Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Rune Race: Iqua Thread  (Read 17609 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Iqua Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2018, 11:17:48 am »

I agree that meaning mastery might have interesting results, but I feel like expanding the number of meanings we can use is more important right now.

Also, I feel like that description of summoning might be too vague? I'll check with the GM.

E:
Quote from: Discord
NUKE9.13 Today at 6:19 PM
@GM is SC's summoning question answerable?
(The one in the thread)
Talion Today at 6:20 PM
It is a little broad.
Just delete the last sentence to avoid confusion.

Maybe something like this would be better:

Golems: With the lack of horses on the island, we need to get creative when it comes to beasts of war. To this end, we are looking in to the possibility of granting 'life' to unliving rock or clay.

(Assuming that I understand what you're going for correctly)

E2: So, I just had a thought- there's pretty much no way that we'll be able to apply what we learn from a summoning inquiry this turn, right? So there's no loss if we delay it for a phase. That way, we'd have more information, and could use the hint token for something else if what we learn this phase suggests that would be better.
Like, if we got a very specific answer to our other inquiry, we could use the hint token for an experiment instead. But if we get an answer suggesting we need more experience with other runes, we could use it on the summoning inquiry.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:16:12 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2018, 10:25:07 am »

As general hints occur outside of phases and you have a large enough majority vote wise, here is the Induce Fear hint.

Hint Token: Induce Fear
Chanting as the system of elemental expression is the best path to inflicting fear upon the enemy. Care should be taken with the first Rune of the Chant as not all elements are appropriate, in particular, the element of water seems likely to drown fear rather than lighting it. For the second Rune, the element of fire is needed as an element of passion. For the third Rune, the element of shadow should suffice, for fear lies in fire’s shadow.

Chanting: Rune, Meaning(Fire), Meaning(Shadow) - Path to Induce Fear

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2018, 10:42:17 am »

Okay. Well, this reinforces my desire to hold on to the other hint token, as I feel we might need a few tries to get that to work, and I'd rather unlock it ASAP.
Ie, I'd like to use the hint token next phase to try and unlock an Induce Fear chant. Not this phase, because I think we might need Control. I'm thinking maybe... Attack(Fire), Form(Fire), Control(Shadow)? The hint says that the first rune should 'ignite' fear, which I think means Attack(Fire). The second rune needs to be Fire, but I'm not sure whether it should be Control(Fire) or Form(Fire). The third rune should use the meaning the second rune doesn't, I think.
But I might be totally wrong. So if we want to be able to deploy this chant ASAP (which I think we do), we need to set aside multiple experiments.

Quote from: Botevox
Discovery Phase
Investigate - Control: (2) NUKE9.13, Rockeater
Investigate - Form: (1) SC

Hint Token
“Summoning”: (2) SC, Rockeater
Do not use: (1) NUKE9.13

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2018, 08:45:54 am »

After reviewing the previous hint, I realised that it was misleading which is not the intent of a hint. As a result I'm updating the hint below:

Hint Token: Induce Fear
Chanting as the system of elemental expression is the best path to inflicting fear upon the enemy. Care should be taken with the first Rune of the Chant as not all elements are appropriate, in particular, the element of fire seems likely to devour fear consuming it for fuel. Likewise, water is likely to drown fear though with our mastery of water we believe it might be possible to transfer it. For the second Rune, the element of fire is needed as an element of passion. For the third Rune, the element of shadow should suffice, for fear lies in fire’s shadow.

Chanting: Rune, Meaning(Fire), Meaning(Shadow) - Path to Induce Fear

Apologies for the confusion.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2018, 04:39:15 pm »

Discovery Phase

Investigate Runic Component: Control Meaning
A pyramid shape with an eye indent on each face.

Hint Token: Golems
Earth magic is naturally static, bound by rules and procedures. Yet once understood, it moves with momentum and complexity few magics can match. The path to golems must surely lie with an understanding of the earth that we would animate.

It is now Spring, Turn 0 Design Phase

Spoiler: Rune Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2018, 05:57:39 pm »

Chanters for Reinforcement of Cutting:
Through the construction of a sanctuary outside the main part of Iquan territory, the construction of a sandstone area and camp centered around an oasis is created for the creation of the current chanters who utilized their chants to sharpen their tools, and are trained for war in which the chanters are sent to the archers and warriors where they use their chant to help the men into battle, with weapons of improved penetrating capabilities. The creation of this sanctuary will mean when further chants are researched and refined, that new sects of chanters can be created through adding to the current infrastructure, both physical and the creation of new traditions of the war chanters to follow.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:23:36 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2018, 10:17:39 pm »

See? Waste of a hint token.

Shadow, I'm sorry, but that proposal is almost illegible. You might want to reread it and try to explain things in an easier to understand manner.

E: Much better, thanks.

E2: That's fine as a basic design for a chanting school. I started writing this intending it to be just fluff for our chanters, but now I think it might classify as a follow-up design/revision instead:

Blademonks: Chanting requires dedication and practice. So does swordsmanship. A sword drill can also be a meditative exercise, and chanting practice can also build stamina. Why should chanters using Reinforcement of Cutting be limited to applying their gifts to others? Let them engage in self-improvement, and train as Blademonks.
Of note, the 'Monk' in 'Blademonk' does not have a religious meaning, but rather refers to one who retreats from the world to contemplate various matters, free from the chaos of everyday life. Holed up in the Chanter's Sanctuary, they will not only train in chanting and swordsmanship, they will also consider what it means to cut, to separate what was once whole. They will cut many things; cloth, wood, metal, (animal) flesh, intently studying the effect cutting has on them all. See how the edge of the cloth frays where it was cut? See the wood, cutting easily with the grain, but resisting when cut against it? See the metal, thinking itself master of cutting, sliced as cleanly as any other? See how life departs as the flesh is cleaved open? With every incision, a lesson is learnt, and the aspirant comes one step closer to enlightenment.
Which is great for them, but also good for us, since an intuitive understanding of the art of cutting is very applicable in combat; Blademonks will wield their swords like scalpels, knowing exactly where to strike to sever the enemy's life with minimal effort. A wise general may direct a squad of Blademonks to split an enemy line in two, confident in the knowledge that no armour can withstand their onslaught.

E3: I asked the GM some questions on Discord:
Quote from: Discord
NUKE9.13 Today at 1:33 PM
@GM I'm guessing my Blademonk proposal would fall under the category of elite chanters. Am I correct in thinking that means we'd need to do a design for basic Reinforcement of Cutting chanters first, and can't jump straight to Blademonks? Also, hypothetical elite units, are they like National-Effort things where they can only be deployed on one flank?
Talion Today at 1:34 PM
No, you have the backing of the existing effect to incorporate into your design.
Your Blademonks would be able to use the Cutting chant and non-elite chanters would not.
Actually am I reading your question correctly
Elite units are considered Very Expensive. They appear on all fronts.
NUKE9.13 Today at 1:38 PM
Well, let me put the question in a less confusing manner:
-Can we design Blademonks right now?
Talion Today at 1:38 PM
Yes
NUKE9.13 Today at 1:40 PM
Alright.
So, does
"Your Blademonks would be able to use the Cutting chant and non-elite chanters would not."
mean that if we just did a generic chanting school, we'd get chanters capable of using multiple chants, but less competent?
Talion Today at 1:44 PM
You already have non-battle trained chanters. So you could focus on a way of deploying a chant that was applicable to them. You can build a chanting school for chanters capable of using multiple chants (although only 1 per season). The benefit of something like Blademonk is the combat training that comes with the chant usage.
NUKE9.13 Today at 1:46 PM
Cool, thanks. I think I get it now.
So, I think there's value in both options- one gives us the flexibility to change what chants we use later, whilst the other gives us a more powerful effect right now.
I feel we need an elite unit capable of striking a decisive blow in battles- our common troops are decent, but pikemen work best when supported by shock troops.

Quote from: Xobetov
Blademonks: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:23:28 am by NUKE9.13 »

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2018, 09:11:19 am »

Joining Iqua and voting a plus one for the idea of blade monks. I more or less just find it cool the idea of a formation of elite warriors in the vanguard cutting down all before them.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2018, 11:34:46 am »

Blademonks: (3) NUKE9.13, UristMcRiley, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »

Blademonks: (4) NUKE9.13, UristMcRiley, Rockeater, Detoxicated

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2018, 08:12:36 am »

Design Phase

Design: Blademonks
Chanting requires dedication and practice. So does swordsmanship. A sword drill can also be a meditative exercise, and chanting practice can also build stamina. Why should chanters using Reinforcement of Cutting be limited to applying their gifts to others? Let them engage in self-improvement, and train as Blademonks.
Of note, the 'Monk' in 'Blademonk' does not have a religious meaning, but rather refers to one who retreats from the world to contemplate various matters, free from the chaos of everyday life. Holed up in the Chanter's Sanctuary, they will not only train in chanting and swordsmanship, they will also consider what it means to cut, to separate what was once whole. They will cut many things; cloth, wood, metal, (animal) flesh, intently studying the effect cutting has on them all. See how the edge of the cloth frays where it was cut? See the wood, cutting easily with the grain, but resisting when cut against it? See the metal, thinking itself master of cutting, sliced as cleanly as any other? See how life departs as the flesh is cleaved open? With every incision, a lesson is learnt, and the aspirant comes one step closer to enlightenment.
Which is great for them, but also good for us, since an intuitive understanding of the art of cutting is very applicable in combat; Blademonks will wield their swords like scalpels, knowing exactly where to strike to sever the enemy's life with minimal effort. A wise general may direct a squad of Blademonks to split an enemy line in two, confident in the knowledge that no armour can withstand their onslaught.

Roll: 3 -1 (Hard) = 2 (Heavily Flawed)

The order of warriors known as the Blademonks has been founded. A gathering place for chanters who seek to learn to fight with the aid of the cutting chant. The first problem became immediately clear when Blademonks attempted to spar with each other while under the effects of the chant. The cutting power of their attacks is simply too dangerous. To counteract this problem the monks switched to a highly formalised system where only the designated attacker may attack and only the designated defender may defend. Only once a monk has proven their ability to avoid hurting their partner during non-chant using drills to the satisfaction of their teacher will spars advance to chant spars. Each attack and defense learned is carefully scripted so that both sides know how to play their part in the spar.

The second problem is discovered as the Blademonks practice their study of cutting. The swords they use cannot stand up to the mighty power of the cutting chant. Everything is cut, even the very blades used to do the cutting. In order to deploy to battle, it is considered wise if a Blademonk is armed with seven swords, to account for all the blades they will break over the course of such a fight. Such a burden of blades forces the Blademonk to forgo all defense, as armour would only impede their movements and a shield is one less sword to carry. The Blademonks can only look to the blue steel of their enemies in envy, dreaming they will one day carry weapons worthy of their might.

It is now Spring, Turn 0 Revision Phase

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2018, 09:31:36 am »

Damnit.  Blademonks flopped, though think 7 Sword aspect makes them Rule of Cool, but yeah seriously.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2018, 09:33:11 am »

Well, our luck was bound to run out eventually. Although yeah, the idea of someone wading into battle with seven swords strapped to their body is kinda cool.

Of the two Blademonk issues, I think it'd be better to work on the first right now. The swords breaking is obviously not ideal, but any revision we do now to fix that wouldn't be as effective as it could be if we had the right alchemical recipe to quench metal in to harden it. Something where all three runes are Earth might do the trick. (For that matter, it might be wise to hold off on improving our armour until we've got that under our belts).
So I'd like to improve the Blademonks' training.

The Three Styles: We fear that the Blademonks' strictly choreographed sparring will not prepare them for the rigours of actual combat. Therefore, in conjunction with our finest warriors- and the Blademonks themselves-, we have devised new methods that will better train them for battle.
Henceforth, Blademonks will learn three 'styles'; Chantless Blade, Guarding Blade, and Killing Blade.
Chantless Blade, as the name suggests, involves fighting in a manner that does not rely on Reinforcement of Cutting. It focuses primarily on swords, but the use of spears, or no weapons, will also feature. This form shall be practised most often, as it most closely resembles real combat- before surpassing conventional methods, one must understand them. Non-Blademonk warriors may be brought in to aid in Chantless Blade training.
Guarding Blade will most closely resemble their current training regime, as it shall feature a dedicated attacker, and a dedicated defender. The defender is to learn how to use Reinforcement of Cutting to defend themselves; to slice through spears, swords, and whatever else an attacker may throw at them. To avoid injury during training, Guarding Blade will focus on defence only, and will not delve into counter-attacking.
Killing Blade will, like Chantless Blade, be (usually) practised without chanting. Wooden training swords are used, and fighters will wear padded armour across their body. The goal is to perform strikes that would be lethal in as efficient a manner as possible. Blocking is not allowed, as in actual combat, RoC-enhanced strikes could not be blocked. It is hoped that the focus on efficiency will reduce the number of swords a Blademonk will go through in battle, although this is not the top priority.
In actual combat, Blademonks will of course use a combination of these styles as suits their circumstances. Lessons brought back from combat may be integrated into the training program to improve future performance as well.

Quote from: Votebox
The Three Styles: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:30:08 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2018, 11:04:48 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
The Three Styles: (2) NUKE9.13, Happerry
[/quote]
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2018, 10:33:52 am »

A few more votes would be great.

Anyway, assuming no upsets, we should be getting a hint token next turn. I'd like to use it in the discovery phase to try Alchemy:Ward(Earth), Form(Earth), Control(Earth). Alternatively, if we feel that might not work, we could spend it to get info as to what recipe would work for what we're looking for, to wit an alchemical substance that will make iron considerably stronger when it is quenched in it. It stands to reason that if recipes with Form(Water) make it more flexible, recipes with Form(Earth) should make it stronger, right? I think Ward(Earth) is also appropriate. I'm not entirely sure about the last rune, but I figure we aren't looking to attack stuff with this.
The reason I'd like to do the experiment in the discovery phase is so that, if successful, we can immediately use it in the design phase to create stronger equipment. We could modify our existing equipment with a revision, so the scenario where we use the hint token for information and do the experiment in the design phase will still solve our breaking swords issue. But I envision designing light armour- light in cost and weight alike- that is nevertheless respectably sturdy. Then, with the knowledge of making stuff out of this stronger metal under our belts, spend a revision solely focused on getting better swords (as opposed to merely figuring out and applying the technique to our existing swords).

Of course, things depend on the outcome of combat. If the Blademonks turn out to be less useful than I expect (perhaps their steel is actually capable of stopping RoC-enhanced blades), then it might not make sense to improve their swords. But I think better metallurgy is something that is almost guaranteed to be useful.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20