Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How is DF doing?  (Read 944 times)

pepsi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How is DF doing?
« on: September 30, 2018, 08:43:22 am »

Hello,
I didn't have time to play DF in some time, but I did read patch notes from time to time. I am not sure in what state the DF is right now. Is it still struggling to survive or chilling and sending invasions? Are most of yours fortress dead due to FPS or invaders? Thanks for any answers :)
more blood, FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How is DF doing?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:50:56 am »

I think it's in a good way right now. We're still in the middle of a update phase though so some stuff still needs more work.

Invasions are coming (and can be provoked), new stress remix is going through some issues and needs a couple more releases to sort out properly. Tons of extras planned over a few more releases before the next big development phase starts, probably at the beginning of next year. Fps death hasn't changed much in the past 4 years or so, a few optimizations have helped speed things up a bit. So whether it's 'good' or not really depends when you last played and what your expectations are.

A long way from being anywhere near complete is a good summary perhaps...

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:44:11 am »

Yeah the recent stress rewrite makes the game either harder than it has been in years, or kind of broken. Apparently donations to Toady are on a good level and trending up, if that's any indication.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 11:51:00 am »

The stress changes seem to have resulted in some losses you can't avoid, because those dorfs are lost cases mentally. However, as a whole it seems you can keep a fortress going (individual losses: not a fortress wide spiral). This means it's a little bit harder than it was in 0.40.X to get things to move smoothly, but there have been a fair number of nice additions as well.
There are bugs, of course, and there are occasional crashes (of course). Make backups or run the risk of losing your fortress.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 12:20:49 pm »

Yea I have a dorf quite sad for being separated to his loved ones and he has quite a family, so it seems that there is a bad thought stacking for each member of the family, which is quite a pain in the ass
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

pepsi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 12:55:30 pm »

Thanks for posts guys, I'm going to play it once again. Do you have any important advices that I should look after, or is it stress main enemy now?
more blood, FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 01:34:32 pm »

well the military screen is always messy
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress