Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 423

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 527303 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #4005 on: January 01, 2022, 03:29:00 am »

Toady could increase the mainstream awareness of DF by adding new "flavors" of Fortress Mode, each designed to appeal to different genre markets.

In Anime flavor, all the dwarves would wear school uniforms & half-open shirts, carry swords everywhere they go, and the most important dwarves (determined by how frequently the overseer examines them) would develop wildly unnatural hair colors.

Steampunk flavor would feature oil, gunpowder, and forts powered with steam turbines, all run by goggle-wearing Siege Engineer inventors, who can experience Strange Moods multiple times per year.

Monotheism flavor would make all dwarves, elves, and humans Christian. Everyone wears a metal necklace of a cross, and the only decorative engraving allowed is thin crosses. Egg-laying animals and Dyers are especially busy around Easter, and everyone exchanges gifts on Christmas.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4006 on: January 01, 2022, 04:04:16 am »

Dwarves should keep a fortress-wide counter titled "Days without an accident".  This counter is usually reset by cave-ins, floods, transgressions regarding animal people, and Godwin's law.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: January 01, 2022, 11:15:03 am »

Did you mean Murphy's Law?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: January 01, 2022, 11:19:48 am »

You had to be a Law Nazi did not yoe?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: January 01, 2022, 02:39:57 pm »

Stop! You violated the law!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: January 01, 2022, 03:26:58 pm »

Stop, in the name of wuv!
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: January 01, 2022, 06:57:22 pm »

Humans with level 20 skill in sword should be referred to as "kensei".
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: January 02, 2022, 03:13:30 am »

A blind swordsman should be deadlier than one with eyes.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: January 02, 2022, 07:40:51 am »

A totally unarmed little old man with a smile should be deadlier than several whole units of any melee type, and impervious to any ranged attack. If it gets that far. Their morale will usually break first, if they know what's good for them.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: January 02, 2022, 03:53:21 pm »

In adventure mode you should only be allowed to play as characters with extravision. That's because without it you seem to see around anyway but still suffer blindness under certain circumstances.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4015 on: January 02, 2022, 04:22:44 pm »

Adventure mode should accurately model the vision of the creature you're playing as.  Everything is black/grayed out except for the tiles that fall within your vision cone.  Things that are in the "dim" part of your vision cone show up as generic icons (similar to how noise is depicted as exclamation marks), but cannot be identified unless you look at them.  You need to press a key to look in a different direction.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: January 02, 2022, 05:46:33 pm »

For (most) mammalian-style eyes, everything directly in front of you is initially of the 'dim'/peripheral form, but as saccadic movements fill in the details that the fixated gaze cannot, you get a delayed certainty of vision that once again deteriorates if you try to fixate intensely.

Those sufficiently experienced with training with other senses can expand this level of 'vision certainty'. If downwind of suitable targets, like creatures that you're familiar with or are especially pungent, your olfaction may reveal a (rough) idea of their presence/passage upwind. Hearing may provide a decent overlay of some sort of light footstep happening right behind you, or a large ruccus of some kind conveying over some nearby ridge (with potential false positioning in particularly hard and crinkly geography, on the surface, or geographyedit: geology, in the caverns). Subtle changes in air-flow might even be felt, if you're being stalked by an expert (natural or trained) in cryptic hunting, etc.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:13:54 pm by Starver »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: January 02, 2022, 06:06:49 pm »

Add quill pens as weapons, and make them more powerful than swords.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:30:13 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: January 03, 2022, 03:17:00 am »

Music should be able to make animals in savage areas friendly.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4019 on: January 03, 2022, 06:48:28 am »

Music should be able to make animals hostile.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 423