Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Rune Race: Iqua Thread  (Read 17597 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Iqua Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »

Alright, so, we should probably work on our defences a little. Especially our pikemen could use more protection.

Hands-Free Shield: Pikes are great and all, but requiring two hands means you can't hold a shield. Or can you? By making our shields slightly smaller, and adding a strap, they can be hung from the neck to cover the left arm, shoulder, and chest. It's not as useful as a regular shield, but it should still offer our pikemen a previously unattainable level of protection.

Alt,

Partial Armour: Padded "Armour" is better than nothing, but only just. Yet a full suit of chainmail is too expensive to equip all our soldiers. The solution? Partial armour. By taking a set of padded armour and adding simple metal plates to cover vulnerable areas (chest, forearms, shins), we can drastically increase survivability without breaking the bank. Coverage may be reduced if necessary to keep the cost at 1 ore.

I think the latter is probably better, as it would help our regular spearmen as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:17:38 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2018, 10:37:43 pm »

Hands-Free Hardened Shield: Pikes are great and all, but requiring two hands means you can't hold a shield, but their are a reason our bodies have developed shoulders By making our shields slightly smaller and iron point in the middle of the wooden shield for handling tougher blows, and adding a leather strap, they can be hung from the neck to cover the left arm, shoulder, and chest. It's not as useful as a regular shield, but it should still offer our pikemen a previously unattainable level of protection.

Quote from: BoxOfVoting
Hands-Free Shield
Hands-Free Hardened Shield: (1) SC
Partial Armor

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2018, 11:49:15 pm »

Hands-Free Shield
Hands-Free Hardened Shield: (2) SC, Rockeater
Partial Armor
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2018, 02:21:19 am »

Well, like I said, I prefer an upgrade to our armour, since that would also help our regular spearmen (and possibly our archers as well, depending on how much it reduces mobility). I think adding a spike to the shield is a sensible improvement, though.

Hands-Free Shield
Hands-Free Hardened Shield: (2) SC, Rockeater
Partial Armour: (1) NUKE9.13

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2018, 02:57:48 am »

I prefer the shield because it's a better at defending against arrows which, considering the fact our pikes will probably outrange them in melee, is probably a bigger concern
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2018, 10:13:40 am »

Also, we need to vote on a flag, yes? I haven't received any feedback on my last proposal, which I assume means everyone thinks it is perfect.

Quote from: Flagbox
Starless Night: (1) NUKE9.13
Black Moon:
Flag of Many Colours:

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:48 am »

Quote from: Flagbox
Starless Night: (2) NUKE9.13, Rockeater
Black Moon:
Flag of Many Colours:

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2018, 10:46:54 am »

It was pointed out to me that we have another turn after this before combat. We can do both, in other words. So to speed things along, I'll vote for the shield.

Hands-Free Shield
Hands-Free Hardened Shield: (3) SC, Rockeater, NUKE9.13
Partial Armour:

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2018, 10:05:57 am »

Revision Phase

Hands-Free Hardened Shield
Pikes are great and all, but requiring two hands means you can't hold a shield, but there is a reason our bodies have developed shoulders By making our shields slightly smaller and iron point in the middle of the wooden shield for handling tougher blows, and adding a leather strap, they can be hung from the neck to cover the left arm, shoulder, and chest. It's not as useful as a regular shield, but it should still offer our pikemen a previously unattainable level of protection.

Roll: 7 (Normal) = Unexpected Boon

This new shield is not as effective as a conventional shield would be if our pikemen are forced into close combat, but then our pikemen are ill-equipped for that eventuality anyway. The shield instead shows its worth during pike vs pike battles. Against archery fire, a pikeman may free a hand to raise the shield, although its coverage is not perfect for that role.
Cost: Cheap (Land 1, Ore 1)

The skill of our crafters have inspired our researchers and they have redoubled their efforts to equip the army with the magical support of the Runes.

Gain a Hint Token.

It is now Winter, Turn -1 Battle Phase
Flag voting is closed.

Resources: Land 2, Ore 1, Mana 2, 1x Hint Token

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2018, 10:25:01 am »

So do we devise a battle plan?

I am keen to see our troops abilities, we didn't do too bad I think.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2018, 10:26:29 am »

This turn we only get scouting report.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2018, 02:31:00 pm »

Battle Phase

Core Turn -1 Battle

Our scouts sent into the mountains are stymied by the harsh weather of winter. The high passes are closed, preventing our scouts from reaching the fabled ruins of Arcanis said to be found beyond them. Our generals believe siege weapons and other fortifications could be set up on our side of the passes both to defend them and provide some measure of support for our city should it be threatened. As for the high passes, they will thaw in spring but could be a continual issue every winter without a way to protect against the harsh climate.

In the center, the most accessible path we are thus far victorious. There is some concern the hilly terrain might inconvenience our pikes, allowing the Loji forces to ambush them. The blue steel of the Loji is concerning for it seems the equal of anything the Star nation can produce. If it has any less mundane properties, we have not been able to detect them.

Beyond the savanah to the east, lie forests that we are only just beginning to find paths through. No sign of the Loji so far, but we suspect we could run into them when we reach the deeper jungles beyond.

At home our fishing boats risk the water, fearing the arrival of the great ships of the Star to sink them in the name of maintaining the exile.

Spoiler: Lanes (click to show/hide)

Infrastructure
It is possible to design large-scale projects known as infrastructure. These projects can be used to deploy magical effects more cheaply than might otherwise be possible. For alchemy this allows the creation of recipe production buildings that provide a mana discount on the cost of one recipe. Such buildings are national expense buildings that gradually increase production the more they are invested in.

For chanting this takes the form of creating elite units of chanters with each type of chanter capable of deploying a single type of effect. Such chanters can be upgraded with techniques for their effect that allow them to use it more effectively.

Resources: Land 2, Ore 1, Mana 2, 2x Hint Token

Spoiler: Rune Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2018, 02:55:47 pm »

Okay, here's a plan:

Hint Token - 'Induce Fear': Having seen the terror that dwells within the depths of Shadow, we got to thinking, what if we made the enemy experience it? We shall begin looking into the possibility of magic that uses Shadow to induce fear.

Investigate - Control

(I suspect that Control would be needed in a fear-inducing spell)

E: Alternative plans proposed on Discord include using a hint token to inquire into summoning, which would indeed be quite useful. The reason I prefer fear is that it's closer to hand, whereas summoning (useful) stuff may take many turns to reach. Suggestions of doing something that doesn't use Shadow at all strike me as inefficient as well; we've unlocked Shadow, requiring a not insubstantial amount of effort, it stands to reason that it can produce more powerful effects than just the terrestrial elements can. Not to say we can never do non-Shadow stuff, but we should harvest the low-hanging fruit at least. Fear magic is an obvious use for Shadow, I think, and there's not a general in the world who would say no to being able to strike fear in the hearts of their enemies at will.

Quote from: Botevox
Discovery Phase
Investigate - Control: (1) NUKE9.13

Hint Token 1
'Induce Fear': (1) NUKE9.13
Do not use:

Hint Token 2
Do not use: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:46:38 am by NUKE9.13 »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2018, 11:02:45 am »

Summoning: To provide life to the elements, to create forces that are not humans to direct for war. The creation of servants under the Iguan command is questioned and how is it possibility, the pursuit of earth for the creation of artificial life of rock, as in golems. Or the providing of life engraved onto rock and water to provide this power?.

Investigate - Form

(Seeing what Mastery over a meaning does When be greatly knowledge when we pursue the other meanings)

Discovery Phase
Investigate - Control: (1) NUKE9.13
Investigate - Form: (1) SC

Hint Token 1
“Induce Fear”: (2) NUKE9.13, SC
Do not use:

Hint Token 2
“Summoning”: (1) SC

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2018, 11:11:54 am »

Discovery Phase
Investigate - Control: (2) NUKE9.13, Rockeater
Investigate - Form: (1) SC

Hint Token 1
“Induce Fear”: (3) NUKE9.13, SC, Rockeater
Do not use:

Hint Token 2
“Summoning”: (2) SC, Rockeater
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20