Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alchamech: "Freeform Experement" OOC  (Read 3888 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alchamech: "Freeform Experement" OOC
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 05:12:47 pm »

Cool to see this is back (again). Miiiight make a character sheet, but I have a terrible track record of being active for extended periods of time, so I'll just PTW for now.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »

First off, on phone, so I may be doing this piecemeal and not necessarily all at once. I have an hour right now and then I'll have other things that need doing, and there may be things before that.

Regarding hijacking: I'd kinda put it in on the idea that Merging would get around that. That said, I hadn't actually been clear on how Homonculi happened; I'd been thinking that they would (or wouldn't) be made when the Alchamech was, and that the builders just didn't know how that all worked. If we could discuss this over Discord at some point (as given above, I don't have much time right now), that would be great. At the very least, Merging would probably help.

I'm not quite sure what SEP stands for, but given the context, I'm assuming stealth stuff. The don't-notice-me runes don't really care what senses you're using to pick up on it. They likely wouldn't get around specific magic-sensors though; it would be pretty bright in a small area (though if there's a bunch of other Alchamechs or Purified around, it may still get overlooked). The chameleon thing is specifically for physical senses.
Quite frankly, the only two situations where I'm likely to encounter another alchamech are if I'm infiltrating a location where they're stored or built, or if I land face-first in a lot of horrible luck.

The plainclothes are worn, the rope is worn like a belt, the grappling hook is on the end of the rope and is the kind that folds out of a cylinder, the knives and pistol all are held on the belt, and we can ignore the native clothes. I don't know what the standard-issue stuff actually is; we can discuss it, and I'll try to figure out the bare minimum I need and how/wear to store it. Some of it may be held externally on Sigma.

Sigma sounds mostly androgynous, leaning female. I'm thinking that it may be (approximately) how their original pilot sounded.

With how Mind Meld is described now, its effectiveness in hijacking would depend on the strength of the target homonculus, and thus may or may not work too well depending on the target.

Someone Else's Problem. Its a HHGTTG reference. It causes anyone who sees the object inside the SEP field and think it is someone else's problem, thus ignoring it. Basically a don't-notice-me-senpai field :P. As you have stated one of your main fighting strategies is to hijack enemy alchemech and given their proliferation in the enemy army, having only two situations where you are bound to run into them is a little optimistic.

Standard issue is just a PDW and armor. Where does your guy keep the two massive range weapons that his mech has?
The hijacking Alchamechs thing was an afterthought that I tacked on when I thought about the Merging thing. If there is an available Alchamech to hijack, I will gladly do so, but I'm not expecting to have an opportunity often.

Can I say that the Merging also redirects the Alchamech's Homunculus's loyalties to Octavian's? I'm ok if the answer is no, and it's frankly not likely to come up often, regardless, but I'd like for us to fully know what happens if we encounter the hijacking situation.

Anti-rank rifle, mine layer, and crossbow (foldable, because foldable is helpful) are all held on the back, basically in a set of three parallel sheaths. I've already mentioned where the swords are held.

Things I didn't get to say earlier but was going to:
Original pilot that Sigma had been with for a long time died (I haven't thought of how but it seems suitable for what followed), after which the military tried and failed for a while to find a pilot she would cooperate with to a useable degree. They had Octavian try, Merging facilitated understanding and stuff, new pilot/Alchamech pair.

Also, after thinking about it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that Octavian could be considered a Purified/Pilot crossclass, both because he technically has a "Purified ability" of the Merging thing, and since Sigma is exosuit-sized, the playstyle will likely be similar.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 03:38:27 am »

Will write when get home
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 05:33:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 12:08:59 am »

Mind if I reserve a spot while I dig up one of my old sheets? I really, REALLY want to see where this game goes.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 01:18:40 am »

If we can reserve a spot, can I?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 10:13:48 am »

Keep in mind that taking out the pilot doesn't necessarily keep the alchamech from being a threat  ;).

"Average for a purified" is a fairly non-descriptive term. It would be like saying "average for a superhero" and including superman, batman, the punisher, professor X, and the flash. The fact that it is such a varied group means that you have some who are basically human normal, or even lower, while having some who are pretty far beyond. Could I get a more descriptive term of what you are capable of in terms of dodging and strength?

Is the Headhunter meant to be a Caster gun, or is it a unique weapon that fires alchemically powered shells?

How is flight accomplished? Does she have a pair of wings? Rockets in her feet?

Mind if I reserve a spot while I dig up one of my old sheets? I really, REALLY want to see where this game goes.

I'll probably just accept anyone who joins even after the game starts, as part of my experiment on combating player attrition.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 09:10:27 pm »

Backstory and appearance to be worked on, just registering interest.

Spoiler: Dealer (WIP) (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Sorry, too busy for now.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:54:14 pm by Pencil_Art »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 10:05:45 am »

I'm gonna work on a sheet for this.

So you are basically a jedi :P

To start with, your backstory doesn't make much sense. Why pull a changeling plot if you can just make an exact clone good enough to fool their loved ones? It would be like a heist movie spending time scoping out the area, learning every detail of a building, taking out the guards, and bypassing a dozen traps only to replace the suitcase full of money they where after with an identical suitcase full of the exact same amount of money. Sure they succeeded and won't get caught, but it can hardly be called the perfect crime. What benefit does kidnapping apparently random children have over just using the fully functioning clone they apparently have access to? Ignoring the moral problems, it seems like a waste of time and resources on their part.

Whoa that is a lot of abilities.

Is his Magnetic Shield static, or does it move with him? If it is static, does it go away if he moves out of range?

What is his limit when it comes to lifting, pushing, and rail-gunning things? What is his approximate "magnetic strength"?

What do you mean by 20m area? Do you mean a sphere with a radius of 20m, so that he can use it on anything within 20m?

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 08:20:30 pm »

Appearance:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:53:38 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »

And with that, it looks like everyone has responded to my nit-picky notes! Yay!

Rockeater is still working on his, so we will have to wait a bit before starting. Still interested Dustan? We can always bring you in later if you are busy now.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2018, 12:43:06 am »

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:53:51 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2018, 11:19:55 am »

And he's back! You didn't actually detail what Iron Fist does, while Splattercannon can be considered a "Light" weapon under the new system. Presumably iron fist would be a "Heavy" weapon now. Otherwise it still looks good.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 05:18:43 pm »

((Seeing that I'm going to be the only one who's an Officer, let's see what I can make of this.))

Name: Lieutenant Minerva Washington, Callsign: Iron Rose

Inventory: Wireless communicator, binoculars, compass, pocket-watch, officers' saber, service pistol with ammunition, and first aid kit.

General Skills: Minerva has great attention to detail which allows her to notice things that others would miss as well as easily detect barely noticeable visual cues people give off to get a gist of their intentions and feelings.  Minerva also possesses outdoor survival skills which allow her and, by extension, her soldiers to live off the land.

Combat Skill: Though she typically lets her soldiers and Alreona do the dirty work for her, Minerva is definitely no slough in the melee department. A talented sword wielder, Minerva can carve through lower level troops with frightening ease and can prove a challenge to more skilled opponents who are not supersoldiers. However, she possess only a typical level of skill with the pistol, preferring to let her Alreona do all the fancy perforating.

Dodge: Minerva can dodge just as well as a very agile human, though she is no faster than a typical sprinter.

Physical Characteristics: Though strength isn't her strongest suit, preferring to let her Alreona do all the barehanded skull crushing, Minerva is agile enough to avoid getting cut down before launching a swift but brutal counter-assault, having taken the time to keep herself in peak condition. Of course, being agile enough to avoid getting punched in the face does leave one less tough to taking hits that actually land.

Squad: With tactical adaptability in mind, Minerva's squads are customized in a way that either can be used to support each other in various ways while executing a particular plan.

Size: Minerva is in command of three squads, each specialized in various roles

• Recon Squad Raven (Sgt. Henri Thompson) - Responsible for scouting out enemy positions as well as identifying weaknesses and enemy assets for the other two squads to exploit.
  • Tactical Squad Owl (Sgt. Alice Heinrich) - Well rounded squad useful for responding to and countering almost any threat as well as supporting and mopping up after the other two squads.
  • Assault Squad Peregrine (Sgt. Maurice Applon) - Heavily armed squad capable of breaching enemy perimeters and storming objectives to take them by force. Can be used to clear the way for and shield the other two squads.

Experience: Each squad had fought with Minerva in a few battles and had gained enough combat experience to make recruits blush, though they are nowhere near 'grizzled veterans' status...yet.

Weaponry/Special: Making use of specialized squads, Minerva have ensured that each squad receives the proper tools for the role they play:

• Recon Squad Raven - Other than camo-cloaks and standard-issued rifles, Raven also received a few sniper rifles for the marksmen among them and anti-armor grenades. They travel light to move more quickly and quietly
  • Tactical Squad Owl - Besides the standard-issued gear and rifles, Owl received submachine guns and anti-armor rifles as well as frag and smoke grenades.
  • Assault Squad Peregrine - Other than body armor and standard-issued shotguns, Peregrine also received a few heavy machine guns and grenade launchers as well as flash bangs

Leadership: Though she cannot claim to be the greatest leader in history, Minerva have nevertheless earned the respect of her soldiers due to getting them in (mostly) one piece during the battles they'd fought as a part of. Stoic and calculating, Minerva trusts her sergeants' judgments in following whatever orders she gives them. Despite being expected to take sole credit for whatever victories her squads achieved, Minerva is one of the officers who chooses to give credit when it is due, giving much of it to her subordinates while retaining very little for herself, earning her no small amount of respect from them. Though she usually stays in the rear to command her squad, Minerva would occasionally fight alongside one of her squad whenever she feel that they need her skills, presence, or Alreona.

Alreona: Apollo, who resembled a teenaged, male version of Minerva, totes around an anti-material rifle that he is strong enough to use while standing. He is skilled enough to fire a round at the vision slit of an enemy Alchemech from seventy meters away, yet is strong enough to use it as a makeshift club whenever necessary. Apollo is very tough, which is particular useful at making up for his relatively low agility. Unlike the stoic Minerva, Apollo is jovial and prone to wisecracking at enemies. He can also be silly at times, much to Minerva's chagrin. Though most officers would frown at having such an Alreona as their bodyguard, Minerva views him pretty much as a son as well as a boost of morale for her soldiers.

Backstory: Born to an urban, middle-class family. Minerva have always wanted to join the military. To her, there was something about its ability to organize and direct troops and resources that intrigued her, plus the prospect of being a part of that structure and moving it according to her whims appealed to her. Though reluctant, her parents gave in and had her enrolled into the nearby Bradenworth Officers' Academy. Graduating among the top percentage, Minerva was assigned threes squads of soldiers she soon modified to fit her needs. As her detachment underwent the crucible of combat several times, the group grew closer and became more specialized up until the present day.

Appearance: Having blonde hair that reached her neck, Minerva has brown eyes and has dark brown skin. She wears an officer uniform befitting her station and a short black cape that covers her right shoulder. Her Alreona, Apollo, looks similar except that his hair comes up to his ears except for the rear strands which are tied into a braid that reaches the base of his skull. He wear a vest over his short sleeved shirt and a red scarf instead of a cape. A thin scar runs from his forehead to just below his left eye. Her squads wear garb and gear best suited for their role, with Raven wearing camo-cloaks, Owl wearing standard gear, and Peregrine wearing body armor and face plates/ gas masks.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:45:21 pm by Sir Elventide »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 07:06:26 pm »

((Seeing that I'm going to be the only one who's an Officer, let's see what I can make of this.))

Name: Minerva Washington, Callsign: Iron Rose

Inventory: Wireless communicator, binoculars, compass, pocket-watch, officers' saber, service pistol with ammunition, and first aid kit.

General Skills: Minerva has great attention to detail which allows her to notice things that others would miss as well as easily detect barely noticeable visual cues people give off to get a gist of their intentions and feelings.  Minerva also possesses outdoor survival skills which allow her and, by extension, her soldiers to live off the land.

Combat Skill: Though she typically lets her soldiers and Alreona do the dirty work for her, Minerva is definitely no slough in the melee department. A talented sword wielder, Minerva can carve through lower level troops with frightening ease and can prove a challenge to more skilled opponents who are not supersoldiers. However, she possess only a typical level of skill with the pistol, preferring to let her Alreona do all the fancy perforating.

Dodge: Minerva can dodge just as well as a very agile human, though she is no faster than a typical sprinter.

Physical Characteristics: Though strength isn't her strongest suit, preferring to let her Alreona do all the barehanded skull crushing, Minerva is agile enough to avoid getting cut down before launching a swift but brutal counter-assault, having taken the time to keep herself in peak condition. Of course, being agile enough to avoid getting punched in the face does leave one less tough to taking hits that actually land.

Squad: With tactical adaptability in mind, Minerva's squads are customized in a way that either can be used to support each other in various ways while executing a particular plan.

Size: Minerva is in command of three squads, each specialized in various roles

• Recon Squad Raven (Sgt. Henri Thompson) - Responsible for scouting out enemy positions as well as identifying weaknesses and enemy assets for the other two squads to exploit.
  • Tactical Squad Owl (Sgt. Alice Heinrich) - Well rounded squad useful for responding to and countering almost any threat as well as supporting and mopping up after the other two squads.
  • Assault Squad Peregrine (Sgt. Maurice Applon) - Heavily armed squad capable of breaching enemy perimeters and storming objectives to take them by force. Can be used to clear the way for and shield the other two squads.

Experience: Each squad had fought with Minerva in a few battles and had gained enough combat experience to make recruits blush, though they are nowhere near 'grizzled veterans' status...yet.

Weaponry/Special: Making use of specialized squads, Minerva have ensured that each squad receives the proper tools for the role they play:

• Recon Squad Raven - Other than camo-cloaks and standard-issued rifles, Raven also received a few sniper rifles for the marksmen among them and anti-armor grenades. They travel light to move more quickly and quietly
  • Tactical Squad Owl - Besides the standard-issued gear and rifles, Owl received submachine guns and anti-armor rifles as well as frag and smoke grenades.
  • Assault Squad Peregrine - Other than body armor and standard-issued shotguns, Peregrine also received a few heavy machine guns and grenade launchers as well as flash bangs

Leadership: Though she cannot claim to be the greatest leader in history, Minerva have nevertheless earned the respect of her soldiers due to getting them in (mostly) one piece during the battles they'd fought as a part of. Stoic and calculating, Minerva trusts her sergeants' judgments in following whatever orders she gives them. Despite being expected to take sole credit for whatever victories her squads achieved, Minerva is one of the officers who chooses to give credit when it is due, giving much of it to her subordinates while retaining very little for herself, earning her no small amount of respect from them. Though she usually stays in the rear to command her squad, Minerva would occasionally fight alongside one of her squad whenever she feel that they need her skills, presence, or Alreona.

Alreona: Apollo, who resembled a teenaged, male version of Minerva, totes around an anti-material rifle that he is strong enough to use while standing. He is skilled enough to fire a round at the vision slit of an enemy Alchemech from seventy meters away, yet is strong enough to use it as a makeshift club whenever necessary. Apollo is very tough, which is particular useful at making up for his relatively low agility. Unlike the stoic Minerva, Apollo is jovial and prone to wisecracking at enemies. He can also be silly at times, much to Minerva's chagrin. Though most officers would frown at having such an Alreona as their bodyguard, Minerva views him pretty much as a son as well as a boost of morale for her soldiers.

Backstory: Born to an urban, middle-class family. Minerva have always wanted to join the military. To her, there was something about its ability to organize and direct troops and resources that intrigued her, plus the prospect of being a part of that structure and moving it according to her whims appealed to her. Though reluctant, her parents gave in and had her enrolled into the nearby Bradenworth Officers' Academy. Graduating among the top percentage, Minerva was assigned threes squads of soldiers she soon modified to fit her needs. As her detachment underwent the crucible of combat several times, the group grew closer and became more specialized up until the present day.

Appearance: Having blonde hair that reached her neck, Minerva has brown eyes and has dark brown skin. She wears an officer uniform befitting her station and a short black cape that covers her right shoulder. Her Alreona, Apollo, looks similar except that his hair comes up to his ears except for the rear strands which are tied into a braid that reaches the base of his skull. He wear a vest over his short sleeved shirt and a red scarf instead of a cape. A thin scar runs from his forehead to just below his left eye. Her squads wear garb and gear best suited for their role, with Raven wearing camo-cloaks, Owl wearing standard gear, and Peregrine wearing body armor and face plates/ gas masks.

Yay~. I was starting to think we wouldn't have an officer.

How many men is in each squad?

Are the camo-cloaks alchemical or mundane?

How heavy is Peregrine's bodyarmor? Riot-Armor like?

Looks good, I like the detail.

Pages: 1 [2] 3