Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a mess hall for the troops  (Read 1197 times)

birdman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting up a mess hall for the troops
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:00:48 pm »

With my last fort, everyone socialized across the entire fort too much (somewhat small tavern, multiple compact temples, too much leisure time spent chatting) and I'd like to cut back on that by restricting who socializes with who, in the hopes of minimizing negative thoughts due to loss. If I set up multiple "dining rooms" all in the same room, and assign them to say, my melee dwarves, will they effectively use it as a mess hall and still chat with each other while eating in their own "dining room"? I'd heard that the changes to the way socializing work make it so that dwarves don't talk as much while on the job, if at all, and I'm wondering if that also applies to when they're eating next to each other even if it's not in a meeting area.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a mess hall for the troops
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 06:11:29 pm »

I don't think friendships actually form right now, so minimizing socialization won't actually affect negative thoughts much when somebody dies afaik.

birdman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:10:29 pm »

I don't think friendships actually form right now, so minimizing socialization won't actually affect negative thoughts much when somebody dies afaik.

Then the relationships in the relationships screen are purely formed during worldgen? Wouldn't that also make it so dwarves never get married and fall in love....?? Something about that doesn't sound quite right

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:01 pm »

Relationships do get made, but due to weirdness with the socialization system it doesn't seem to be happening properly in taverns. Suspicion is that it is caused by dwarves not talking enough to one another in big taverns.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 02:35:49 pm »

Relationships do get made, but due to weirdness with the socialization system it doesn't seem to be happening properly in taverns. Suspicion is that it is caused by dwarves not talking enough to one another in big taverns.
just like they mated very often in a big crammed dormitory and barely when having huge seperated rooms.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)