Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The tale of "Ladderbound".  (Read 2052 times)

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
  • One time, a horde of Monkeys doomed my Dwarves.
    • View Profile
The tale of "Ladderbound".
« on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:19 pm »

Something pretty funny happened to me today. So I had my brewer go out to pick some fruits from the nearby trees to use for some quick booze production to kick start my newest fortress, but while he was standing on his stepladder he suddenly became thirsty. I was doing some fortress designing when I just noticed some dwarf stuck on top of stepladder doing absolutely nothing (and thus I nicknamed him "Ladderbound"). I did whatever I could to try and save him, but he inevitably died of dehydrated and then fell face-first into the ground off his stepladder. Does anyone have any idea of what may have happened to cause this? He didn't feel any negative emotions so I assume that this was a game issue.
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.
May ye seek out solutions before your dwarf drops dead.
Ladderbound provided the proof ye can be stuck at the top of a ladder.
All raise yer cups to Ladderbound!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: The tale of "Ladderbound".
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:34:27 am »

Dwarfs sometimes get stuck in trees. The easiest way to deal with this is by cutting the tree down.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 10:46:42 am »

Was there any wildlife that might have cause the dwarf to interrupt their fruit-picking job? It might be possible for the dwarf to become job-interrupted and then lose access to the job's stepladder, then be stuck in mid-air.

There was a situation where an elf trader had a pack animal behind him, the elf stepped onto frozen water, the water melted (while the elf was above the water and the linked animal was on land). The elf became stuck in mid-air and didn't become unstuck until a floor was built in his tile. Your dwarf might have been stuck because he was not in the tree and no longer properly linked to the stepladder, but because a fall was not triggered, he would have been stuck in mid-air. Speculation....
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:09:58 am »

Dwarfs sometimes get stuck in trees. The easiest way to deal with this is by cutting the tree down.
The Dwarf was stuck on a stepladder.

Was there any wildlife that might have cause the dwarf to interrupt their fruit-picking job? It might be possible for the dwarf to become job-interrupted and then lose access to the job's stepladder, then be stuck in mid-air.

There was a situation where an elf trader had a pack animal behind him, the elf stepped onto frozen water, the water melted (while the elf was above the water and the linked animal was on land). The elf became stuck in mid-air and didn't become unstuck until a floor was built in his tile. Your dwarf might have been stuck because he was not in the tree and no longer properly linked to the stepladder, but because a fall was not triggered, he would have been stuck in mid-air. Speculation....
I mentioned that the Dwarf got dehydrated while on the stepladder, so that probably canceled his fruit-picking job, but the Dwarf was indeed standing on the stepladder.
May ye remember Ladderbound's fate when one of yer fruit-pickers dwarfs be thirsty and not moving.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:31:47 pm »

Not to be a broken record but are you sure he wasn't hanging down from the branches above him.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 12:31:32 am »

Not to be a broken record but are you sure he wasn't hanging down from the branches above him.

Nope.

EDIT: Sorry, now that I think about it that could be a possibility, although I don't remember seeing branches near the dwarf.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:33:58 am by Rufflikerex »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 10:32:33 am »

Not really a way to test that in hindsight anyway, I suppose.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 11:47:29 am »

There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Rufflikerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 02:29:26 pm »

I love this.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:06 am »

I had a plant-gathering zone directly in the tree (set to gather from the tree) and some gathering dwarfs stopped moving in the tree. When I de-activated the zone, the dwarfs left the tree. I suspect that would have worked with "Laddedbound".