier of mine leave the city without imprisonment." The envoy returns back to Tod, reporting a successful negotiation, thus prompting his band to occupy the settlement peacefully and without bloodshed. The former garrison runs off from the settlement, with very few of them remaining armed. Now, the Vikings are awaiting either an envoy from King Wieslaw to congratulate for the capturing of an important point, or the leader of rebellion himself, High Chief Przemyslaw, to eventually return back for a rude greeting."

-4 axe throwers, -3 heavy axemen.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2019, 04:57:02 pm »

Prepare defenses as best we can.

Send out small scouting parties to try to find either the enemy army, or more targets to hit.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2019, 08:33:38 pm »

Send out small scouting parties to try to find either the enemy army, or more targets to hit.

+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2019, 04:26:13 am »

+1
+1

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2019, 09:01:21 am »

"(4) After a defeat against King Wieslaw's forces, Przemyslaw retreats into his territory, on his way to replenish forces. (3)(1+1 for ambush VS 3) While the Vikings failed to reinforce the fort further, they open fire at Przemyslaw's army to laughable results: The archers hit only a few of the rebels, prompting the latter to flee and seek a better position, trying to lure out the Norsemen from the fort."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2019, 10:21:10 am »

Have the archers fire flaming arrows at the rebels to burn whatever their using as cover then once we get them out of cover we send our army in to fight them while the archers stay in the fort and fire at them with regular arrow.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:59 pm »

Have the archers fire flaming arrows at the rebels to burn whatever their using as cover then once we get them out of cover we send our army in to fight them while the archers stay in the fort and fire at them with regular arrow.
We must keep the fort, and not get drawn in to a battle we don't need to fight.
His men are cold, tired and beaten , we have just smashed there hope.
We hold the fort and let our allies come to finish him.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2019, 07:02:41 pm »

We must keep the fort, and not get drawn in to a battle we don't need to fight.
His men are cold, tired and beaten , we have just smashed there hope.
We hold the fort and let our allies come to finish him.
+1
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2019, 01:07:40 pm »

"(5 vs 6) All of a sudden, a small army of Loyalists has arrived in the province, chasing after Przemyslaw. After a heated battle, Przemyslaw's forces get massacred, though Przemyslaw himself has barely escaped on his horse, receiving an arrow in his right shoulder. Warlord Krzysztof, who leads this small army of Loyalists, says to Tod that despite the rebels will definitely get crushed, there's still one place left to recapture, and it'll likely be a place where Przemyslaw will tend his wounds...

"Let's just stick our warbands together while marching towards the last bastion of the rebellion." Offered Krzysztof.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38